all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#53934: OpenJDK doesn't have a doclet
@ 2022-02-10 23:26 Igor Gajsin
From: Igor Gajsin @ 2022-02-10 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 53934

There is a problem with openjdk (all versions 10 to 17). When I run
cider (emacs mode for clojure) it complains about:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: jdk.javadoc.doclet.Doclet

when I try to set icedtea there is no such problem. If I understand well
doclet is a part of JDK so it shoulb be part of a modern openjdk
installation.

way to reproduce:

1. Install openjdk and emacs  via `guix package -i openjdk emacs`
2. In emacs apply code  `(use-package cider :ensure t)`
3. on a any clojure project run the command `cider-jack-in`
4. receive the erorr in the repl
5. Install icedtea `guix package -i icedtea`
6. repeat the command and see no errors

--
With best regards,
Igor Gajsin

* bug#53934: OpenJDK doesn't have a doclet
@ 2022-02-13 23:21 ` Michael Rohleder
From: Michael Rohleder @ 2022-02-13 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Gajsin; +Cc: 53934

Igor Gajsin <igor@gajsin.name> writes:
> There is a problem with openjdk (all versions 10 to 17). When I run
> cider (emacs mode for clojure) it complains about:
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: jdk.javadoc.doclet.Doclet
>
> when I try to set icedtea there is no such problem. If I understand well
> doclet is a part of JDK so it shoulb be part of a modern openjdk
> installation.

I haven't tried, but maybe adding a file "module-info.java" with the
content "requires jdk.javadoc" to your project might help. [1]

[1]
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/65683365/why-cant-i-import-the-jdk-javadoc-doclet-package

--
The difference between a career and a job is about 20 hours a week.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* bug#53934: OpenJDK doesn't have a doclet
@ 2022-02-14 21:26   ` Igor Gajsin
From: Igor Gajsin @ 2022-02-14 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Rohleder; +Cc: 53934

I narrowed down where the problem arise and found the exact bugreport:
https://github.com/clojure-emacs/orchard/issues/117#issuecomment-859987280

Unfortunately, I didn't get the solution 'one has to use ONLY the
package "openjdk:jdk"'. What does it mean?

Also, why openjdk removes javadoc, is it a bug or a correct behaviour?

@ 2022-02-14 21:35     ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2022-02-14 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Gajsin; +Cc: 53934

Openjdk has two outputs: out and jdk. The default output contains only
what's necessary to *run* a Java application, while the jdk output
contains that *in addition* to what's needed to build Java applications
(javac, ...). I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if javadoc or doclet
need to be in the default output or not. Aren't they used only when
developping or building Java code?

@ 2022-02-14 22:49       ` Igor Gajsin
From: Igor Gajsin @ 2022-02-14 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: 53934

> Aren't they used only when developping or building Java code?

I'm pretty new in java, so can't answer. My case, I need it for cider
(ide like slime, but for clojure), so that's a "developing" case. But
maybe there is a use-case for running too, I don't know.

@ 2022-02-15 22:45       ` Igor Gajsin
From: Igor Gajsin @ 2022-02-15 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: 53934

Thanks a lot, I've installed the jdk output and the issue has gone. The
ticket could be closed.