all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#33119: "Bad item name" in Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
@ 2018-10-22 18:41 Christopher Lemmer Webber
From: Christopher Lemmer Webber @ 2018-10-22 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 33119

In crawl (and the crawl-tiles variant) I get frequent error messages
when levels are being generated like "Bad item name: fruit", which
appears to be for item types that were removed from the game.

Worse yet, when starting some of the sprints (eg The Pits), the game
freezes up, apparently with too many error such messages.

I figured this was due to the crawl-upgrade-saves.patch file, but when I
tried building without the patch I got the same errors.

Anyone experiencing the same?

* bug#33119: "Bad item name" in Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
@ 2018-10-22 19:49 ` nee
From: nee @ 2018-10-22 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 33119

Am 22.10.18 um 20:41 schrieb Christopher Lemmer Webber:
> In crawl (and the crawl-tiles variant) I get frequent error messages
> when levels are being generated like "Bad item name: fruit", which
> appears to be for item types that were removed from the game.
>
> Worse yet, when starting some of the sprints (eg The Pits), the game
> freezes up, apparently with too many error such messages.
>
> I figured this was due to the crawl-upgrade-saves.patch file, but when I
> tried building without the patch I got the same errors.
>
> Anyone experiencing the same?

Something is wrong with the patch. It probably doesn't upgrade the
saves. Usually crawl looks at the build date and compares that to the
build date your save was made with, but in guix that's always 1970, so
it would never upgrade saves. The patch should have fixed this by also
adding the build-version to the save, but there seems to be some bug so
it doesn't trigger the upgrade.

As a workaround for now you can rename your ~/.crawl directory to
~/.crawl-backup and play with a fresh saves directory for the new version.

Here is an example:
mv ~/.crawl ~/.crawl-backup-pre-0.22.1

* bug#33119: "Bad item name" in Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
@ 2018-10-23 16:29   ` Christopher Lemmer Webber
From: Christopher Lemmer Webber @ 2018-10-23 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nee; +Cc: 33119-done

nee writes:

> As a workaround for now you can rename your ~/.crawl directory to
> ~/.crawl-backup and play with a fresh saves directory for the new version.
>
> Here is an example:
> mv ~/.crawl ~/.crawl-backup-pre-0.22.1

This worked... I was even able to keep the scores file, though I deleted
everything else.  I stopped getting the error messages.

I'm unsure if the issue was actually being hit by anyone else, and
whether the patch needs work or not, so I'm closing this.  In the event
it should be reopened, then reopen it.