all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Matrix & Nheko Packaging
@ 2018-10-09  3:14 Brett Gilio
From: Brett Gilio @ 2018-10-09  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi all,

In my time using GuixSD I have had some relative success in not
only
learning the environment, but also getting some of my peers to
switch.
As with Guix still being very much a growing project, we all know
the
excitement and struggle that comes with the repository lacking
some
essential packages we are accustomed in a transition.

My peers and I use the Matrix protocol for most of our
communication as
a secondary option to IRC and Email. I have been contemplating
which
Matrix client would be easiest to package for Guix and have
decided on
Nheko, which is free software.

This client has most of the necessary components already packaged
on
Guix with the exception of a few. Thankfully, those missing
packages are
also free software. So, in total, I would be looking at packaging
three
or four components.

I am wondering if there are any other Matrix users who have any
objections or agreement to this possibility.

Anyways, carry on.

https://github.com/mujx/nheko

--
Brett M. Gilio
Free Software Foundation, Member

* Re: Matrix & Nheko Packaging
@ 2018-10-09  4:39 ` Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2018-10-09  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Gilio; +Cc: guix-devel

Sometime back, I was working on packaging nheko. If I remember
correctly, I managed to get it working, but I couldn't figure out how to
get tests running properly either for nheko or one of its
dependencies. Anyways, my work is not up to submission quality, and is
lost somewhere in my git stash.

If you have a working nheko package, do submit it to
guix-patches@gnu.org. Else, if you need help, I'll dig up my work,
finish it and submit patches. Let me know.

BTW, I did package quaternion, and it is currently in Guix master. Check
if it works for you. Quaternion was working when I pushed it to Guix
master, but later after an update, I faced some issue with the chat
window widget. I haven't fixed it yet.

Regards,
Arun.

* Re: Matrix & Nheko Packaging
@ 2018-10-09  7:18   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-10-09  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arun Isaac; +Cc: guix-devel

I found out that there is an Emacs package for Matrix:

	https://github.com/jgkamat/matrix-client-el/

The authors claim it's not mature enough.  I'll try it out and if it's usable
I'll package it for Guix :)

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Matrix & Nheko Packaging
@ 2018-12-10 10:13     ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-12-10 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arun Isaac; +Cc: guix-devel

Heads up: Nicolas has packaged it! :)

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Matrix & Nheko Packaging
@ 2019-01-24 12:05     ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2019-01-24 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 2018-10-09 09:18, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
> I found out that there is an Emacs package for Matrix:
>
> 	https://github.com/jgkamat/matrix-client-el/
>
> The authors claim it's not mature enough.  I'll try it out and if it's usable
> I'll package it for Guix :)

How did it go?

--
Cheers Swedebugia

* Re: Matrix & Nheko Packaging
@ 2019-01-25  1:17       ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2019-01-25  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, swedebugia

Hello!

On January 24, 2019 12:05:06 PM UTC, swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net> wrote:
>On 2018-10-09 09:18, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
>> I found out that there is an Emacs package for Matrix:
>>
>> 	https://github.com/jgkamat/matrix-client-el/
>>
>> The authors claim it's not mature enough.  I'll try it out and if
>it's usable
>> I'll package it for Guix :)
>
>How did it go?

It's already packaged in Guix as emacs-matrix-client, no?

I tried it myself before, but it was not performing well (it was very slow).

I ended up using a Weechat relay + SSH connection, which works very well for my needs.

Maxim

* Re: Matrix & Nheko Packaging
@ 2019-01-25 11:02         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2019-01-25 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:

> It's already packaged in Guix as emacs-matrix-client, no?
>
> I tried it myself before, but it was not performing well (it was very
> slow).

"matrix-client" is already packaged, indeed.

Unfortunately, at the moment, there are some hiccups with the build
process, and the library is not usable without a tweak. I sent a fix
upstream a few days ago, and I'm now waiting for them to apply it. If it
takes too long, I will simply patch it in the package definition.

> I ended up using a Weechat relay + SSH connection, which works very well for my needs.

There is another Matrix client for Emacs, Maelstrom[1]. I didn't test
nor package it yet, but it would be good to look into it.

Regards,

Footnotes:
[1]  <http://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/maelstrom-el.git/>.

--