all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Running Tor Browser with guix shell
@ 2023-04-29 16:05 Altadil
From: Altadil @ 2023-04-29 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel@gnu.org

Hi,

thanks to the blog post on FHS emulation, I’ve been able to run Tor Browser in Guix, so I figured I would help back a little, by sharing this small improvement.
There are two new things in this guix shell command :
- replace gcc:lib (which does not exist anymore) with libgccjit
- add audio.

guix shell -CFN --preserve='^DISPLAY$' --preserve='^XAUTHORITY$' --expose=$XAUTHORITY  \
--preserve='XDG_RUNTIME_DIR' --expose=/run/user/"$(id -u)"/pulse \
alsa-lib bash coreutils dbus-glib file grep gtk+ libcxx libgccjit pciutils pulseaudio sed \
-- ./tor-browser/Browser/start-tor-browser -v

Hopefully, this can spare someone all the trial and error. :)
Since this use case was first discussed on this list, I am writing here, but maybe there is a better place where to put this kind of information ?
Anyway, thank you all for Guix !

* Re: Running Tor Browser with guix shell
@ 2023-05-01 18:10 ` Brian Cully via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Brian Cully via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2023-05-01 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Altadil; +Cc: guix-devel

Altadil <Altadil@protonmail.com> writes:

> thanks to the blog post on FHS emulation, I’ve been able to run
> Tor
> Browser in Guix, so I figured I would help back a little, by
> sharing
> this small improvement.
> There are two new things in this guix shell command :
> - replace gcc:lib (which does not exist anymore) with libgccjit
> - add audio.
>
> guix shell -CFN --preserve='^DISPLAY$' --preserve='^XAUTHORITY$'
> --expose=$XAUTHORITY  \
> --preserve='XDG_RUNTIME_DIR' --expose=/run/user/"$(id -u)"/pulse
> \
> alsa-lib bash coreutils dbus-glib file grep gtk+ libcxx
> libgccjit pciutils pulseaudio sed \
> -- ./tor-browser/Browser/start-tor-browser -v
>
> Hopefully, this can spare someone all the trial and error. :)
> Since this use case was first discussed on this list, I am
> writing
> here, but maybe there is a better place where to put this kind
> of
> information ?
> Anyway, thank you all for Guix !

It might be nice to have a section in the cookbook for things like
this? Maybe something like “Containerizing services”, with an
examples section for common stuff, and an explanation of why the
flags are used and why the packages are required?

-bjc