all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* linux 4.17.7 not suitable for i386
@ 2018-07-17 15:36 Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2018-07-17 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

FYI, the latest stable Linux release (4.17.7) is not suitable for i386
(i686-linux) systems. Quoting Greg Kroah-Hartman:

"NOTE, this kernel release is broken for i386 systems.  If you are
running such a machine, do NOT update to this release, you will not be
able to boot properly.

I did this release anyway with this known problem as there is a fix in
here for x86-64 systems that was nasty to track down and was affecting
people.  Given that the huge majority of systems are NOT i386, I felt
this was a safe release to do at this point in time."

https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/7/17/434

So, we should take care to preserve the linux-libre 4.17.6 package
definition for i686-linux, or skip this release.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: linux 4.17.7 not suitable for i386
@ 2018-07-17 17:58 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2018-07-17 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> FYI, the latest stable Linux release (4.17.7) is not suitable for i386
> (i686-linux) systems. Quoting Greg Kroah-Hartman:
>
> "NOTE, this kernel release is broken for i386 systems.  If you are
> running such a machine, do NOT update to this release, you will not be
> able to boot properly.
>
> I did this release anyway with this known problem as there is a fix in
> here for x86-64 systems that was nasty to track down and was affecting
> people.  Given that the huge majority of systems are NOT i386, I felt
> this was a safe release to do at this point in time."
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/7/17/434
>
> So, we should take care to preserve the linux-libre 4.17.6 package
> definition for i686-linux, or skip this release.

Thanks, Leo.  I guess I'll skip the 4.17.6 update for now, but I'm open
to other suggestions.  Hopefully upstream will resolve this issue soon.

      Mark

* Re: linux 4.17.7 not suitable for i386
@ 2018-07-17 18:00 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2018-07-17 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 11:36:08AM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
> Quoting Greg Kroah-Hartman:
>
> "I did this release anyway with this known problem as there is a fix in
> here for x86-64 systems that was nasty to track down and was affecting
> people.  Given that the huge majority of systems are NOT i386, I felt
> this was a safe release to do at this point in time."

Apparently the missing patch is referred to here:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/7/17/443
https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/7/17/505

@ 2018-07-17 19:55 ` Brett Gilio
From: Brett Gilio @ 2018-07-17 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Leo Famulari writes:

> FYI, the latest stable Linux release (4.17.7) is not suitable
> for i386
> (i686-linux) systems. Quoting Greg Kroah-Hartman:
>
> "NOTE, this kernel release is broken for i386 systems.  If you
> are
> running such a machine, do NOT update to this release, you will
> not be
> able to boot properly.
>
> I did this release anyway with this known problem as there is a
> fix in
> here for x86-64 systems that was nasty to track down and was
> affecting
> people.  Given that the huge majority of systems are NOT i386, I
> felt
> this was a safe release to do at this point in time."
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/7/17/434
>
> So, we should take care to preserve the linux-libre 4.17.6
> package
> definition for i686-linux, or skip this release.

Thank you for the heads up on this. I am going to forward this to
the
Parabola GNU/Linux-Libre list.

* Re: linux 4.17.7 not suitable for i386
@ 2018-07-18 18:00   ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2018-07-18 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 11:36:08AM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
>> Quoting Greg Kroah-Hartman:
>>
>> "I did this release anyway with this known problem as there is a fix in
>> here for x86-64 systems that was nasty to track down and was affecting
>> people.  Given that the huge majority of systems are NOT i386, I felt
>> this was a safe release to do at this point in time."
>
> Apparently the missing patch is referred to here:
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/7/17/443
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/7/17/505

I just pushed the 4.17.7 update with the cherry-picked fix for i686.

     Thanks,
       Mark