all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#65056: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/ cannot be accessed through Tor
@ 2023-08-04 16:57 Altadil via Bug reports for GNU Guix
From: Altadil via Bug reports for GNU Guix @ 2023-08-04 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 65056

Hi,
it is no longer possible to get to the bug database at https://issues.guix.gnu.org/ when using Tor Browser. The result is an error message saying: "The connection has timed out".
It looks like a general block of Tor rather than a block of specific IPs, since attempting with different Tor circuits does not change the result.

Best regards,
Altadil

* bug#65056: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/ cannot be accessed through Tor
@ 2023-08-04 19:21 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice via Bug reports for GNU Guix
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice via Bug reports for GNU Guix @ 2023-08-04 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Altadil; +Cc: 65056

Hi Altadil,

On 2023-08-04 18:57, Altadil via Bug reports for GNU Guix wrote:
> it is no longer possible to get to the bug database at
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/ when using Tor Browser.

I forgot to mention this on IRC, but issues. is ‘simply’ a nicer unified
frontend to the venerable GNU Debbugs instance.  You can use its own[1]
interface[2] as a work-around.

> The result is an error message saying: "The connection has timed out".
> It looks like a general block of Tor rather than a block of specific
> IPs, since attempting with different Tor circuits does not change the

The Guix project does not block Tor.  If the datacentre has decided to
block Tor like it blocked most of Russia, there is little we can do but
ask them to reconsider.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent from a Web browser.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.

[1]: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?package=guix
[2]: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?package=guix-patches

* bug#65056: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/ cannot be accessed through Tor
@ 2023-08-04 19:29   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice via Bug reports for GNU Guix
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice via Bug reports for GNU Guix @ 2023-08-04 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: Altadil, 65056

On 2023-08-04 21:21, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice via Bug reports for GNU Guix
wrote:
> The Guix project does not block Tor.  If the datacentre has decided to
> block Tor like it blocked most of Russia, there is little we can do
> but ask them to reconsider.

Didn't mean to sound quite so fatalistic.  We could always migrate
issues. to a different machine, like guix.gnu.org was, but it's not very
satisfying.

@ 2023-08-13  0:25   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2023-08-13  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: guix-sysadmin, Altadil, 65056

(Cc: guix-sysadmin.)

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> skribis:

> On 2023-08-04 18:57, Altadil via Bug reports for GNU Guix wrote:

[...]

>> The result is an error message saying: "The connection has timed out".
>> It looks like a general block of Tor rather than a block of specific
>> IPs, since attempting with different Tor circuits does not change the
>
> The Guix project does not block Tor.  If the datacentre has decided to
> block Tor like it blocked most of Russia, there is little we can do
> but ask them to reconsider.

I think it’s worse than this.  I noticed that ci.guix.gnu.org (same
machine) would occasionally time out on my side, without Tor, starting
from this week (I was on vacation before, so I don’t know exactly when
it started).  From a browser, I get this “DoS attack” HTML page:

[-- Attachment #2: The "DoS attack" page. --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 37908 bytes --]

The HTML doesn’t contain clues as to where it originates from.

$ wget -qO- http://ci.guix.gnu.org | tail
        <title>Attack Detected</title>
    </head>
    <h1>Blocked because of DoS Attack</h1>

Some firewall-ish network equipment must be sitting right before our
machine.  It’s a problem because fetching narinfos and nars is likely to
count as a “DoS attack”.

Could it be some change at the MDC?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* bug#65056: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/ cannot be accessed through Tor
@ 2023-08-13 11:46     ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice via Bug reports for GNU Guix
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice via Bug reports for GNU Guix @ 2023-08-13 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, rekado; +Cc: guix-sysadmin, Altadil, 65056

On 13 August 2023 00:25:51 UTC, "Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>I think it’s worse than this.  I noticed that ci.guix.gnu.org (same
>machine) would occasionally time out on my side, without Tor, starting
>from this week (I was on vacation before, so I don’t know exactly when
>it started).  From a browser, I get this “DoS attack” HTML page:

Oh, wow.  This is new to me.

It's frustrating that $IT keeps adding new significant hurdles with apparently 0 communications, and that our only option is often 'ask rekado, again, to ask things, again'.  That's not right.

Ricardo, do you think there's a chance this trend will improve (without you burning out)?

Otherwise, I'd like to suggest wireguarding berlin's impressive hardware resources to bayfront or to a new head node not hosted at the MDC, or something similarly provocative.  Just give up on hosting public services there, like we already migrated the home page.  This isn't meaningful redundancy.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent on the go.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.

