all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Packaging Jami (ex GNU Ring)
@ 2019-01-09  8:50 Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-01-09  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hey,

I'd like to package Jami.  Has anyone given it a shot yet?

* Re: Packaging Jami (ex GNU Ring)
@ 2019-01-09  8:58 ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-01-09  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Pierre,

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. jan. 9.,
Sze, 9:50):

> Hey,
>
> I'd like to package Jami.  Has anyone given it a shot yet?

This would be really nice.

I believe you can find some old bugs related to this, but it was
called Ring then.

I don't know if those are relevant any more.

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: Packaging Jami (ex GNU Ring)
@ 2019-01-09  9:03   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-01-09  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

Indeed, there is #30041.  Thanks for the pointer, Gábor!

* Re: Packaging Jami (ex GNU Ring)
@ 2019-01-09 15:03 ` Timothy Sample
From: Timothy Sample @ 2019-01-09 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Pierre,

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:

> Hey,
>
> I'd like to package Jami.  Has anyone given it a shot yet?

I did some work on this about eight months ago, but wasn’t able to
finish it.  AFAIK, my work is the most recent and complete attempt.
IIRC, I could install and run Ring, but it was not entirely usable.

I just committed all of my working directory files, and pushed
everything to <https://gitlab.com/samplet/guix.git> on the “wip-ring”
branch.  Unfortunately, I have to kind of throw it over the wall at you.
It was some time ago, and I can’t remember all of the details.
Apologies for the mess.  :)

There are two things that I do remember, though.  (1) Jami has a lot of
vendored packages and some of them have significant patches (I’m mostly
thinking of “pjproject”).  Some of these patches were in the process of
being upstreamed, so let’s hope that has gone well and you can clean up
some of the patches and hacks that were needed there.  (2) I had some
pause about what to do with copyright headers.  You are the fourth
person to work on this, and the other three of us did not consistently
add our names to the copyright headers of files we changed.  ;)  Not
sure what to do there.

Happy hacking!

-- Tim

* Re: Packaging Jami (ex GNU Ring)
@ 2019-01-09 16:26   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-01-09 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy Sample; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Tim!

Thanks for sharing!
Adonay Felipe Nogueira initial patch is now 2 years old, but it's already been
very helpful.

I've noticed the thing about the ring-specific patches.  I'm not sure but it
seems that beside pjproject, none of them are necessary since Arch Linux does
not apply any extra patch.

Regarding the copyright: who is the last person?

* Re: Packaging Jami (ex GNU Ring)
@ 2019-01-09 17:57     ` Timothy Sample
From: Timothy Sample @ 2019-01-09 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Pierre,

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:

> Hi Tim!
>
> Thanks for sharing!
> Adonay Felipe Nogueira initial patch is now 2 years old, but it's already been
> very helpful.
>
> I've noticed the thing about the ring-specific patches.  I'm not sure but it
> seems that beside pjproject, none of them are necessary since Arch Linux does
> not apply any extra patch.

That’s good news.

> Regarding the copyright: who is the last person?

The way I understand it is that Lukas Gradl sent the initial patch in
September 2016 [1].  In March 2017, Adonay Felipe Nogueira picked up the
work and moved it forward, notably contacting upstream and getting
things rolling with upstreaming their patches [2].  Then, in April 2018,
I picked up the patches and cleaned them up some more [3].  Now you are
working on it, which makes you the fourth person.

-- Tim

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-09/msg01053.html
[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-03/msg00550.html
[3] I worked in secrecy until this point – shame on me!

* Re: Packaging Jami (ex GNU Ring)
@ 2019-01-09 18:10       ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-01-09 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy Sample; +Cc: Guix-devel

OK, thanks for the details.  Now back to work and fingers crossed! :)

* Re: Packaging Jami (ex GNU Ring)
@ 2019-01-09 18:14         ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-01-09 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy Sample; +Cc: Guix-devel

Jami is made of 3 packages and might drag in 2-3 packages that
so far are not used by any other package.

General question: where should those packages go?

- ring.scm
- jami.scm
- telephony.scm

?

* Re: Packaging Jami (ex GNU Ring)
@ 2019-01-09 19:18           ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2019-01-09 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 07:14:38PM +0100, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
> Jami is made of 3 packages and might drag in 2-3 packages that
> so far are not used by any other package.
>
> General question: where should those packages go?
>
> - ring.scm

If there is no longer a 'Ring' project, then let's rule this out.

> - jami.scm

If they are specific to Jami, put them here.

> - telephony.scm

If they are more generic libraries related to telephony, they can go
here.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Packaging Jami (ex GNU Ring)
@ 2019-01-09 20:05             ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-01-09 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: Guix-devel

> If there is no longer a 'Ring' project, then let's rule this out.

