all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Migrating to Guile-JSON 3.x
@ 2019-01-22 13:46 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-01-22 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix!

As you may know, Guile-JSON 3.x, released a couple of weeks ago, makes
significant incompatible API changes, the most important of which is
this:

$ guix environment --ad-hoc guile guile-json@1 -- guile -c '(use-modules (json)) (pk (json-string->scm "{ \"a\": 1, \"b\": 2 }"))'

;;; (#<hash-table 10af420 2/31>)
$ guix environment --ad-hoc guile guile-json@3 -- guile -c '(use-modules (json)) (pk (json-string->scm "{ \"a\": 1, \"b\": 2 }"))'

;;; ((("b" . 2) ("a" . 1)))

In addition, JSON lists are now vectors in Scheme:

$ guix environment --ad-hoc guile guile-json@1 -- guile -c '(use-modules (json)) (pk (json-string->scm "[ 1 2 3 ]"))'

;;; ((1 2 3))
$ guix environment --ad-hoc guile guile-json@3 -- guile -c '(use-modules (json)) (pk (json-string->scm "[ 1 2 3 ]"))'

;;; (#(1 2 3))

Conclusions:

  • Migration will be tricky since we’ll have to audit all our uses.
    Most of our code that uses JSON has unit tests but some of it
    doesn’t, in particular the web interface bindings in (guix ci) and
    (guix swh).

  • We won’t be able to support both 1.x and 3.x, so it’ll be a change
    with no return.

  • Things that depend on Guix (Cuirass, GWL, hpcguix-web, etc.) will
    have to switch at the same time.

Thoughts?  Volunteers?  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Migrating to Guile-JSON 3.x
@ 2019-01-23 13:00 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-01-23 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

>   • Migration will be tricky since we’ll have to audit all our uses.
>     Most of our code that uses JSON has unit tests but some of it
>     doesn’t, in particular the web interface bindings in (guix ci) and
>     (guix swh).

I hope this will result in more tests being written :)

>   • Things that depend on Guix (Cuirass, GWL, hpcguix-web, etc.) will
>     have to switch at the same time.

I can take care of hpcguix-web.  GWL doesn’t use Guile JSON.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Migrating to Guile-JSON 3.x
@ 2019-02-11 12:29   ` zimoun