all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* GNOME Terminal: Horrible font after guix system reconfigure
@ 2020-01-09  0:34 sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2020-01-09  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Help

Hi,

I have GNOME 3.32.2 now. When I launched a GNOME Terminal, I noticed that the font is too big and the spacing between characters seems odd:

  https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2020/01/terminal-font-problem-2020-01-08.png

Maybe there is a bug with the defaults (at least with the spacing)?

As a workaround, you can

1. Start a GNOME Terminal
2. Go to Terminal → Preferences
3. Select the active Profile
4. Activate the "Custom font" option
5. Select a font and size of your preference

---
https://sirgazil.bitbucket.io/

* Re: GNOME Terminal: Horrible font after guix system reconfigure
@ 2020-01-09  1:16 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2020-01-09  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, sirgazil

Sirgazil,

sirgazil 写道:
> Maybe there is a bug with the defaults (at least with the
> spacing)?

Yes, although the spacing is simply a side-effect of a bad or
missing default font.  This is what variable-width (proportional)
fonts look like when rendered as fixed-width (monospace) cells.

If you're lucky, GNOME is innocent, and a stale fontconfig cache
is to blame.

1. Does /var/cache/fontconfig exist?  If so, remove it (you'll
probably need sudo)
2. Regardless of step 1: run ‘fc-cache -r’ (without sudo) and
3. Open a new terminal[0]
4. …profit?

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]: I don't know whether GNOME terminal tries to be clever by
opening new windows in the same process, so do make sure you're
actually starting a fresh instance.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: GNOME Terminal: Horrible font after guix system reconfigure
@ 2020-01-09  8:47 ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2020-01-09  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

sirgazil <sirgazil@zoho.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have GNOME 3.32.2 now. When I launched a GNOME Terminal, I noticed that the font is too big and the spacing between characters seems odd:
>
>   https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2020/01/terminal-font-problem-2020-01-08.png
>
> Maybe there is a bug with the defaults (at least with the spacing)?

As another approach, I changed the Monospace Text option, within the
Fonts category of the Tweaks app (in the gnome-tweaks package).

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: GNOME Terminal: Horrible font after guix system reconfigure
@ 2020-01-09 14:21   ` sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2020-01-09 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix

 ---- On Wed, 08 Jan 2020 20:16:59 -0500 Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> wrote ----
 > Sirgazil,
 >
 > sirgazil 写道:
 > > Maybe there is a bug with the defaults (at least with the
 > > spacing)?
 >
 > Yes, although the spacing is simply a side-effect of a bad or
 > missing default font.  This is what variable-width (proportional)
 > fonts look like when rendered as fixed-width (monospace) cells.
 >
 > If you're lucky, GNOME is innocent, and a stale fontconfig cache
 > is to blame.
 >
 > 1. Does /var/cache/fontconfig exist?  If so, remove it (you'll
 > probably need sudo)
 > 2. Regardless of step 1: run ‘fc-cache -r’ (without sudo) and
 > 3. Open a new terminal[0]
 > 4. …profit?

No profit.

1. fontconfig existed, I removed it
2. run "fc-cache -r"
3. Closed all terminal instances, started new, but nothing. Also restarted the desktop session, and nothing.

Tobias, why is it that you have to clean caches by hand on the Guix System? I don't understand why the system can't do this for me...

Maybe the manual should have a troubleshooting section and we could add something there about dealing with font problems? Because, currently, the manual says that you may need "fc-cache -rv" to refresh the font cache, but only when you are using Guix on a foreign distribution.

* Re: GNOME Terminal: Horrible font after guix system reconfigure
@ 2020-01-09 14:23   ` sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2020-01-09 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: help-guix

 ---- On Thu, 09 Jan 2020 03:47:41 -0500 Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> wrote ----

 > sirgazil <sirgazil@zoho.com> writes:
 >
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > I have GNOME 3.32.2 now. When I launched a GNOME Terminal, I noticed that the font is too big and the spacing between characters seems odd:
 > >
 > >   https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2020/01/terminal-font-problem-2020-01-08.png
 > >
 > > Maybe there is a bug with the defaults (at least with the spacing)?
 >
 > As another approach, I changed the Monospace Text option, within the
 > Fonts category of the Tweaks app (in the gnome-tweaks package).

That works too, yes. In my case, that option was set to "None 10" (so, no font, and size 10).

* Re: GNOME Terminal: Horrible font after guix system reconfigure
@ 2020-02-12 13:58 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-02-12 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sirgazil; +Cc: Guix Help

Hello!

sirgazil <sirgazil@zoho.com> skribis:

> I have GNOME 3.32.2 now. When I launched a GNOME Terminal, I noticed that the font is too big and the spacing between characters seems odd:
>
>   https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2020/01/terminal-font-problem-2020-01-08.png
>
> Maybe there is a bug with the defaults (at least with the spacing)?

This problem still shows up in ‘guix system vm’, so it’s not related to
state.

Any idea how to fix it?

Ludo’.

* Re: GNOME Terminal: Horrible font after guix system reconfigure
@ 2020-02-12 23:55   ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2020-02-12 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix