all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#22985: using gnune-gtk with ratpoison (gnunet-fs in -gtk nonfunctional) -> needs participation and input
@ 2016-03-11 15:34 Nils Gillmann
From: Nils Gillmann @ 2016-03-11 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 22985

This describes a bug with our gnunet-gtk package I am tracking
now in gnu/packages/gnunet.scm and will include it to refer to in
the patch I will send in as soon as I have enough time on this
conference to rebase my (big) patch of gnunet.scm

Description/Problem:

- Using ratpoison as WM, running gnunet-gtk (svn) gives GSettings
  related errors when opening gnunet-fs (filesharing) tab.
  The error gets more specific when installing gsettings into
  your profile (see irc log, 10.03.2016, grep for "gnunet"
  "gsettings"). I can't be more precise at the moment due to the
  lack of time. I provided some details on IRC on thursday, if I
  have the time this weekend I'll add the exact error messages
  you'll experience, though they are obvious in the terminal
  output.

- Reconfiguring the system with xfce in the desktop profile seems
  to provide more than ratpoison, the bug is gone. I have to
  assume that xfce provides gsettings on its own, and that this
  error is specific to minimal window managers without certain
  X11/gtk profiles or otherwise configuration settings which get
  delivered with xfce and the like.

The output (from memory) is visible when you kill/close
gnunet-gtk, look for something related to gnunet-fs ... GIO
.... GSettings .... and later: org.gtk.FileChooser (or something
like that), also in relation to gnunet-fs.

I want people to do the following:
- Install gnunet and gnunet-gtk (both 0.10.1), skip over
  gnunet-setup, and see in gnunet-gtk after running "gnunet-arm
  --start" if the tab for filesharing / publishing is just
  black. In either case of positive or negative confirmation I
  want to know about the used desktop/window manager and
  environment variables to nail down the problem.
- Do the exact same for gnunet-gtk-svn + gnunet-svn.

This bug is published before gnunet-svn, gnunet-gtk-svn and other
changes to gnu/packages/gnunet.scm are send in as patches. I am
currently not in reach of a permanent connection and will provide
rebase and create a patch as soon as I can. Time and too much
input in talks is another factor keeping me from currently
rebasing the patch against master.
Just know that the patch is functional and this bug is considered
something people using windowmanagers equal to ratposion should
help me in solving, as this is caused by an external factor I
have to pin and optimize the gnunet package on or provide a note
for certain environments. In itself, based on a work I
co-authored with Jookia, it is functional.

Sorry if this might read verbose or confusing but I write this
based on something I have written between yesterday, this morning
and in between rushing to the next talk :)

Thanks for your patience,
--
ng
personal contact: http://krosos.sdf.org

* bug#22985: using gnune-gtk with ratpoison (gnunet-fs in -gtk nonfunctional) -> needs participation and input
@ 2016-03-17 17:46 ` Nils Gillmann
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Nils Gillmann @ 2016-03-17 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 22985

Experienced same behavior when I added gnome to my profile and
launched it today, steps to replicate:

gnunet-arm -s &
gnunet-gtk

expected error:

(gnunet-fs-gtk:32585): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser' is not installed

in terminal, and gnunet-fs tab is black.

--
ng
personal contact: http://krosos.sdf.org
EDN: https://wiki.c3d2.de/EDN

* bug#22985: using gnune-gtk with ratpoison (gnunet-fs in -gtk nonfunctional) -> needs participation and input
@ 2016-03-20 14:05 ` Nils Gillmann
From: Nils Gillmann @ 2016-03-20 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 22985

Previously reported GNOME bug solved after reconfiguring the
system with (services (gnome-desktop-service)).

--

@ 2016-03-21  1:40   ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-03-21  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nils Gillmann; +Cc: 22985

On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 03:05:25PM +0100, Nils Gillmann wrote:
> Previously reported GNOME bug solved after reconfiguring the
> system with (services (gnome-desktop-service)).

Okay, so the problem is solved then?

If so, you can close the bug by sending mail to
22985-done@debbugs.gnu.org

@ 2016-03-21 12:36     ` Nils Gillmann
From: Nils Gillmann @ 2016-03-21 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 22985

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 03:05:25PM +0100, Nils Gillmann wrote:
>> Previously reported GNOME bug solved after reconfiguring the
>> system with (services (gnome-desktop-service)).
>
> Okay, so the problem is solved then?

No, please read the full initial bug.

It is not a GNOME bug, it is a bug where I need input from other
people about issues with the gnunet.scm I did send in and
eventually with the 0.10.1 gnunet as well.
And also somebody to apply the gnunet.scm patchset to master, but
I give it one more day until I try to draw attention to that
patch again.

I don't have the resources to figure out every possible
windows/desktop manager issues, which is what the initial bug
report said.

--

@ 2016-03-22 19:22 ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2016-03-22 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nils Gillmann; +Cc: 22985

On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 16:34:15 +0100
Nils Gillmann <niasterisk@grrlz.net> wrote:

> This describes a bug with our gnunet-gtk package I am tracking
> now in gnu/packages/gnunet.scm and will include it to refer to in
> the patch I will send in as soon as I have enough time on this
> conference to rebase my (big) patch of gnunet.scm
>
> Description/Problem:
>
> - Using ratpoison as WM, running gnunet-gtk (svn) gives GSettings
>   related errors when opening gnunet-fs (filesharing) tab.
>   The error gets more specific when installing gsettings into
>   your profile (see irc log, 10.03.2016, grep for "gnunet"
>   "gsettings"). I can't be more precise at the moment due to the
>   lack of time. I provided some details on IRC on thursday, if I
>   have the time this weekend I'll add the exact error messages
>   you'll experience, though they are obvious in the terminal
>   output.
>
> - Reconfiguring the system with xfce in the desktop profile seems
>   to provide more than ratpoison, the bug is gone. I have to
>   assume that xfce provides gsettings on its own, and that this
>   error is specific to minimal window managers without certain
>   X11/gtk profiles or otherwise configuration settings which get
>   delivered with xfce and the like.
>
> The output (from memory) is visible when you kill/close
> gnunet-gtk, look for something related to gnunet-fs ... GIO
> .... GSettings .... and later: org.gtk.FileChooser (or something
> like that), also in relation to gnunet-fs.
>
> I want people to do the following:
> - Install gnunet and gnunet-gtk (both 0.10.1), skip over
>   gnunet-setup, and see in gnunet-gtk after running "gnunet-arm
>   --start" if the tab for filesharing / publishing is just
>   black. In either case of positive or negative confirmation I
>   want to know about the used desktop/window manager and
>   environment variables to nail down the problem.
> - Do the exact same for gnunet-gtk-svn + gnunet-svn.

Using Enlightenment on Debian with gnunet-0.10.1:
efraim@debian-netbook:~$ gnunet-arm --start
efraim@debian-netbook:~$ Mar 22 20:18:40-899114 transport-15540 ERROR Assertion failed at nat.c:1048.
Mar 22 20:18:40-903259 transport-15540 ERROR Assertion failed at nat.c:1048.
`gnunet-helper-vpn' is not SUID, refusing to run.

efraim@debian-netbook:~$ gnunet-gtk &
[1] 15674
efraim@debian-netbook:~$ Mar 22 20:19:03-946659 gnunet-peerinfo-gtk-15682 WARNING `write' failed on file `/home/efraim/.config/gnunet//topology/friends.txt' at friends.c:64 with error: No such file or directory
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.
Mar 22 20:19:05-529428 gnunet-fs-gtk-15684 WARNING No default ego specified for `fs-sks` service, will not enable namespace search.
(gnunet-gtk:15674): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: instance with invalid (NULL) class pointer

(gnunet-gtk:15674): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handler_disconnect: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

File-sharing tab is not black (or blacked out)

And with gnunet-svn:
efraim@debian-netbook:~$ gnunet-arm --start
efraim@debian-netbook:~$ Mar 22 21:18:11-414243 peerinfo-10994 ERROR Assertion failed at gnunet-service-peerinfo.c:620.
Mar 22 21:18:11-439120 peerinfo-10994 WARNING File `/home/efraim/.local/share/gnunet//peerinfo/hosts/R8TTJ9GAL5VIFOFNM8KNT3D83BVQPBNRHJSSD0IME63V821906EG' in directory `/home/efraim/.local/share/gnunet//peerinfo/hosts/' does not match naming convention. Removed.
Mar 22 21:18:11-439433 peerinfo-10994 ERROR Assertion failed at gnunet-service-peerinfo.c:620.
Mar 22 21:18:11-439599 peerinfo-10994 WARNING File `/home/efraim/.local/share/gnunet//peerinfo/hosts/DPQIBOOJV8QBS3FGJ6B0K5NTSQ9SULV45H5KCR4HU7PQ64N8Q9F0' in directory `/home/efraim/.local/share/gnunet//peerinfo/hosts/' does not match naming convention. Removed.
Mar 22 21:18:11-445311 vpn-10990 ERROR `gnunet-helper-vpn' is not SUID, refusing to run.
Mar 22 21:18:11-554042 nat-10997 ERROR UPnP enabled in configuration, but UPnP client `upnpc` command not found, disabling UPnP
Mar 22 21:18:11-567307 nat-10997 ERROR UPnP enabled in configuration, but UPnP client `upnpc` command not found, disabling UPnP
Mar 22 21:18:12-142192 nat-10997 WARNING Failed to resolve STUN server (are we online?)
Mar 22 21:18:17-827712 set-10986 WARNING External protocol violation detected at gnunet-service-set_union.c:1082.
Mar 22 21:18:17-828107 set-union-10986 ERROR union operation failed
Mar 22 21:18:17-829664 revocation-10971 WARNING Error computing revocation set union with DSTJ
Mar 22 21:18:33-709532 resolver-api-10997 ERROR Resolver not configured correctly.
Mar 22 21:18:33-709712 transport-10997 ERROR Assertion failed at plugin_transport_tcp.c:2014.

efraim@debian-netbook:~$ gnunet-gtk &
[1] 11100
efraim@debian-netbook:~$ Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.

File-sharing tab is not black (or blacked out)

> This bug is published before gnunet-svn, gnunet-gtk-svn and other
> changes to gnu/packages/gnunet.scm are send in as patches. I am
> currently not in reach of a permanent connection and will provide
> rebase and create a patch as soon as I can. Time and too much
> input in talks is another factor keeping me from currently
> rebasing the patch against master.
> Just know that the patch is functional and this bug is considered
> something people using windowmanagers equal to ratposion should
> help me in solving, as this is caused by an external factor I
> have to pin and optimize the gnunet package on or provide a note
> for certain environments. In itself, based on a work I
> co-authored with Jookia, it is functional.
>

> Sorry if this might read verbose or confusing but I write this
> based on something I have written between yesterday, this morning
> and in between rushing to the next talk :)
>
> Thanks for your patience,

* bug#22985: solved
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-02-11 17:27 ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2017-02-11 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 22985-done

Solved as this seems to be an issue of window managers and not the
application itself.

--
ng0 -- https://www.inventati.org/patternsinthechaos/