all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Outdated dicod-service example in manual
@ 2023-04-10 13:53 Nathaniel Nicandro
From: Nathaniel Nicandro @ 2023-04-10 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

First off, I want to say thanks to all the Guix contributors.  I've
really enjoyed my time tinkering with my system!  This is my first post
to the mailing list after using Guix as my main operating system for the
past few years.

I've found that when I tried to use the example configuration for the
dicod-service in the manual
(https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Miscellaneous-Services.html#Dictionary-Service)
I wasn't able to get the wordnet dictionary working at all.

I was able to get it working for my use case with the following configuration:

    (dicod-configuration
       (handlers
        (list (dicod-handler
               (name "wordnet")
               (module "wordnet")
               (options (list #~(string-append "wnhome=" #$wordnet))))))
       (databases
        (list (dicod-database
               (name "wordnet")
               (handler "wordnet")
               (complex? #t)
               (options (list "merge-defs")))
              %dicod-database:gcide)))

Should I go ahead and make a documentation change patch or would there
be another example that would be preferred?

--
Nathaniel

* Re: Outdated dicod-service example in manual
@ 2023-05-03 20:57 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2023-05-03 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathaniel Nicandro; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Nathaniel,

Apologies for the delay!

Nathaniel Nicandro <nathanielnicandro@gmail.com> skribis:

> First off, I want to say thanks to all the Guix contributors.  I've
> really enjoyed my time tinkering with my system!  This is my first post
> to the mailing list after using Guix as my main operating system for the
> past few years.

Nice, welcome!  :-)

> I've found that when I tried to use the example configuration for the
> dicod-service in the manual
> (https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Miscellaneous-Services.html#Dictionary-Service)
> I wasn't able to get the wordnet dictionary working at all.

Oh.  (BTW, note that this is the manual for the latest release; when in
doubt you can also add “/devel” to the URL to see the manual of the
current development head:
<https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Miscellaneous-Services.html#Dictionary-Service>.)

> I was able to get it working for my use case with the following configuration:
>
>     (dicod-configuration
>        (handlers
>         (list (dicod-handler
>                (name "wordnet")
>                (module "wordnet")
>                (options (list #~(string-append "wnhome=" #$wordnet))))))
>        (databases
>         (list (dicod-database
>                (name "wordnet")
>                (handler "wordnet")
>                (complex? #t)
>                (options (list "merge-defs")))
>               %dicod-database:gcide)))
>
> Should I go ahead and make a documentation change patch or would there
> be another example that would be preferred?

Fixing the current documentation would be most welcome!  And if you have
other examples in mind, we can add them too.

We could also add the ‘dicod-database’ definition for WordNet right into
(gnu services dict), so it’s readily usable, like that of GCIDE.

Thanks!

Ludo’.

* Re: Outdated dicod-service example in manual
@ 2023-05-04 13:30   ` Nathaniel Nicandro
From: Nathaniel Nicandro @ 2023-05-04 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Nathaniel,
>
> Apologies for the delay!
>
> Nathaniel Nicandro <nathanielnicandro@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> First off, I want to say thanks to all the Guix contributors.  I've
>> really enjoyed my time tinkering with my system!  This is my first
>> post
>> to the mailing list after using Guix as my main operating system for
>> the
>> past few years.
>
> Nice, welcome!  :-)
>
>> I've found that when I tried to use the example configuration for
>> the
>> dicod-service in the manual
>> (https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Miscellaneous-Services.html#Dictionary-Service)
>> I wasn't able to get the wordnet dictionary working at all.
>
> Oh.  (BTW, note that this is the manual for the latest release; when
> in
> doubt you can also add “/devel” to the URL to see the manual of the
> current development head:
> <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Miscellaneous-Services.html#Dictionary-Service>.)

Thanks for the tip.

>> I was able to get it working for my use case with the following configuration:
>>
>>     (dicod-configuration
>>        (handlers
>>         (list (dicod-handler
>>                (name "wordnet")
>>                (module "wordnet")
>>                (options (list #~(string-append "wnhome=" #$wordnet))))))
>>        (databases
>>         (list (dicod-database
>>                (name "wordnet")
>>                (handler "wordnet")
>>                (complex? #t)
>>                (options (list "merge-defs")))
>>               %dicod-database:gcide)))
>>
>> Should I go ahead and make a documentation change patch or would there
>> be another example that would be preferred?
>
> Fixing the current documentation would be most welcome!  And if you
> have
> other examples in mind, we can add them too.

I'll sumbit a patch to fix the example.  I'll look out for other
examples while I browse the documentation and update my system.  All
that I've looked at so far has worked out for me, except for this.

> We could also add the ‘dicod-database’ definition for WordNet right
> into
> (gnu services dict), so it’s readily usable, like that of GCIDE.

Doing this would mean that we also have to do something about the
`dicod-handler` definition since the database definition depends on it.
Maybe allow a `dicod-handler` in the `handler` field of a `dicod-database` so that the WordNet database definition can be self-contained without having to provide a handler definition in the `handlers` field of a `dicod-configuration`?  This way we can do as you say.

--
Nathaniel