all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#65614: cgroups increase to 65555 preventing docker to start
@ 2023-08-30  8:31 Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2023-08-30  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 65614

when I try to start a docker container, I get the erro

docker: Error response from daemon: failed to create shim task: OCI
runtime create failed: runc create failed: unable to start container
process: unable to apply cgroup configuration: mkdir
/sys/fs/cgroup/docker/dac0a619a2d6f980095c74a6a2b82a31bbfef721d5bc80fe9a9fb94fe48cfa37:
no space left on device: unknown.

Checking the number of cgroups shows that it’s at the limit (if I read
it right, no guarantees for that, cgroups isn’t my strong side), but
this is after only a few days of uptime:

$ find /sys/fs/cgroup/ -type d | wc -l
65534

$ cat /proc/cgroups
#subsys_name    hierarchy       num_cgroups     enabled
cpuset  0       65536   1
cpu     0       65536   1
cpuacct 0       65536   1
blkio   0       65536   1
memory  0       65536   1
devices 0       65536   1
freezer 0       65536   1
net_cls 0       65536   1
perf_event      0       65536   1
net_prio        0       65536   1
hugetlb 0       65536   1
pids    0       65536   1
misc    0       65536   1

Is Guix using cgroups for building?
Is something broken in Guix or do I have to hunt elsewhere for fixes?

Other people seem to have similar problems, but only after massive
docker usage:
https://github.com/AlexiaChen/rocker/issues/3#issuecomment-1128946114

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein,

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* bug#65614: cgroups increase to 65555 preventing docker to start
@ 2023-09-02 20:25 ` Sergiu Ivanov
From: Sergiu Ivanov @ 2023-09-02 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 65614

Hello,

I have a similar issue, related to cgroups as well: after a recent
update, I cannot start my LXC containers anymore.

This is how I generally start one of my LXC containers, called arch:

# lxc-start -n arch

I add the -F switch to get the following more detailed error log:

lxc-start: arch: cgroups/cgfsng.c: cg_legacy_set_data: 2678 No such file or directory - Failed to setup limits for the "devices" controller. The controller seems to be unused by "cgfsng" cgroup driver or not enabled on the cgroup hierarchy
lxc-start: arch: cgroups/cgfsng.c: cgfsng_setup_limits_legacy: 2745 No such file or directory - Failed to set "devices.deny" to "a"
lxc-start: arch: start.c: lxc_spawn: 1896 Failed to setup legacy device cgroup controller limits
lxc-start: arch: start.c: __lxc_start: 2074 Failed to spawn container "arch"
lxc-start: arch: tools/lxc_start.c: main: 306 The container failed to start
lxc-start: arch: tools/lxc_start.c: main: 311 Additional information can be obtained by setting the --logfile and --logpriority options

I tried tinkering a little with the cgroups-related options in my
container configuration, but that had zero impact on the error message.

-
Sergiu