The current state of affair is not so black & white: It's "Jami" on the web
page, but everything else is stilled called "Ring": the library, the daemon, and
I'm unsure about the client itself.

It might change in the future.

* Re: Packaging Jami (ex GNU Ring)
@ 2019-01-10  4:17           ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2019-01-10  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt, Timothy Sample; +Cc: Guix-devel

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> skrev: (9 januari 2019 19:14:38 CET)
>Jami is made of 3 packages and might drag in 2-3 packages that
>so far are not used by any other package.
>
>General question: where should those packages go?
>
>- ring.scm
>- jami.scm
>- telephony.scm
>
>?

Hi Pierre.
I think we should put this into a new file voip.scm.

I started packaging qual (qual.net) yesterday as a challenge and it bundles pjsip aka pjproject.

Would you like my definition of it so far?
--
Sent from my p≡p for Android.

[-- Attachment #2: pEpkey.asc --]

* Re: Packaging Jami (ex GNU Ring)
@ 2019-01-10  5:41             ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2019-01-10  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt, Timothy Sample; +Cc: Guix-devel

On 2019-01-10 05:17, swedebugia wrote:
> Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> skrev: (9 januari 2019 19:14:38 CET)
>
>     Jami is made of 3 packages and might drag in 2-3 packages that
>     so far are not used by any other package.
>
>     General question: where should those packages go?
>
>     - ring.scm
>     - jami.scm
>     - telephony.scm
>
>     ?
>

> Hi Pierre.
> I think we should put this into a new file voip.scm.
>
> I started packaging qual (qual.net) yesterday as a challenge and it
> bundles pjsip aka pjproject.
>
> Would you like my definition of it so far?
Here it comes:
(define-public pjproject
   (package
     (name "pjproject")
     (version "2.8")
     (source
      (origin
        (method url-fetch)
        (uri (string-append "http://www.pjsip.org/release/"
                            version "/" name "-"  version ".tar.gz"))
        (file-name (string-append name "-" version))
        (sha256
         (base32
          "0ybg0113rp3fk49rm2v0pcgqb28h3dv1pdy9594w2ggiz7bhngah"))))
     (build-system gnu-build-system)
     (native-inputs
      ;; TODO pulls in qtbase. Avoid that if possible as this is a library.
       ;; * opencore-amr (for the AMR-NB decoder and encoder and the
       ;;   AMR-WB decoder) <http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencore-amr/>
       ;;("opencore-amr" ,opencore-amr)
        ;; * libvo-amrwbenc
      `(("python" ,python)
        ("sdl2" ,sdl2)
        ("gnutls" ,gnutls)
        ("openssl" ,openssl)
        ("libvpx" ,libvpx)
        ("speex" ,speex)
        ("opus" ,opus)
        ("ffmpeg" ,ffmpeg)
        ("alsa-lib" ,alsa-lib)
        ("v4l-utils" ,v4l-utils)
        ("pkg-config" ,pkg-config)
        ("util-linux" ,util-linux))) ;uuid
      ;; Configure checks for SILK decoder. It is old and superseeded by
OPUS so we ignore it.
     (arguments
      '(#:configure-flags '("") ; None needed, it finds everything
automatically :D
        #:tests? #f)) ; No tests.
     (home-page "http://www.pjsip.org")
     (synopsis "")
     (description "")
     (license license:gpl2+)))

--
Cheers Swedebugia

* Re: Packaging Jami (ex GNU Ring)
@ 2019-01-10  9:08               ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-01-10  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: Guix-devel

> I think we should put this into a new file voip.scm.

Gasp!  A fourth option! :p

Thanks for the pjsip defition.  It seems however that GNU Ring needs a patched
version of this.  Still working on it.

* Re: Packaging Jami (ex GNU Ring)
@ 2019-01-10  9:10               ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-01-10  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: Guix-devel

> I started packaging qual (qual.net)

Did you mean "qaul.net"?

* Re: Packaging Jami (ex GNU Ring)
@ 2019-01-10 12:18               ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2019-01-10 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Pierre,

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:

>> If there is no longer a 'Ring' project, then let's rule this out.
>
> The current state of affair is not so black & white: It's "Jami" on the web
> page, but everything else is stilled called "Ring": the library, the
> daemon, and
> I'm unsure about the client itself.
>
> It might change in the future.

Long term, Ring as a name would disappear completely to be replaced by
Jami.  The Jami developers have so far focused on changing the bits that
were the most visible for the users, but they won't stop there.

I'd be happy to help you in packaging Jami; it's been lurking on my TODO
for far to long :-).  I could start by packaging OpenDHT, which should
be relatively straightforward (and a dependency of Jami).  What do you
think?

Maxim

* Re: Packaging Jami (ex GNU Ring)
@ 2019-01-10 12:55                 ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-01-10 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Maxim,

Thanks for the offer, help is always welcome!

