all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Upgrade errors
@ 2018-05-04 19:42 sidhu1f
From: sidhu1f @ 2018-05-04 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi

I have managed to install Guix SD on my laptop but am having problems
upgrading.

'guix pull' went through fine but 'sudo guix system reconfigure
/etc/config.scm' is giving the following errors:

guix system: unloading service 'user-homes'...
shepherd: Removing service 'user-homes'...
shepherd: Done.
guix system: unloading service 'term-auto'...
shepherd: Removing service 'term-auto'...
shepherd: Done.
guix system: loading new services: user-homes term-auto...
shepherd: Evaluating user expression (register-services (primitive-load
"/gnu/st?") #).
shepherd: Service user-homes could not be started.
shepherd: Service term-auto could not be started.
Installing for i386-pc platform.
/gnu/store/nrv2v67k7r6s8pr7fl97hjp649idiiqn-grub-2.02/sbin/grub-install:
error: unable to identify a filesystem in hostdisk//dev/sda; safety check
can't be performed.

The services not restarting error seems similar to bug#30706 which at
least in one person was able to resolve by rebooting
(https://debbugs.gnu.org/db/30/30706.html). Rebooting doesn't help in
my case.

The grub-install error seems due to full disk encryption (with
LUKS). Unclear why it occurs as I followed install instructions for
disk encryption.

Original install was version 0.14, x86-64. My config.scm is attached.

Please help!

Regards
sidhu1f

[-- Attachment #2: config.scm --]
[-- Type: text/x-scheme, Size: 2165 bytes --]

;; This is an operating system configuration template
;; for a "desktop" setup with GNOME and Xfce where the
;; root partition is encrypted with LUKS.

(use-modules (gnu) (gnu system nss))
(use-service-modules desktop)
;;(use-package-modules certs gnome)
(use-package-modules certs ratpoison)

(operating-system
  (host-name "anu")
  (timezone "Asia/Kolkata")
  (locale "en_IN.utf8")

  ;; Assuming /dev/sdX is the target hard disk, and "my-root"
  ;; is the label of the target root file system.
  (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
                (bootloader grub-bootloader)
                (target "/dev/sda1")))

  ;; Specify a mapped device for the encrypted root partition.
  ;; The UUID is that returned by 'cryptsetup luksUUID'.
  (mapped-devices
   (list (mapped-device
          (source (uuid "fe4039bc-d231-4943-9704-f8a1186e6d42"))
          (target "fs-root")
          (type luks-device-mapping))))

  (file-systems (cons (file-system
                        (device "fs-root")
                        (title 'label)
                        (mount-point "/")
                        (type "ext4")
                        (dependencies mapped-devices))
                      %base-file-systems))

  (users (cons (user-account
                (name "rs")
                (comment "RS")
                (group "users")
                (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev"
                                        "audio" "video"))
                (home-directory "/home/rs"))
               %base-user-accounts))

  ;; This is where we specify system-wide packages.
  (packages (cons* ratpoison
		   nss-certs         ;for HTTPS access
                   ;;gvfs              ;for user mounts
                   %base-packages))

  ;; Add GNOME and/or Xfce---we can choose at the log-in
  ;; screen with F1.  Use the "desktop" services, which
  ;; include the X11 log-in service, networking with Wicd,
  ;; and more.
  (services (cons* ;;(gnome-desktop-service)
                   (xfce-desktop-service)
                   %desktop-services))

  ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
  (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss))

* Re: Upgrade errors
@ 2018-05-07 16:12 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-05-07 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sidhu1f; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

sidhu1f <sidhu1f@gmail.com> skribis:

> Installing for i386-pc platform.
> /gnu/store/nrv2v67k7r6s8pr7fl97hjp649idiiqn-grub-2.02/sbin/grub-install:
> error: unable to identify a filesystem in hostdisk//dev/sda; safety check
> can't be performed.
>
> The services not restarting error seems similar to bug#30706 which at
> least in one person was able to resolve by rebooting
> (https://debbugs.gnu.org/db/30/30706.html). Rebooting doesn't help in
> my case.

