all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Guix on Macintosh?
@ 2023-06-19 12:50 Yasuaki Kudo
From: Yasuaki Kudo @ 2023-06-19 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi!

I started to experiment with VSCode DevContainers, to see if it is
possible for Linux/Windows/Macintosh users to share the same Linux
development environment.

https://github.com/yugawara/xeyes

I work at a worker cooperative ( our federation site is here at
https://patio.coop ) and one thing we have in common is to work from
various places on the planet and we like having all services that make
up a (web) application on our laptop computers, etc.

As we all know, the way Docker works means there is horrendous waste on
hard drives and network.  So I am thinking of using Guix.  However, I
understand that there is no native support for Guix for Macintosh.

Although I am not terribly sure (yet) how Guix may or may not help with
script specific packages such as NPM..., my biggest question is how a
Mancintosh user can take advantage of Guix.

There are quite a lot of programmers with those shiny Mac Laptops...  Of
course, as a last resort, there must be some Intel emulators for these
so one can install Linux and Windows on top of them but I wonder if:

* Guix Package Manger can be installed within a Docker Container which
can be hosted on a Macintosh?

The reason I am asking about Mac in particular is that Windows does a
decent Linux emulation with WSL2 and my solution would seem to work.  I
just don't have any Mac hardware so I cannot tell for sure if this is at
all viable...

If it does, although this might be a little convoluted but I think we
can use Guix as part of a Docker container that is meant for programmers
in the same development team.

Many thanks  in advance!!

-Yasu