all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Truncated man pages
@ 2018-05-11 10:27 Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-05-11 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix@gnu.org

I'm experiencing an issue where a lot of specific man pages get
truncated, such as i3status or nmcli-examples.

[...]
       This example demonstrates adding a bond master connection and two
       slaves. The first command adds a master bond connection, naming the
       bonding interface mybond0 and using active-backup mode. The next two
       commands add slaves connections, both enslaved to mybond0. '

NMCLI-EXAMPLES(7)                  Examples                  NMCLI-EXAMPLES(7)

NetworkManager 1.8.4                                         NMCLI-EXAMPLES(7)

The man page is not supposed to end there.  For reference, the file
around that area is:

[...]
.PP
This example demonstrates adding a bond master connection and two slaves\&. The first command adds a master bond connection, naming the bonding interface
\fImybond0\fR
and using
\fIactive\-backup\fR
mode\&. The next two commands add slaves connections, both enslaved to
\fImybond0\fR\&. The first slave will be bound to
\fIeth1\fR
interface, the second to
\fIeth2\fR\&.
.PP
\fBExample\ \&7.\ \&Adding a team master and two slave connection profiles\fR
[...]

I see nothing wrong with the file and those man pages display fine on
other distributions as far as I know.  There might be something wrong
with GuixSD.  Any clue?

--
Pierre Neidhardt

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Truncated man pages
@ 2018-05-11 12:06 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2018-05-11 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt, help-guix

Pierre,

May 11, 2018 12:27 PM, "Pierre Neidhardt" <ambrevar@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm experiencing an issue where a lot of specific man pages get
> truncated, such as i3status or nmcli-examples.

This annoying bug has been around for as long as I can remember (or at least as long as I've packaged Knot). It might be an encoding issue. It's definitely Guix-specific.

There's an open bug (#30785) at http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-guix/2018-03/msg00141.html. Help very welcome :-)

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent from a Web browser. Excuse or enjoy my brevity.

* Re: Truncated man pages
@ 2018-05-11 12:49   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-05-11 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix

Thanks for the pointer.

Some notes:

- I've checksumed the man page from i3status' source and the one installed
in the store: they are identical.

- Emacs' "M-x man" only truncates, it does not repeat.

- Emacs' "M-x woman" works perfectly!  ("woman" is a pure Elisp
  implementation of "man".)

Conclusion: the issue is with the `man` program as packaged in Guix.

--
Pierre Neidhardt

I always pass on good advice.  It is the only thing to do with it.
It is never any good to oneself.
		-- Oscar Wilde, "An Ideal Husband"

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Truncated man pages
@ 2018-05-11 17:13     ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-05-11 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix

As suggested in the previous thread mentioned by Tobias, I checked if
the man page encoding could be the root of the issue... And indeed it
as: as soon as I removed the last non-ascii from the utf-8 encoded man
page, it displayed correctly.

Something is wrong in the build of `man`.

--
Pierre Neidhardt

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Truncated man pages
@ 2018-05-13  2:19       ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-05-13  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: help-guix

Pierre Neidhardt <ambrevar@gmail.com> writes:

> Something is wrong in the build of `man`.

Please remember to include the details you've discovered in the bug
report, also, so they are not forgotten.

Thank you for taking the time to look into it!

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Truncated man pages