all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* herd stop hangs
@ 2023-04-12 16:40 Vladilen Kozin
From: Vladilen Kozin @ 2023-04-12 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello.

I wrote a shepherd service that runs a java application in a semi standard
fashion

(start
  #~(make-forkexec-constructor ...
    #:user ..
    #:group ..
    #:environment-variables ...
(stop
  #~(make-kill-destructor)

$ sudo herd start my-service
starts without a hitch, but

$ sudo stop my-service
simply hangs for the default 5sec until Shepherd SIGKILLs it (as per
/var/log/messages) and even after that console where I run the herd stop
command doesn't get released until I manually CTRL-C it.

Been driving me nuts, cause Java handles SIGTERM but just in case I even
added shutdownHook to my app that should explicitly execute on SIGTERM and
other such signals. Testing it on OSX e.g. works just fine. But stop
wouldn't work on guix. I then decided to try everything manually:

$ start my java app from the console

In another console
$ sudo pkill -TERM pid

and nada ... it's like signal isn't even delivered.
$ sudo pkill -KILL pid

Eh ... still nothing
$ sudo kill -s SIGTERM pid
gets delivered

Ha? kill vs pkill ... ha? Could this give a clue as to why sudo herd stop
won't work?
What is going on here? Any ideas? I'm completely lost at this point.
--
Best regards
Vlad Kozin