[...]

>   (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
>                 (bootloader grub-bootloader)
>                 (target "/dev/sda1")))

Here ‘target’ specifies a partition instead of a disk, which may well be
the issue.

Did you mean “/dev/sda” instead?

HTH,
Ludo’.

* Re: Upgrade errors
@ 2018-05-11 19:51   ` sidhu1f
From: sidhu1f @ 2018-05-11 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

> Hi,

Hi Ludo’

> sidhu1f <sidhu1f@gmail.com> skribis:

> > Installing for i386-pc platform.
> > /gnu/store/nrv2v67k7r6s8pr7fl97hjp649idiiqn-grub-2.02/sbin/grub-install:
> > error: unable to identify a filesystem in hostdisk//dev/sda; safety
check
> > can't be performed.
> >
> > The services not restarting error seems similar to bug#30706 which at
> > least in one person was able to resolve by rebooting
> > (https://debbugs.gnu.org/db/30/30706.html). Rebooting doesn't help in
> > my case.

> [...]

> >   (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
> >                 (bootloader grub-bootloader)
> >                 (target "/dev/sda1")))

> Here ‘target’ specifies a partition instead of a disk, which may well be
> the issue.

> Did you mean “/dev/sda” instead?

Issue reported persists whether I use '/dev/sda1' or
'/dev/sda' (reason I tried 'sda1' is another long story to do
with libreboot, grub and GPT partiton table...)

I did discover something curious: my guix version seems unchanged
even after multiple 'guix system reconfigure' invocations. I do
believe I heeded the documentation to do a 'guix pull' before the
first reconfigure. Still, invocations of 'guix',
'/var/guix/profiles/system-1-link/profile/bin/guix --version' and
'/var/guix/profiles/system-11-link/profile/bin/guix --version'
all produce:

  guix (GNU Guix) 12e352dbcfc07b870c812999ae81c16f0aa8dc2c
  Copyright...

I tracked down the above three guix invocations to '.guix-real'
files in different '/gnu/store/<hash>-0.14.0-11.ab85cf7/bin'
subdirectories. While the <hash> differed, the '.guix-real' in
all seems (except for some pathnames) the same.

Could this indicate why I'm facing the services not restarting
error? In any case could you (or someone else) please help
resolve the problem. I have reasonable experience with guile and
can try to fix this on my own if given reasonable guidance
regarding where the problem may lie.

> HTH,
> Ludo’.

Regards
sidhu1f

On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 9:42 PM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> sidhu1f <sidhu1f@gmail.com> skribis:
>
> > Installing for i386-pc platform.
> > /gnu/store/nrv2v67k7r6s8pr7fl97hjp649idiiqn-grub-2.02/sbin/grub-install:
> > error: unable to identify a filesystem in hostdisk//dev/sda; safety check
> > can't be performed.
> >
> > The services not restarting error seems similar to bug#30706 which at
> > least in one person was able to resolve by rebooting
> > (https://debbugs.gnu.org/db/30/30706.html). Rebooting doesn't help in
> > my case.
>
> [...]
>
> >   (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
> >                 (bootloader grub-bootloader)
> >                 (target "/dev/sda1")))
>
> Here ‘target’ specifies a partition instead of a disk, which may well be
> the issue.
>
> Did you mean “/dev/sda” instead?
>
> HTH,
> Ludo’.

* Re: Upgrade errors
@ 2018-05-12  7:53     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-05-12  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sidhu1f; +Cc: help-guix

Hi sidhu1f,

> I did discover something curious: my guix version seems unchanged
> even after multiple 'guix system reconfigure' invocations. I do
> believe I heeded the documentation to do a 'guix pull' before the
> first reconfigure. Still, invocations of 'guix',
> '/var/guix/profiles/system-1-link/profile/bin/guix --version' and
> '/var/guix/profiles/system-11-link/profile/bin/guix --version'
> all produce:
>
>   guix (GNU Guix) 12e352dbcfc07b870c812999ae81c16f0aa8dc2c
>   Copyright...

