all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* addresses: works around gnunet-gtk, gnunet, attention push for powwow, un-font, general question
@ 2016-03-09 15:14 Nils Gillmann
From: Nils Gillmann @ 2016-03-09 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Multiple questions:
Hi,

I am curious (not impatient) about if people with commit access
are just busy and/or focused on other issues or if my way to
reply to my own messages and make threads a bit uncomfortable to
read and update information gets lost as I mainly use nntp access
via gmane.org now and don't CC people anymore.
If there's something I can do to improve this situation, I am
open for suggestions.

There's 2 fixed packages, this one with the fixed patch for the
new package un-font, which will for now be hosted at my sdf.org
account:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-03/msg00244.html
if you still spot issues, try to search the thread for a newer
one without issues as indeed, the threading became bad,

and this one for powwow, fixes all issues:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-03/msg00282.html

Then there's the recent patch for gnunet-gtk 0.10.1, a short
message exchange with Christian Grothoff, Jookia, and myself
today leads to the following conclusion which will be further
explained in a new patch series coming either today or on sunday:

- we will keep 0.10.1 (please apply the recent patch I did send)
- I will modify the description of 0.10.1 related packages of
  gnunet and gnunet-gtk to relect cg's and my conversation's
  outcome.
- gnunet will get a new, additional package, co-authored with
  Jookia, using a recent svn checkout which will be explained
  in the message send with the patch.
TL;DR in before I send them:

0.10.1 is old. There has been no new release so far because the
next one needs to be stable. CADET has open bugs which need to be
fixed to get to a new release candidate. API *and* protocol
compability will break with /newer/ versions than 0.10.1 (0.10.1
incompatible towards >0.10.1), which is why you should use SVN
when you want to test the in development network stack and the
application developed around and inside it, to get a 2 year old
version of it is bound to provide an outdated experience.

Regarding un-font and hosting:
Outcome of the conversation with IN-Berlin so far was, that due
to the nature of their project they have no common shared
infrastructure for a public download server, but my intention is
to introduce them to GuixSD at some point when it is functional
enough for production servers. Un-font file will remain on my
sdf.org space for the time being, when traffic should get too
much, I will use one of my servers and set up an access for file
hosting purposes and also upload it to more public/cdn spaces to
provide more than just one url. (then again: it's only one font
so far...)

I will be gone from thursday evening to sunday morning to the
Logan CIJ Symposium but try to get my gnunet changes finished
either before, during or afterwards.

thanks & happy hacking,
--
ng
personal contact: http://krosos.sdf.org

* Re: addresses: works around gnunet-gtk, gnunet, attention push for powwow, un-font, general question
@ 2016-03-14  9:17 ` Nils Gillmann
From: Nils Gillmann @ 2016-03-14  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Nils Gillmann <niasterisk@grrlz.net> writes:

> Then there's the recent patch for gnunet-gtk 0.10.1, a short
> message exchange with Christian Grothoff, Jookia, and myself
> today leads to the following conclusion which will be further
> explained in a new patch series coming either today or on sunday:
>
> - we will keep 0.10.1 (please apply the recent patch I did send)
> - I will modify the description of 0.10.1 related packages of
>   gnunet and gnunet-gtk to relect cg's and my conversation's
>   outcome.
> - gnunet will get a new, additional package, co-authored with
>   Jookia, using a recent svn checkout which will be explained
>   in the message send with the patch.
> TL;DR in before I send them:
>
> 0.10.1 is old. There has been no new release so far because the
> next one needs to be stable. CADET has open bugs which need to be
> fixed to get to a new release candidate. API *and* protocol
> compability will break with /newer/ versions than 0.10.1 (0.10.1
> incompatible towards >0.10.1), which is why you should use SVN
> when you want to test the in development network stack and the
> application developed around and inside it, to get a 2 year old
> version of it is bound to provide an outdated experience.

correction: will break WHEN a new release candidate is out, I
can't confirm or deny 0.10.1 vs svn checkout compability issues,
but my personal experience with 0.10.1 vs svn is definitely that
the 0.10.1 had big networking issues for my setup, svn just
works.

In addition, the description really needs the update I send out
with the patch last weekend. It will soon match the description
on gnunet.org as I will update it there too in a way which is
similar to the one provided here.