all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* GNU Hurd at Guix days
@ 2024-02-06  7:48 pjotr.public12
From: pjotr.public12 @ 2024-02-06  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

We had a very interesting discussion about the Hurd. I ran the Hurd
before, but now I am going down the rabbit hole of reading device
drivers and such. It is very interesting.

I envisage a 'Cloud Hurd' that have minimal hardware demands and a
Guix system definition.  Running a Guile webserver, for example, could
be really, really tiny. ARM support and RISC-V support may come and
that will make it even more exciting. Try and trim a Linux kernel to
size and you know what I mean. Goblin nano services, anyone? Or an
out-of-the-box mail service?

It is not about performance, obviously, but about minimalism.

I hit this paper online btw - a recent generic writeup:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/373235211_GNU_Hurd_Design_Implementation_and_Future_Prospects_of_the_Microkernel-Based_Operating_System

Pj.