all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* GNOME no thumbnails?
@ 2019-05-20 18:12 nightowl
From: nightowl @ 2019-05-20 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help guix

Does anyone have a problem getting jpg and png picture files to have
thumbnail previews shown in the file browser (nautilus)?  My instance of
GNOME does not appear to be generaterating the thumbnail images.

* Re: GNOME no thumbnails?
@ 2019-05-22 14:16 ` Timothy Sample
From: Timothy Sample @ 2019-05-22 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nightowl; +Cc: Help guix

Hi nightowl,

nightowl <nightowl@members.fsf.org> writes:

> Does anyone have a problem getting jpg and png picture files to have
> thumbnail previews shown in the file browser (nautilus)?  My instance
> of GNOME does not appear to be generaterating the thumbnail images.

I am seeing this too.  It looks like it may have started after updating
GNOME to 3.28, since some of my older files have thumbnails.

-- Tim

* Re: GNOME no thumbnails?
@ 2019-05-23  2:06   ` nightowl
From: nightowl @ 2019-05-23  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy Sample; +Cc: Help guix

I was looking on the internet for similar problem and found at least one
other distro called clearlinux that reports a similar issue:

https://github.com/clearlinux/distribution/issues/701

I am not very knowlegeable about this, but checked it out a little on my
own guixsd installation using GNOME desktop (I believe 3.28 as I updated
recently).  It looks like thumbnails get generated by a thumbnailer
program in GNOME (exactly how I am not sure), and get placed into the
~/.cache/thumbnails directory.  Further, there are two subdirectories in
that folder one called 'failed' and the other called 'normal'.  What I
find is any time I add a picture file to my hard drive, a thumbnail file
does get generated but is placed in the failed folder.  Looking at the
failed thumbnail file however shows a blank image.

As a second test, I installed a picture viewer called geequi that lets
me brows pictures by thumnails.  This program generated a bunch of
thumnails and placed them into the ~/.cache/thumnails/normal folder.
Then if I look at the same pictures in nautilus I can see the thumnails
this time as the typical small picture next to the file name.

So it appears that existing normal thumnails display in nautilus once
they are generated, but the problem is they are not being automatically
generated through nautilus for new picture files as one would expect.

Should this be filed as a bug in guixsd or is it a gnome problem or is
it something that needs to be configured somhow?