all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Getting to 1.0!
@ 2019-01-13 22:12 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-01-13 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix!

FOSDEM is only a couple of weeks away, and as we know, FOSDEM is the
proclaimed deadline for 1.0.  We’ve come a long way but there are still
quite a few things to address before we can reasonably release 1.0:

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/doc/1.0.org

GDM support and the installer are in good shape, more hands and more
testing would be welcome!

See also some of the bugs marked as “important” or “serious”:

  https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=guix

I suggest that this week be a Bug Squashing Week!  A bug a day keeps
vaporware away.

Thank you for your attention.  :-)

Ludo’.

* Re: Getting to 1.0!
@ 2019-01-14 13:42 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-01-14 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

> FOSDEM is only a couple of weeks away, and as we know, FOSDEM is the
> proclaimed deadline for 1.0.  We’ve come a long way but there are still
> quite a few things to address before we can reasonably release 1.0:
>
>   https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/doc/1.0.org

I have picked up work on a texlive profile hook and have something
that’s already working.  I’d like to make a few more changes before
asking for a review, though, as the current version does not work with
“texlive-tiny”, making it a little too difficult to use as *all*
packages (including the LaTeX base packages) need to be specified
manually.

I’m confident that we’ll have something ready in time for 1.0.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Getting to 1.0!
@ 2019-01-14 14:39   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-01-14 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

> I have picked up work on a texlive profile hook and have something
> that’s already working.  I’d like to make a few more changes before
> asking for a review, though, as the current version does not work with
> “texlive-tiny”, making it a little too difficult to use as *all*
> packages (including the LaTeX base packages) need to be specified
> manually.

That's great news, thanks for working on it, Ricardo!
I'd be happy to test it!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Getting to 1.0!
@ 2019-01-15 22:34   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-01-15 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

>> FOSDEM is only a couple of weeks away, and as we know, FOSDEM is the
>> proclaimed deadline for 1.0.  We’ve come a long way but there are still
>> quite a few things to address before we can reasonably release 1.0:
>>
>>   https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/doc/1.0.org
>
> I have picked up work on a texlive profile hook and have something
> that’s already working.  I’d like to make a few more changes before
> asking for a review, though, as the current version does not work with
> “texlive-tiny”, making it a little too difficult to use as *all*
> packages (including the LaTeX base packages) need to be specified
> manually.
>
> I’m confident that we’ll have something ready in time for 1.0.

… and you completed it a day later, woohoo!  \o/

I wonder if we should add section in the manual about ‘texlive’
packages?  The main difficulty is finding which package provides what
one is looking for, so perhaps a little guidance would be welcome, at
least for the most common packages.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.

* Re: Getting to 1.0!