all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* SANE / simple-scan working for anyone?
@ 2019-03-04 19:03 Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2019-03-04 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Has anyone successfully scanned documents with SANE on a Guix System?

I just tried running 'simple-scan' with a CanoScan N1240U/LiDE 30
connected via USB, which has "complete" support according to the SANE
docs.  Although "lsusb" shows the scanner:

  mhw@jojen ~$ lsusb
  Bus 006 Device 002: ID 04a9:220e Canon, Inc. CanoScan N1240U/LiDE 30

'simple-scan' says "No scanners detected".  I took a look at the
'strace' output, and one thing I noticed is that it tries to open
/dev/usb/, which doesn't exist on my system.

Before I spend more time investigating, does anyone else have insight on
this?  Has anyone successfully used USB scanners on Guix systems?

        Mark

* Re: SANE / simple-scan working for anyone?
@ 2019-03-04 20:27 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2019-03-04 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel

Mark,

What a coincidence:

Mark H. Weaver wrote:
> I just tried running 'simple-scan' with a CanoScan N1240U/LiDE
> 30
> connected via USB, which has "complete" support according to the
> SANE
> docs.  Although "lsusb" shows the scanner:

I had the exact same problem yesterday with my CanoScan N670U/LiDE
20, which has also been fully supported by SANE for over a decade.
Neither Simple Scan nor xsane reported any scanners.  I ended up
borrowing an Ubuntu machine to do the job…

I left home immediately after and won't be able to test it further
before the end of the week.

> Has anyone successfully scanned documents with SANE on a Guix
> System?

Yes, but I hadn't tried recently.

Kind regards,

T G-R

* Re: SANE / simple-scan working for anyone?
@ 2019-03-07  1:17   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2019-03-07  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: guix-devel

Mark,

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote:
> Mark H. Weaver wrote:
>> I just tried running 'simple-scan' with a CanoScan N1240U/LiDE
>> 30
>> connected via USB, which has "complete" support according to
>> the
>> SANE
>> docs.  Although "lsusb" shows the scanner:
>
> I had the exact same problem yesterday with my CanoScan
> N670U/LiDE 20,
> which has also been fully supported by SANE for over a decade.

(Try 18 years.  Yikes…)

I am able to scan after commit
abe6e670d356b8333b41c7359c0ab25a58fe736b.

Could you confirm that this works for you, too, and close this
bug?

Kind regards,

T G-R

* Re: SANE / simple-scan working for anyone?
@ 2019-03-07  1:22     ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2019-03-07  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote:
> Could you confirm that this works for you, too, and close this
> bug?

…in your mind and heart, since this is guix-devel…

Bed time,

T G-R

* Re: SANE / simple-scan working for anyone?
@ 2019-03-17  2:57       ` Jack Hill
From: Jack Hill @ 2019-03-17  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, guix-devel

Mark,

Did you end up getting your scanning issue resolved? You may have seem my
own scanning-related adventures over on help-guix [0] where I discovered
that adding the udev rules from sane-backends was needed. The service
definition that I used to add them is:

(simple-service 'sane-udev-rules udev-service-type (list sane-backends))

I found that looking at the output of `scanimage -L` from the
sane-backends package (yes there are user-facing tools in there ☺) as both
my user and root helpful.

Best,
Jack

[0] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2019-03/msg00071.html

* Re: SANE / simple-scan working for anyone?
@ 2019-03-17 12:22         ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2019-03-17 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Hill; +Cc: guix-devel

Jack,

Jack Hill wrote:
> Mark,

I'm not Mark, but that's my cross to bear.  I'll answer anyway
since we share an ancient USB scanner and a reproducible OS.

> Did you end up getting your scanning issue resolved?

Yes and no.  I ended up doing all my scanning with the
command-line ‘scanimage’ (and adding PNG support to it), and
cropping with the GIMP where needed.  Not ideal but it works
reliably.

Simple Scan doesn't.  It recognises my scanner (not a difficult
job and SANE's to boot), but actually scanning (slowly) produces a
black page, without moving the scanner head at all.

Sometimes Simple Scan will suddenly work *after* I've scanned
something with ‘scanimage’ directly.  Other times, it still won't.

XSANE (which isn't on master yet) just freezes as soon as I hit
the ‘Scan’ button.

Both GUIs worked fine with network scanners.

> You may have seem
> my own scanning-related adventures over on help-guix [0] where I
> discovered that adding the udev rules from sane-backends was
> needed. The service definition that I used to add them is:
>
> (simple-service 'sane-udev-rules udev-service-type (list
> sane-backends))
>
> I found that looking at the output of `scanimage -L` from the
> sane-backends package (yes there are user-facing tools in there
> ☺)
> as both my user and root helpful.

Interesting.  Here, being root makes no difference (and I can scan
without sudo).

Kind regards,

T G-R

* Re: SANE / simple-scan working for anyone?
@ 2019-03-17 12:35           ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2019-03-17 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

From the sane-backends change log:

  “Note 3: The Linux USB3 workaround which was added in version
   1.0.25 is now disabled by default. If you have difficulty using
   a scanner which previously worked, or intermittent scanner
   availability, try setting the new environment variable
   SANE_USB_WORKAROUND=1 before starting your frontend.”

I'll try that when I'm reunited with mine.

Kind regards,

T G-R

* Re: SANE / simple-scan working for anyone?
@ 2019-03-18 15:33             ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2019-03-18 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Huh,

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote:
> From the sane-backends change log:
>
>  “Note 3: The Linux USB3 workaround which was added in version
>   1.0.25 is now disabled by default. If you have difficulty
>   using
>   a scanner which previously worked, or intermittent scanner
>   availability, try setting the new environment variable
>   SANE_USB_WORKAROUND=1 before starting your frontend.”
>
> I'll try that when I'm reunited with mine.

This actually worked.

Or at least, simple-scan suddenly started scanning after launching
it a second time, with this variable set.

Kind regards,

T G-R