That said, opendht is already part of Guix ;)
It was out of date though, but updating it was simple enough, mostly thanks to
Tim's patch.

Now I'm onto pjproject.  I'll publish my work later today and if I get stuck
then everyone is welcome to look into it :D

> Long term, Ring as a name would disappear completely to be replaced by
> Jami.  The Jami developers have so far focused on changing the bits that
> were the most visible for the users, but they won't stop there.

True.  So I won't use neither ring.scm nor jami.scm.  voip.scm sounds like a
duplicate of telephony.scm, so I'll put everything into the latter to avoid
creating new files which could create further confusion.

* Re: Packaging Jami (ex GNU Ring)
@ 2019-01-10 13:13                 ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2019-01-10 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: Guix-devel

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> skrev: (10 januari 2019 10:10:38 CET)

>> I started packaging qual (qual.net)
>
>Did you mean "qaul.net"?

Yes 😅
It seems promising, but I never tried it  IRL.
I put it in messaging.scm. Is that suitable?
--
Sent from my p≡p for Android.

[-- Attachment #2: pEpkey.asc --]

* Re: Packaging Jami (ex GNU Ring)
@ 2019-01-10 13:19                   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-01-10 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: Guix-devel

swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net> writes:
> I put it in messaging.scm. Is that suitable?

Maybe not.  From qaul.net:

> qaul.net implements a redundant, open communication principle, in which
> wireless-enabled computers and mobile devices can directly form a spontaneous
> network. Text messaging, file sharing and voice calls are possible independent
> of internet and cellular networks.

From https://github.com/qaul/qaul.net:
(WiFi) Mesh network communication app

Maybe it would fit better in networking.scm?

* Re: Packaging Jami (ex GNU Ring)
@ 2019-01-10 20:13                     ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-01-10 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: Guix-devel

> Now I'm onto pjproject.  I'll publish my work later today and if I get stuck
> then everyone is welcome to look into it :D

OK, I'm making progress.  I've pushed some updates on master.

So basically all we need at this stage, I think, is a
an up-to-date, patched definition of pjproject.

The patches are available there:
https://git.ring.cx/savoirfairelinux/ring-daemon/tree/master/contrib/src/pjproject

Lukas, Adonay and Tim have worked on it already, but it needs to be fixed and updated.

Then the following libring definition should do:

(define-public libring
  (let ((pj-version "2.7.2"))
    (package
      (name "libring")
      (version "20190108.1.8659b2c")
      (source
       (origin
         (method url-fetch)
         (uri (string-append "http://dl.ring.cx/ring-release/tarballs/ring_"
                             version
                             ".tar.gz"))
         (modules '((guix build utils)))
         (snippet
          '(begin
             (delete-file-recursively "daemon/contrib")))
         (sha256
          (base32
           "1kvkxxwfl5wh9jrd0v8nbgdby8afg4w6allp1aww2a6xl4q7lwxf"))))
      (build-system gnu-build-system)
      (inputs
       ;; From https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/ring-daemon,
       ;; 'libnatpmp', 'expat' might be missing.
       `(("alsa-lib" ,alsa-lib)
         ("boost" ,boost)
         ("dbus-c++" ,dbus-c++)
         ("eudev" ,eudev)
         ("ffmpeg" ,ffmpeg)
         ("flac" ,flac)
         ("gmp" ,gmp)
         ("gsm" ,gsm)
         ("jack" ,jack-1)
         ("jsoncpp" ,jsoncpp)
         ("libogg" ,libogg)
         ("libva" ,libva)
         ("opendht" ,opendht)
         ("opus" ,opus)
         ("pcre" ,pcre)
         ("pulseaudio" ,pulseaudio)
         ("libsamplerate" ,libsamplerate)
         ("libsndfile" ,libsndfile)
         ("speex" ,speex)
         ("speexdsp" ,speexdsp)
         ("libupnp" ,libupnp)
         ("libvorbis" ,libvorbis)
         ("libx264" ,libx264)
         ("libvdpau" ,libvdpau)
         ("yaml-cpp" ,yaml-cpp)
         ("zlib" ,zlib)
         ;; TODO: These were added by adfeno here for now, please fix this if
         ;; this isn't the right place for them,
         ;; ("crypto++" ,crypto++)
         ;; ("gnutls" ,gnutls)
         ("openssl" ,openssl)
         ("libsecp256k1" ,libsecp256k1)
         ("python" ,python)
         ("python-wrapper" ,python-wrapper)
         ("restbed" ,restbed)
         ("libx11" ,libx11)
         ;; TODO: Upstream seems to rely on a custom pjproject (a.k.a. pjsip) version.
         ;; See https://git.ring.cx/savoirfairelinux/ring-daemon/issues/24.
         ("pjproject" ,pjproject-jami)))
      (native-inputs
       `(("autoconf" ,autoconf)
         ("automake" ,automake)
         ("libtool" ,libtool)
         ("pkg-config" ,pkg-config)
         ("which" ,which)
         ("cppunit" ,cppunit)
         ("perl" ,perl)))               ; Needed for documentation.
      (arguments
       `(#:tests? #f       ; The tests fail to compile due to missing headers.
         #:phases
         (modify-phases %standard-phases
           (add-after 'unpack 'change-directory
             (lambda* (#:key inputs #:allow-other-keys)
               (chdir "daemon")
               #t))
           (add-before 'build 'add-lib-dir
             (lambda _
               (mkdir "src/lib")
               #t)))))
      (synopsis "Distributed multimedia communications platform")
      (description "Ring is a secure and distributed voice, video and chat
communication platform that requires no centralized server and leaves the
power of privacy in the hands of the user.  It supports the SIP and IAX
protocols, as well as decentralized calling using P2P-DHT.

This package provides a library and daemon implementing the Ring core
functionality.")
      (home-page "https://jami.net/")
      (license license:gpl3+))))

* Re: Packaging Jami (ex GNU Ring)
@ 2019-01-11 15:02                     ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2019-01-11 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: Guix-devel

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> skrev: (10 januari 2019 14:19:34 CET)

From https://github.com/qaul/qaul.net:
>(WiFi) Mesh network communication app
>
>Maybe it would fit better in networking.scm?

Thanks, I had put it there first 😝
--
Sent from my p≡p for Android.

[-- Attachment #2: pEpkey.asc --]

* Re: Packaging Jami (ex GNU Ring)
@ 2019-01-11 17:43                       ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-01-11 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: Guix-devel

And libring (the daemon) builds!  Huraaay!!!

Thanks a lot to to Lukas, Adonay and Tim for their previous work which has saved
me a couple of days of research :)

Now to the client!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Packaging Jami (ex GNU Ring)
@ 2019-01-11 18:32                         ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-01-11 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: Guix-devel

And now both libringclient and ring-client-gnome build!

Sadly gnome-ring fails to start:

 > /gnu/store/6q1ysbyki4v1zidbcndvyrchm3jncs58-ring-client-gnome-20190108.1.8659b2c/bin/gnome-ring --debug
 GLib-GIO-Message: 19:30:42.058: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.
 ** (gnome-ring:25566): DEBUG: 19:30:42.059: debug enabled
 ** Message: 19:30:42.066: Jami GNOME client version: 32e606106920a21da416ef365fb654b5df721098
 ** Message: 19:30:42.066: git ref: unknown
 ** (gnome-ring:25566): DEBUG: 19:30:42.066: enabling autostart
 ** (gnome-ring:25566): DEBUG: 19:30:42.066: checking /usr/share/gnome-ring/gnome-ring.desktop
 ** (gnome-ring:25566): DEBUG: 19:30:42.066: checking /usr/local/share/gnome-ring/gnome-ring.desktop
 ** (gnome-ring:25566): DEBUG: 19:30:42.066: checking /gnu/store/6q1ysbyki4v1zidbcndvyrchm3jncs58-ring-client-gnome-20190108.1.8659b2c/share/gnome-ring/gnome-ring.desktop
 ** (gnome-ring:25566): DEBUG: 19:30:42.066: '/home/ambrevar/.config/autostart/gnome-ring.desktop' is already a symlink to '/gnu/store/6q1ysbyki4v1zidbcndvyrchm3jncs58-ring-client-gnome-20190108.1.8659b2c/share/gnome-ring/gnome-ring.desktop'
 (gnome-ring:25566): Gtk-DEBUG: 19:30:42.557: Connecting to session manager
 (gnome-ring:25566): Gtk-DEBUG: 19:30:42.557: Failed to get the GNOME session proxy: The name org.gnome.SessionManager is not owned
 (gnome-ring:25566): Gtk-DEBUG: 19:30:42.557: Failed to get the Xfce session proxy: The name org.xfce.SessionManager is not owned
 (gnome-ring:25566): Gtk-DEBUG: 19:30:42.558: Failed to get an inhibit portal proxy: The name org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop is not owned
 /gnu/store/6q1ysbyki4v1zidbcndvyrchm3jncs58-ring-client-gnome-20190108.1.8659b2c/bin/gnome-ring: symbol lookup error: /gnu/store/zng0ix6b6icm8f8r6cqr09ykiz6rgrpg-qtbase-5.11.2/lib/qt5/plugins/sqldrivers/libqsqlite.so: undefined symbol: sqlite3_column_table_name16

Some link / version error with qtbase?  Not sure why it's happening at runtime.
Anyone?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/