all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* RLS and Rust
@ 2019-03-20 23:54 brettg
From: brettg @ 2019-03-20 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hey all.

I am trying to use the rust language server. This might be a better
question for a rust oriented mailing list, but I am going to give it a
go here first.

I imported and installed the RLS from the crate importer, and installed
it that way. When I try to start the RLS from emacs using the lsp-mode I
get the following error.

"Server rls:5302 status:starting exited with status exit. Do you want to
restart it? (y or n) n"

Now, the RLS page suggests to add components from rustup such as
"rust-src" and "rust-analysis". I have the rust src checkout from git
and the environment variable RUST_SRC_PATH set to point to that
directory. However, that is not enough.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to proceed? Also, what is the status
on getting rust packages upstream to guix master? I know we have some
additional bootstrapping efforts to get through first.

Is anybody out there doing rust development from GuixSD?

(define-public rust-rls
   (package
    (name "rust-rls")
    (version "0.122.2")
    (source
     (origin
      (method url-fetch)
      (uri (crate-uri "rls" version))
      (file-name
       (string-append name "-" version ".tar.gz"))
      (sha256
       (base32
        "18an9hp8v68rwc5i2939h1fpjdfi4y2317c46yafv7j2rb6dfixg"))))
    (build-system cargo-build-system)
    (home-page
     "https://github.com/rust-lang-nursery/rls")
    (synopsis
     "Rust Language Server - provides information about Rust programs to
IDEs and other tools")
    (description
     "Rust Language Server - provides information about Rust programs to
IDEs and other tools")
    (license #f)))

* Re: RLS and Rust
@ 2019-03-22  2:55 ` Ivan Petkov
From: Ivan Petkov @ 2019-03-22  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brettg; +Cc: help-guix

Hi!

> On Mar 20, 2019, at 4:54 PM, brettg@posteo.net wrote:
>
> Does anybody have any ideas on how to proceed?

Not 100% sure, but does RLS still require a nightly rust?

AFAIK tools like RLS (or cargo or clippy) should be buildable from the rust
source tarball, so that may be something worth exploring! (I've been meaning
to add these as part of the rust build, but so far I've been focused on getting
the latest version packaged in guix first, still two versions behind)

> Also, what is the status on getting rust packages upstream to guix master? I know we have some additional bootstrapping efforts to get through first.

There’s no packaged rust crates in guix yet, though I’ve been working on
revamping the cargo-build-system to work with cargo in a way that feels
natural to invoke and maintain (there's a bit of an impedance mismatch between
how cargo and guix expect to handle things by default).

I have an initial proof-of-concept patch ready which I've been meaning to send
out, but I've largely spent my free time trying to get the latest rust version
packaged into guix. Keep an eye out, should be better soon!

—Ivan

* Re: RLS and Rust
@ 2019-03-27  1:58   ` Brett Gilio
From: Brett Gilio @ 2019-03-27  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Petkov; +Cc: help-guix

Ivan Petkov writes:

> Not 100% sure, but does RLS still require a nightly rust?

It might. Though, when I add it via the rustup toolchain, it works with
stable. So perhaps it still does need nightly to compile but not to run.

> There’s no packaged rust crates in guix yet, though I’ve been working on
> revamping the cargo-build-system to work with cargo in a way that feels
> natural to invoke and maintain (there's a bit of an impedance mismatch between
> how cargo and guix expect to handle things by default).

What can I do to help you? I'd be happy to help.