all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Guix Shepherd Service Help
@ 2024-01-19 15:23 samuel
From: samuel @ 2024-01-19 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello, I'm new to Guix (About five or so days?), right now I'm
attempting to make a service for udevmon (interception-tools) so that I
can use caps2esc (I've already defined that package in my channel) so
that I don't get Emacs pinky 😄. However, I'm running into one issue... I
can get the service to launch the program, even with parameters, but it
seems that even hard-coded paths don't work inside of the configuration
yaml.

Service file:
https://github.com/chubbymomo/momo-channel/blob/main/momo/services/udevmon.scm

Relevant snippet of log: 2024-01-18 20:50:47 an exception occurred:
"exec failed for devnode /dev/input/event10, job
"/run/current-system/profile/bin/intercept -g $DEVNODE |
/run/current-system/profile/bin/caps2esc |
/run/current-system/profile/bin/uinput -d $DEVNODE" with error "No such
file or directory""

Any help would be nice, I've been smashing my head into the wall for a
few days as I feel this is required for my usage of Emacs. I'm not sure
why anyone would want this, but the relevant channels.scm snippet will
be in the readme.md of the same repository. I'm not entirely sure why it
doesn't work, running the command by hand using sudo just works. Would
somehow "dynamically" creating the yaml with path included work? I would
prefer if there could be preservation of using a yaml that isn't
statically generated.

* Re: Guix Shepherd Service Help
@ 2024-01-19 18:26 ` Richard Sent
From: Richard Sent @ 2024-01-19 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: samuel; +Cc: help-guix

On 2024-01-19 10:23, samuel@thewilley.family wrote:
> Any help would be nice, I've been smashing my head into the wall for a
> few days as I feel this is required for my usage of Emacs. I'm not sure
> why anyone would want this, but the relevant channels.scm snippet will
> be in the readme.md of the same repository. I'm not entirely sure why
> it doesn't work, running the command by hand using sudo just works.
> Would somehow "dynamically" creating the yaml with path included work?
> I would prefer if there could be preservation of using a yaml that
> isn't statically generated.

I can't help you with the service issue, but if you're running Guix
System take a look at `keyboard-layout`. i.e. (keyboard-layout "us"
#:options '("ctrl:nocaps"))

* Re: Guix Shepherd Service Help
@ 2024-01-19 19:02 ` Felix Lechner via
From: Felix Lechner via @ 2024-01-19 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: samuel, help-guix

Hi Samuel,

On Fri, Jan 19 2024, samuel@thewilley.family wrote:

> it seems that even hard-coded paths don't work inside of the
> configuration yaml.

Personally, I would create the configuration file via serializers in
'define-configuration'. It would allow you to use the store paths that
come from package variables instead of paths into the system profile.

It's a bit involved, but works great from then on out.

Kind regards
Felix