* bug#65056: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/ cannot be accessed through Tor
@ 2023-08-14  9:07       ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2023-08-14  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: guix-sysadmin, Ludovic Courtès, Altadil, 65056

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> writes:

> On 13 August 2023 00:25:51 UTC, "Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>>I think it’s worse than this.  I noticed that ci.guix.gnu.org (same
>>machine) would occasionally time out on my side, without Tor, starting
>>from this week (I was on vacation before, so I don’t know exactly when
>>it started).  From a browser, I get this “DoS attack” HTML page:
>
> Oh, wow.  This is new to me.
>
> It's frustrating that $IT keeps adding new significant hurdles with
> apparently 0 communications, and that our only option is often 'ask
> rekado, again, to ask things, again'.  That's not right.
>
> Ricardo, do you think there's a chance this trend will improve (without you burning out)?

I don’t know.  I’m on holidays now, but I’ve opened yet another ticket
to get a definitive answer to my more elaborate variant of “WTF?”.

> Otherwise, I'd like to suggest wireguarding berlin's impressive
> hardware resources to bayfront or to a new head node not hosted at the
> MDC, or something similarly provocative.  Just give up on hosting
> public services there, like we already migrated the home page.  This
> isn't meaningful redundancy.

Good plan.

Sorry about this.  It’s frustrating, and I’m stocking up on towels to
throw.

--
Ricardo

* bug#65056: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/ cannot be accessed through Tor
@ 2023-09-08 20:24         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2023-09-08 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: 65056, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, guix-sysadmin, Altadil

Hello!

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> I don’t know.  I’m on holidays now, but I’ve opened yet another ticket
> to get a definitive answer to my more elaborate variant of “WTF?”.

Did you eventually get feedback from them?

If not, we can start looking for a way to move public-facing services
elsewhere.  (It may not be trivial because bayfront, which is the other
node we’ve traditionally used for that, is super busy these days.)

Thanks again for your support…

Ludo’.

* bug#65056: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/ cannot be accessed through Tor
@ 2023-09-12  8:02           ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2023-09-12  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: 65056, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, guix-sysadmin, Altadil

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hello!
>
> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:
>
>> I don’t know.  I’m on holidays now, but I’ve opened yet another ticket
>> to get a definitive answer to my more elaborate variant of “WTF?”.
>
> Did you eventually get feedback from them?

I got one response to ask for more information, which I supplied.
Nothing since.  I requested a response just now.

> If not, we can start looking for a way to move public-facing services
> elsewhere.  (It may not be trivial because bayfront, which is the other
> node we’ve traditionally used for that, is super busy these days.)

Yeah, I’d really like this to be fixed.  It worked pretty well for
years, so these seemingly unnecessary changes and the way they are
applied without any recourse (and without anyone being able to confirm
that they have in fact changed somehing) really bother me.

But if our public services keep getting restricted I agree that we
should look for an alternative way to host them.

--
Ricardo

* bug#65056: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/ cannot be accessed through Tor
@ 2023-09-12 13:06             ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2023-09-12 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus
  Cc: 65056, Ludovic Courtès, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, guix-sysadmin,
	Altadil

Hi Ricardo,

> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:
>>
>>> I don’t know.  I’m on holidays now, but I’ve opened yet another ticket
>>> to get a definitive answer to my more elaborate variant of “WTF?”.
>>
>> Did you eventually get feedback from them?
>
> I got one response to ask for more information, which I supplied.
> Nothing since.  I requested a response just now.
>
>> If not, we can start looking for a way to move public-facing services
>> elsewhere.  (It may not be trivial because bayfront, which is the other
>> node we’ve traditionally used for that, is super busy these days.)
>
> Yeah, I’d really like this to be fixed.  It worked pretty well for
> years, so these seemingly unnecessary changes and the way they are
> applied without any recourse (and without anyone being able to confirm
> that they have in fact changed somehing) really bother me.

Agreed; I think it's premature to jump ship when we've had such a long
and fruitful relationship; let's show some patience and tenacity toward
a resolution.

Maxim

* bug#65056: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/ cannot be accessed through Tor
@ 2023-09-14 21:25             ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2023-09-14 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Altadil, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, guix-sysadmin, 65056

Hi,

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:
>>
>>> I don’t know.  I’m on holidays now, but I’ve opened yet another ticket
>>> to get a definitive answer to my more elaborate variant of “WTF?”.
>>
>> Did you eventually get feedback from them?
>
> I got one response to ask for more information, which I supplied.
> Nothing since.  I requested a response just now.

I confirm that I still get the problem right now from my home network,
without even really trying:

$ wget -qO- --debug http://ci.guix.gnu.org |tail
DEBUG output created by Wget 1.21.3.24-2b723 on linux-gnu.

Reading HSTS entries from /home/ludo/.wget-hsts
URI encoding = ‘UTF-8’
Caching ci.guix.gnu.org => 141.80.181.40
Created socket 3.
Releasing 0x00000000017a8e00 (new refcount 1).

From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2023-09-15  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Altadil, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, guix-sysadmin, 65056

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> I confirm that I still get the problem right now from my home network,
> without even really trying: […]

Is that through Tor or just your ISP?