This is not as helpful as it may seem.  The “guix” executable first
checks if ~/.config/guix/latest exists.  If it does it will load modules
from there.  It seems that you’ve used different guix executables, but
they would all load the same modules from ~/.config/guix/latest.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Upgrade errors
@ 2018-05-12 18:08       ` sidhu1f
From: sidhu1f @ 2018-05-12 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Rekado

On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 1:23 PM, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> > I did discover something curious: my guix version seems unchanged
> > even after multiple 'guix system reconfigure' invocations. I do
> > believe I heeded the documentation to do a 'guix pull' before the
> > first reconfigure. Still, invocations of 'guix',
> > '/var/guix/profiles/system-1-link/profile/bin/guix --version' and
> > '/var/guix/profiles/system-11-link/profile/bin/guix --version'
> > all produce:
> >
> >   guix (GNU Guix) 12e352dbcfc07b870c812999ae81c16f0aa8dc2c
> >   Copyright...

> This is not as helpful as it may seem.  The “guix” executable first
> checks if ~/.config/guix/latest exists.  If it does it will load modules
> from there.  It seems that you’ve used different guix executables, but
> they would all load the same modules from ~/.config/guix/latest.

I understand and accept what you are saying but it is not clear what
it means in the current context. Do you mean that the guix version of
Guix SD v0.14.0 fresh install, and the guix version after recently
(couple of days back) doing a 'guix pull' and 'guix system
reconfigure' being the same is expected behavior? By "guix version"
above I mean the output displayed by 'guix --version'.

Regards
sidhu1f

* Re: Upgrade errors, Re: Upgrade errors
@ 2018-05-13  2:03       ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-05-13  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sidhu1f; +Cc: help-guix

sidhu1f <sidhu1f@gmail.com> writes:

>  ;; Assuming /dev/sdX is the target hard disk, and "my-root"
>  ;; is the label of the target root file system.
>  (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
>                (bootloader grub-bootloader)
>                (target "/dev/sda1")))
>
>  ;; Specify a mapped device for the encrypted root partition.
>  ;; The UUID is that returned by 'cryptsetup luksUUID'.
>  (mapped-devices
>   (list (mapped-device
>          (source (uuid "fe4039bc-d231-4943-9704-f8a1186e6d42"))
>          (target "fs-root")
>          (type luks-device-mapping))))
>
>  (file-systems (cons (file-system
>                        (device "fs-root")
>                        (title 'label)
>                        (mount-point "/")
>                        (type "ext4")
>                        (dependencies mapped-devices))
>                      %base-file-systems))

Can you also share the output of the following commands?

  sudo lsblk -p -o NAME,TYPE,FSTYPE,LABEL,UUID,MOUNTPOINT
  sudo parted -l

This will tell us how your disks, partitions, and LUKS volume are
configured.  Hopefully that will make it easier to see why your
configuration isn't working.  If you don't have those programs
available, you can install them with:

  guix package -i util-linux parted

sidhu1f <sidhu1f@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Rekado
>
> On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 1:23 PM, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:
>
>> > I did discover something curious: my guix version seems unchanged
>> > even after multiple 'guix system reconfigure' invocations. I do
>> > believe I heeded the documentation to do a 'guix pull' before the
>> > first reconfigure. Still, invocations of 'guix',
>> > '/var/guix/profiles/system-1-link/profile/bin/guix --version' and
>> > '/var/guix/profiles/system-11-link/profile/bin/guix --version'
>> > all produce:
>> >
>> >   guix (GNU Guix) 12e352dbcfc07b870c812999ae81c16f0aa8dc2c
>> >   Copyright...
>
>> This is not as helpful as it may seem.  The “guix” executable first
>> checks if ~/.config/guix/latest exists.  If it does it will load modules
>> from there.  It seems that you’ve used different guix executables, but
>> they would all load the same modules from ~/.config/guix/latest.
>
> I understand and accept what you are saying but it is not clear what
> it means in the current context. Do you mean that the guix version of
> Guix SD v0.14.0 fresh install, and the guix version after recently
> (couple of days back) doing a 'guix pull' and 'guix system
> reconfigure' being the same is expected behavior? By "guix version"
> above I mean the output displayed by 'guix --version'.

