all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#66059: [cuirass] [feature] Mention which builder machine was used
@ 2023-09-17 19:17 Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2023-09-17 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 66059

Hello,

When investigating a build failure, it can be useful to see the logs of
the machine that built the package (to determine whether it ran out of
memory, say), but currently the build logs or even the derivation page
on Cuirass doesn't track such information: it's not visible in the web
interface and not mentioned either in the build log.

We should add it to both places, ideally.

Maxim

* bug#66059: [cuirass] [feature] Mention which builder machine was used
@ 2023-09-22  8:21 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2023-09-22  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: 66059-done

Hi Maxim,

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> skribis:

> When investigating a build failure, it can be useful to see the logs of
> the machine that built the package (to determine whether it ran out of
> memory, say), but currently the build logs or even the derivation page
> on Cuirass doesn't track such information: it's not visible in the web
> interface and not mentioned either in the build log.

Fixed, on the build page (we can’t really do that on the build log):

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-cuirass.git/commit/?id=be79b1e4067a029dbe84d88dc6731a8a2a70db32

It was easy to do because Cuirass already keeps track of that.

However, Cuirass keeps track of the “worker” that was used, not the
machine.  A “worker” is essentially a fiber in the ‘cuirass
remote-worker’ process, with a temporary random name; when the worker
goes away, we become unable to map it back to the machine it belonged to
(I think).  Which means we’ll lose that info eventually.

(Now the whole point of normalized build environments is that knowing
which machine was used should rarely matter.)

Thanks,
Ludo’.