--
Ricardo

* bug#65056: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/ cannot be accessed through Tor
@ 2023-09-18  9:51                 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2023-09-18  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: 65056, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, Altadil, guix-sysadmin

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> I confirm that I still get the problem right now from my home network,
>> without even really trying: […]
>
> Is that through Tor or just your ISP?

It’s just my ISP, no Tor involved.  I can share privately my home IP
address if that helps investigate the problem; let me know.

Ludo’.

* bug#65056: https://issues.guix.gnu.org available through Tor again
@ 2023-09-18 20:31 ` Altadil via Bug reports for GNU Guix
From: Altadil via Bug reports for GNU Guix @ 2023-09-18 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 65056@debbugs.gnu.org

Hi,

it seems https://issues.guix.gnu.org can again be accessed when using Tor Browser.

Kind regards,
Altadil

* bug#65056: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/ cannot be accessed through Tor
@ 2023-09-20 21:31                   ` Giovanni Biscuolo
From: Giovanni Biscuolo @ 2023-09-20 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, Ricardo Wurmus
  Cc: 65056, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, Altadil, guix-sysadmin

Hi!

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>> I confirm that I still get the problem right now from my home network,
>>> without even really trying: […]
>>
>> Is that through Tor or just your ISP?
>
> It’s just my ISP, no Tor involved.  I can share privately my home IP
> address if that helps investigate the problem; let me know.

Given that Altadil told that the service now can be accessed through Tor
again, can we close this specific bug now?

It would be good to have some feedback from the NOC, just to know /how/
it was resolved (or was just a temporary tech issue), for example that
they do not have a policy to blacklist Tor and whitelist it on demand
(I'm just guessing).

What Ludovic found, anyway, is another issue and we should investigate
if it is worth a new bug report.

I've tested now with the same
  wget -qO- --debug http://ci.guix.gnu.org | tail
and all seems fine from my ISP (now)

Anyway the DoS Attack protection of the network hosting ci.guix.gnu.org
/seems/ problematic: how could it be that home IP resposible of a DoS
attack?  Was it a false positive or was it some temporary problem from
the originating IP network?

We should carefully track this network issues since they have a great
impact on user experience.

Thanks! Gio'

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* bug#65056: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/ cannot be accessed through Tor
@ 2023-09-20 22:45                     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2023-09-20 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Biscuolo
  Cc: 65056, Ludovic Courtès, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, Altadil,
	guix-sysadmin

Giovanni Biscuolo <g@xelera.eu> writes:

> Anyway the DoS Attack protection of the network hosting ci.guix.gnu.org
> /seems/ problematic: how could it be that home IP resposible of a DoS
> attack?  Was it a false positive or was it some temporary problem from
> the originating IP network?

IT had installed some DoS attack protection thing for the DMZ with
different thresholds based on past access patterns.

Upon my request they have now disabled this completely for our IPs
corresponding to ci.guix.gnu.org and its sibling node.

--
Ricardo

* bug#65056: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/ cannot be accessed through Tor
@ 2023-09-21  6:27                       ` Giovanni Biscuolo
From: Giovanni Biscuolo @ 2023-09-21  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Ludovic Courtès, guix-sysadmin, 65056

Hello,

[...]

> IT had installed some DoS attack protection thing for the DMZ with
> different thresholds based on past access patterns.

Probably some of us is using access patterns the "thing" considers
DoS :-)

> Upon my request they have now disabled this completely for our IPs
> corresponding to ci.guix.gnu.org and its sibling node.

Thanks a lot!  We should probably consider this (disable any firewall
protection) as a requirement when one or more of our public facing hosts
firewalling is not under our direct control.

Now we only have berlin and bayfront as public facing hosts... but for
example milan.guix-1 is connected by our build farm via its public IP
(ehrm, time to set up wireguard for that, too).

Anyway, AFAIU this "thing" in berlin network is no more an issue, we do
not need a new bug report IMO.

Thank you!

[...]

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* bug#65056: https://issues.guix.gnu.org available through Tor again
@ 2023-09-21  6:29   ` Giovanni Biscuolo
From: Giovanni Biscuolo @ 2023-09-21  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Altadil, 65056-done

Altadil via Bug reports for GNU Guix <bug-guix@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> it seems https://issues.guix.gnu.org can again be accessed when using
> Tor Browser.

Thank you!  I'm closing this bug, feel free to reopen it if needed.

Best regards, Gio'

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* bug#65056: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/ cannot be accessed through Tor
@ 2023-10-02  8:48                       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2023-10-02  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus
  Cc: Giovanni Biscuolo, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, Altadil, 65056,
	guix-sysadmin

Hello,

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> IT had installed some DoS attack protection thing for the DMZ with
> different thresholds based on past access patterns.
>
> Upon my request they have now disabled this completely for our IPs
> corresponding to ci.guix.gnu.org and its sibling node.

I’m late to the party but this is excellent news, thank you!

I guess we can close the issue now, right?

Ludo’.