all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gash and Geesh together at last
@ 2018-12-13  4:28 Timothy Sample
From: Timothy Sample @ 2018-12-13  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: Rutger van Beusekom

Hi Guix,

I am very happy to announce that Gash and Geesh are merging into a
single project.  Jan and I discussed this earlier today, and decided
that the time has come.  We worked out a list of goodies from each
project that we should be able to zip together into an even greater
whole.

(A quick bit of context: Gash and Geesh are both shells written in Guile
Scheme and designed for, among other things, being part of the Guix
bootstrap process.)

Roughly speaking, the plan is to take the interface, interpreter,
utilities, most of the built-ins, and the test suite from Gash, and put
that with the parser, environment, word-splitting module, a handful of
built-ins, and the test suites from Geesh.  We decided that it will
probably be easier to move code from Gash into Geesh, so that is what
I’ll be working on next.  I plan to do it in small steps, so there
should be lots of visible progress as it all comes together.

For the final project, I’m hoping we can keep the name Gash, since it is
the older of the two.

-- Tim

* Re: Gash and Geesh together at last
@ 2018-12-14 11:06 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-12-14 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy Sample; +Cc: guix-devel, Rutger van Beusekom

Hi Timothy!

Timothy Sample <samplet@ngyro.com> skribis:

> I am very happy to announce that Gash and Geesh are merging into a
> single project.  Jan and I discussed this earlier today, and decided
> that the time has come.  We worked out a list of goodies from each
> project that we should be able to zip together into an even greater
> whole.

I’m really happy you found a rough path towards a merged project!  The
three of you have been doing awesome work and I’m sure the merged
project will be even more impressive.

This is an important milestone in our quest to reduce bootstrap
binaries!

Thank you,
Ludo’.

* Re: Gash and Geesh together at last
@ 2018-12-14 12:10   ` Jan Nieuwenhuizen
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen @ 2018-12-14 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel, Rutger van Beusekom

Ludovic Courtès writes:

Hi!

> Timothy Sample <samplet@ngyro.com> skribis:
>
>> I am very happy to announce that Gash and Geesh are merging into a
>> single project.  Jan and I discussed this earlier today, and decided
>> that the time has come.  We worked out a list of goodies from each
>> project that we should be able to zip together into an even greater
>> whole.
>
> I’m really happy you found a rough path towards a merged project!  The
> three of you have been doing awesome work and I’m sure the merged
> project will be even more impressive.

Thanks, yes I'm very happy too!  We'll first have to create a rough
merger, then make it really work and hopefully also chat about a path
forward.  I think Gash and Geesh had slightly different priorities in
their goals but I am sure that will work out perfectly.

> This is an important milestone in our quest to reduce bootstrap
> binaries!

Indeed, I have been experimenting somewhat with Gash on the
wip-bootstrap branch in an attempt to remove coreutils&co and am now
blocked for missing functionality.

Once we have this merger in place I suspect we may see a lot of progress
on the Scheme-only bootstrap front :-)

janneke

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org