The "guix" command is a thin wrapper that quickly delegates to whatever
you've installed in ~/.config/guix/latest.  This is by design; it is how
we currently make it possible for multiple users to maintain separate
installations of Guix simultaneously.  For a more detailed description
of how this works, you might find this email thread helpful:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2017-09/msg00092.html

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Upgrade errors, Re: Upgrade errors
@ 2018-08-04  8:10         ` sidhu1f
From: sidhu1f @ 2018-08-04  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Chris

Apologies for the delay in response. Meanwhile I have done a clean
reinstall of guix version 0.15 and the error persists:
shepherd: Service user-homes could not be started.
shepherd: Service term-auto could not be started.

is output by 'guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm' after a 'guix
pull' (both run as root).

Output you requested:

rs@anu ~$ sudo lsblk -p -o NAME,TYPE,FSTYPE,LABEL,UUID,MOUNTPOINT
NAME                      TYPE  FSTYPE      LABEL   UUID
                  MOUNTPOINT
/dev/sda                  disk
└─/dev/sda1               part  crypto_LUKS
c396a60c-2c22-44eb-97f4-4d885d894782
  └─/dev/mapper/root-part crypt ext4        root-fs
8daae8f5-6dc0-4272-b615-fee947ba6a1e /

rs@anu ~$ sudo /home/rs/.guix-profile/sbin/parted -l
Model: ATA Samsung SSD 850 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 256GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End    Size   Type     File system  Flags
 1      1049kB  256GB  256GB  primary

Also, my current /etc/config.scm is attached.

Look forward to help on resolving these somewhat irritating errors.

Regards
sidhu1f

On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 7:33 AM, Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> wrote:
> sidhu1f <sidhu1f@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>  ;; Assuming /dev/sdX is the target hard disk, and "my-root"
>>  ;; is the label of the target root file system.
>>  (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
>>                (bootloader grub-bootloader)
>>                (target "/dev/sda1")))
>>
>>  ;; Specify a mapped device for the encrypted root partition.
>>  ;; The UUID is that returned by 'cryptsetup luksUUID'.
>>  (mapped-devices
>>   (list (mapped-device
>>          (source (uuid "fe4039bc-d231-4943-9704-f8a1186e6d42"))
>>          (target "fs-root")
>>          (type luks-device-mapping))))
>>
>>  (file-systems (cons (file-system
>>                        (device "fs-root")
>>                        (title 'label)
>>                        (mount-point "/")
>>                        (type "ext4")
>>                        (dependencies mapped-devices))
>>                      %base-file-systems))
>
> Can you also share the output of the following commands?
>
>   sudo lsblk -p -o NAME,TYPE,FSTYPE,LABEL,UUID,MOUNTPOINT
>   sudo parted -l
>
> This will tell us how your disks, partitions, and LUKS volume are
> configured.  Hopefully that will make it easier to see why your
> configuration isn't working.  If you don't have those programs
> available, you can install them with:
>
>   guix package -i util-linux parted
>
> sidhu1f <sidhu1f@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Rekado

