all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* checking out a shebang-patched package source
@ 2019-03-23  4:27 brettg
From: brettg @ 2019-03-23  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hey all.

I am trying to compile the newest Chez Scheme locally from a git
checkout. There are a number of shebang patches that have to be done for
it to compile "traditionally" (not using the guix build --with-source)
so I can generate a .compile_commands for my lsp to know how to
reference headers and such.

Is there a way to get guix to modify those files that it patches on my
local checkout so I dont have to go through manually modifying it
myself?

* Re: checking out a shebang-patched package source
@ 2019-03-27  1:56 ` Brett Gilio
From: Brett Gilio @ 2019-03-27  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brettg; +Cc: help-guix

brettg@posteo.net writes:

> Hey all.
>
> I am trying to compile the newest Chez Scheme locally from a git
> checkout. There are a number of shebang patches that have to be done
> for it to compile "traditionally" (not using the guix build
> --with-source) so I can generate a .compile_commands for my lsp to
> know how to reference headers and such.
>
> Is there a way to get guix to modify those files that it patches on my
> local checkout so I dont have to go through manually modifying it
> myself?

It has been a few days, so I am bumping this. Thanks :)

* Re: checking out a shebang-patched package source
@ 2019-03-28 21:06   ` Jack Hill
From: Jack Hill @ 2019-03-28 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Gilio; +Cc: help-guix

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019, Brett Gilio wrote:

> It has been a few days, so I am bumping this. Thanks :)

Brett,

Unfortunately, I don't know how to solve your problem. However, I think
that your question is appropriate for the guix-devel@gnu.org list, and I
anticipate that you'll see more replies there.

Best,
Jack

* Re: checking out a shebang-patched package source
@ 2019-03-29 19:27 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-03-29 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brettg; +Cc: help-guix

brettg@posteo.net writes:

> I am trying to compile the newest Chez Scheme locally from a git
> checkout. There are a number of shebang patches that have to be done
> for it to compile "traditionally" (not using the guix build
> --with-source) so I can generate a .compile_commands for my lsp to
> know how to reference headers and such.

I don’t know what a “lsp” and “.compile_commands” is.

> Is there a way to get guix to modify those files that it patches on my
> local checkout so I dont have to go through manually modifying it
> myself?

No, there isn’t.  Generally, patches that are applied in a snippet are
performed before the build starts, so that you can get the modified
source code with “guix build -S the-package”, but patching shebangs is
done as part of the gnu-build-system build phases.

You can attempt to execute the procedures that make up the
gnu-build-system manually, but there’s no quick way to do this
automatically.

--
Ricardo