all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* help setting up guix from source
@ 2016-03-07  7:43 Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué @ 2016-03-07  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I've been following Guix from it's initial release and finally found
some time to play with it (actually, second time). I believe both Guix
and GuixSD are fantastic and exciting projects. Kudos to Ludovic and
the rest of the team!

I was trying to make Guix run from the source code, but have found some issues.

First one was this step:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Locales-1

When I run "guix package -i glibc-locales" after setting up the daemon I get:

substitute: updating list of substitutes from 'http://hydra.gnu.org'... 100.0%

over and over. If I make it verbose, I can see things like:

substitute: updating list of substitutes from 'http://hydra.gnu.org'... 100.0%
|   |   substitution of
`/gnu/store/2w1n3ary5sy2z4m094lmw8gjli962l87-patch-2.7.5.tar.xz':
trying next substituter
|   |   path `/gnu/store/2w1n3ary5sy2z4m094lmw8gjli962l87-patch-2.7.5.tar.xz'
is required, but there is no substituter that can build it
|   |   substitution of
`/gnu/store/2w1n3ary5sy2z4m094lmw8gjli962l87-patch-2.7.5.tar.xz': done
|   |   building of
`/gnu/store/viqpy1k0sc8az90z2df1rln9598z613x-patch-2.7.5.tar.xz.drv':
waitee `substitution of
`/gnu/store/2w1n3ary5sy2z4m094lmw8gjli962l87-patch-2.7.5.tar.xz''
done; 0 left

It ends up with a big error (log file attached). I have also tried to
install other packages without luck.

Another thing that I tried to do was "guix package -l", but it gives me:

guix package: error: profile
'/usr/var/guix/profiles/per-user/aleix/guix-profile' does not exist

rekado on the IRC says this will be created as soon as I install a
package. May be it should be more explicit in the documentation:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Package-Management

Or may be it could be created when trying to list the generations even
if no package has been installed?

My apologies if I missed something obvious. I believe I read
everything in the manual until getting stuck in these steps.

Thanks!

Aleix

[-- Attachment #2: guix-glibc-locales-install-error.log.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 66027 bytes --]

* Re: help setting up guix from source
@ 2016-03-08  8:07 ` Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué @ 2016-03-08  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On Sun, Mar 6, 2016 at 11:43 PM, Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
<aconchillo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been following Guix from it's initial release and finally found
> some time to play with it (actually, second time). I believe both Guix
> and GuixSD are fantastic and exciting projects. Kudos to Ludovic and
> the rest of the team!
>
> I was trying to make Guix run from the source code, but have found some issues.
>
> First one was this step:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Locales-1
>
> When I run "guix package -i glibc-locales" after setting up the daemon I get:
>
> substitute: updating list of substitutes from 'http://hydra.gnu.org'... 100.0%
>
> over and over. If I make it verbose, I can see things like:

In case anyone wonders, all my problems went away after authorizing
hydra's public key and binary substitute were available. See:

   https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Substitutes

Aleix

* Re: help setting up guix from source
@ 2016-03-08  9:01 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-03-08  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué; +Cc: help-guix

Aleix Conchillo Flaqué <aconchillo@gmail.com> skribis:

> When I run "guix package -i glibc-locales" after setting up the daemon I get:
>
> substitute: updating list of substitutes from 'http://hydra.gnu.org'... 100.0%
>
> over and over.

For the record, the fact that this line is displayed several times in a
row is a side effect of the recent introduction of grafts¹.

I’m thinking of improving parallelism and/or increasing caching to
mitigate that.

HTH,
Ludo’.

¹ https://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=8470

* Re: help setting up guix from source
@ 2016-03-08 22:39   ` Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué @ 2016-03-08 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 1:01 AM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> Aleix Conchillo Flaqué <aconchillo@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> When I run "guix package -i glibc-locales" after setting up the daemon I get:
>>
>> substitute: updating list of substitutes from 'http://hydra.gnu.org'... 100.0%
>>
>> over and over.
>
> For the record, the fact that this line is displayed several times in a
> row is a side effect of the recent introduction of grafts¹.
>
> I’m thinking of improving parallelism and/or increasing caching to
> mitigate that.

About parallelism, I believe (may be I'm wrong) downloads occur
sequentially right now, I think running them in parallel would speed
up things as well.

Aleix

* Re: help setting up guix from source
@ 2016-03-09 15:43     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-03-09 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué; +Cc: help-guix

Aleix Conchillo Flaqué <aconchillo@gmail.com> skribis:

> On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 1:01 AM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Aleix Conchillo Flaqué <aconchillo@gmail.com> skribis:
>>
>>> When I run "guix package -i glibc-locales" after setting up the daemon I get:
>>>
>>> substitute: updating list of substitutes from 'http://hydra.gnu.org'... 100.0%
>>>
>>> over and over.
>>
>> For the record, the fact that this line is displayed several times in a
>> row is a side effect of the recent introduction of grafts¹.
>>
>> I’m thinking of improving parallelism and/or increasing caching to
>> mitigate that.
>>

> About parallelism, I believe (may be I'm wrong) downloads occur
> sequentially right now, I think running them in parallel would speed
> up things as well.

It’s not entirely clear to me, but you could try by increasing the
number of jobs, as in:

  guix build libreoffice --max-jobs=4

The default is one job at a time (but each job can use all the cores.)

Thanks,
Ludo’.