>>> This is not as helpful as it may seem.  The “guix” executable first
>>> checks if ~/.config/guix/latest exists.  If it does it will load modules
>>> from there.  It seems that you’ve used different guix executables, but
>>> they would all load the same modules from ~/.config/guix/latest.
>>
>> I understand and accept what you are saying but it is not clear what
>> it means in the current context. Do you mean that the guix version of
>> Guix SD v0.14.0 fresh install, and the guix version after recently
>> (couple of days back) doing a 'guix pull' and 'guix system
>> reconfigure' being the same is expected behavior? By "guix version"
>> above I mean the output displayed by 'guix --version'.
>
> The "guix" command is a thin wrapper that quickly delegates to whatever
> you've installed in ~/.config/guix/latest.  This is by design; it is how
> we currently make it possible for multiple users to maintain separate
> installations of Guix simultaneously.  For a more detailed description
> of how this works, you might find this email thread helpful:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2017-09/msg00092.html
>
> --
> Chris

[-- Attachment #2: config.scm --]

;; This is an operating system configuration template
;; for a "desktop" setup with GNOME and Xfce where the
;; root partition is encrypted with LUKS.

(use-modules (gnu) (gnu system nss))
(use-service-modules desktop)
(use-package-modules certs gnome)

(operating-system
  (host-name "anu")
  (timezone "Asia/Kolkata")
  (locale "en_IN.utf8")

  ;; Use the UEFI variant of GRUB with the EFI System
  ;; Partition mounted on /boot/efi.
  (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
                (bootloader grub-bootloader)
                (target "/dev/sda")))

  ;; Specify a mapped device for the encrypted root partition.
  ;; The UUID is that returned by 'cryptsetup luksUUID'.
  (mapped-devices
   (list (mapped-device
          (source (uuid "c396a60c-2c22-44eb-97f4-4d885d894782"))
          (target "root-part")
          (type luks-device-mapping))))

  (file-systems (cons (file-system
                        (device (file-system-label "root-fs"))
                        (mount-point "/")
                        (type "ext4")
                        (dependencies mapped-devices))
                      %base-file-systems))

  (users (cons (user-account
                (name "rs")
                (comment "Reetinder Sidhu")
                (group "users")
                (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev"
                                        "audio" "video"))
                (home-directory "/home/rs"))
               %base-user-accounts))

  ;; This is where we specify system-wide packages.
  (packages (cons* nss-certs         ;for HTTPS access
                   gvfs              ;for user mounts
                   %base-packages))

  ;; Add GNOME and/or Xfce---we can choose at the log-in
  ;; screen with F1.  Use the "desktop" services, which
  ;; include the X11 log-in service, networking with
  ;; NetworkManager, and more.
  (services (cons* (xfce-desktop-service)

@ 2018-08-04  8:33           ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-08-04  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sidhu1f; +Cc: help-guix

I haven't tested but at first glance I would say that the target of the
mapped-device and the root filesystem device don't match: one is "root-part" and
the other is (file-system-label "root-fs").

According to the example in the manual ("(guix) Using the Configuration
System"), you should replace

	(file-system-label "root-fs")

with

  "root-part"

Also watch out with those `cons', you should use `cons*' or `list' if someday
you'd like to add more than one element.
--
Pierre Neidhardt

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Upgrade errors, Re: Upgrade errors
@ 2018-08-04 14:28             ` sidhu1f
From: sidhu1f @ 2018-08-04 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: help-guix

> According to the example in the manual ("(guix) Using the Configuration
> System"), you should replace
>
>         (file-system-label "root-fs")
>
> with
>
>  "root-part"

Doing so (and doing 'guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm') results
in the following error:
/etc/config.scm:29:22: error: device 'root-part' not found: No such
file or directory

However replacing "root-part" in your suggestion with
"/dev/mapper/root-part" (as suggested for mapped devices in File
Systems (sec. 6.2.3) of the manual) avoids above error. It seems that
the manual example config.scm with mapped-devices needs to be
corrected in the above manner.

But the pesky original issue of user-homes and term-auto services
could not be started remains even after specifying
"/dev/mapper/root-part". Does the error have something to do with my
using just a single (encrypted) partition for everything (including
/home)?

Regards
sidhu1f