all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* FreeTube (Re-Post)
@ 2019-06-15 15:28 ripalpandya
From: ripalpandya @ 2019-06-15 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

I understand that there is youtube-dl and youtube-viewer. But neither of them provide a clean UX and features similar to FreeTube. I neither have skills nor time to try the packaging. I desperately need this FreeTube app. Can someone package this app for me please?

FreeTube Site: https://freetubeapp.io

FreeTube Source: https://github.com/FreeTubeApp/FreeTube

yours truly,
Ripal.

* Re: FreeTube (Re-Post)
@ 2019-06-15 19:51 Jesse Gibbons
From: Jesse Gibbons @ 2019-06-15 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ripalpandya; +Cc: help-guix

> Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2019 17:28:12 +0200 (CEST)
> From: <ripalpandya@tutanota.com>
> To: <help-guix@gnu.org>
> Subject: FreeTube (Re-Post)
>
> Hi,
>
> I understand that there is youtube-dl and youtube-viewer. But neither
> of them provide a clean UX and features similar to FreeTube. I neither
> have skills nor time to try the packaging. I desperately need this
> FreeTube app. Can someone package this app for me please?
>
> FreeTube Site: https://freetubeapp.io
>
> FreeTube Source: https://github.com/FreeTubeApp/FreeTube
>
> yours truly,
> Ripal.
It looks like freetube uses npm. I don't know if there is an
npm-build-system and I cannot find a nodejs or npm package. In order to
make FreeTube it looks like we will need to break a lot of ground.

* Re: FreeTube (Re-Post)
@ 2019-06-15 20:00 ` ripalpandya
From: ripalpandya @ 2019-06-15 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesse Gibbons; +Cc: Help Guix

> It looks like freetube uses npm. I don't know if there is an
> npm-build-system and I cannot find a nodejs or npm package. In order to
> make FreeTube it looks like we will need to break a lot of ground.

Ah! Would it be worth it? Not trying to persuade or anything, but that app seems to be useful to other users as well. There is no other replacement for that app.

* Re: FreeTube (Re-Post)
@ 2019-06-15 20:14   ` Jesse Gibbons
From: Jesse Gibbons @ 2019-06-15 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ripalpandya; +Cc: Help Guix

On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 22:00:36 +0200 (CEST)
<ripalpandya@tutanota.com> wrote:

> > It looks like freetube uses npm. I don't know if there is an
> > npm-build-system and I cannot find a nodejs or npm package. In
> > order to make FreeTube it looks like we will need to break a lot of
> > ground.
> Ah! Would it be worth it? Not trying to persuade or anything, but
> that app seems to be useful to other users as well. There is no other
> replacement for that app.

It will be totally worth the effort just so we can build packages with
npm including FreeTube. I do not think I am familiar enough with guix's
internal programming style and design to do it just now.

* Re: FreeTube (Re-Post)
@ 2019-06-15 22:38     ` ripalpandya
From: ripalpandya @ 2019-06-15 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesse Gibbons; +Cc: Help Guix

> It will be totally worth the effort just so we can build packages with
> npm including FreeTube. I do not think I am familiar enough with guix's
> internal programming style and design to do it just now.

Okay. Let's see if anyone else could do it. I also CCd this email to few people for help.

* Re: FreeTube (Re-Post)
@ 2019-06-16 22:27       ` ripalpandya
From: ripalpandya @ 2019-06-16 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesse Gibbons, Ludo, Rekado, Mail, Me, Samplet, Ericbavier, G; +Cc: Help Guix

@ 2019-06-17  1:49         ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-06-17  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ripalpandya; +Cc: Jesse Gibbons, Help Guix

Hi,

>>> It will be totally worth the effort just so we can build packages with
>>> npm including FreeTube. I do not think I am familiar enough with guix's
>>> internal programming style and design to do it just now.
>>>
>> Okay. Let's see if anyone else could do it. I also CCd this email to few people for help.

Please don’t ping people who have not agreed to work on this for you.
Please just keep this on help-guix@gnu.org and wait for replies there.

Generally speaking, it is very unlikely for anyone to volunteer to work
on a package that needs packages from npm because we have no good way to
package JavaScript software using npm.  You are welcome to search the
guix-devel mailing list archives for more information.

--
Ricardo