all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Install and load new emacs package without restarting it
@ 2023-05-04  9:38 André A. Gomes
From: André A. Gomes @ 2023-05-04  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi Guix,

I'm wondering whether it's possible to install an emacs package and
enable it without restarting emacs.

What I've tried:

- $ guix install emacs-nix-mode
- Locate /gnu/store/...emacs-nix-mode/share/emacs/site-lisp/nix-mode
- Run command dired-do-load from the directory above

Unfortunately it doesn't quite work.  It did load the package, but it
prints the following error when trying to enable the mode.

execute-extended-command: Cannot open load file: No such file or directory, nix-mode

Thanks!

--
André A. Gomes
"You cannot even find the ruins..."

* Re: Install and load new emacs package without restarting it
@ 2023-05-04 22:09 ` Mekeor Melire
From: Mekeor Melire @ 2023-05-04 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: André A. Gomes; +Cc: help-guix

> Hi Guix,

Hello!

> I'm wondering whether it's possible to install an emacs package
> and
> enable it without restarting emacs.
>
> What I've tried:
>
> - $ guix install emacs-nix-mode
> - Locate
> /gnu/store/...emacs-nix-mode/share/emacs/site-lisp/nix-mode
> - Run command dired-do-load from the directory above
>
> Unfortunately it doesn't quite work.  It did load the package,
> but it
> prints the following error when trying to enable the mode.
>
> execute-extended-command: Cannot open load file: No such file or
> directory, nix-mode

I'm not very familiar with dired-do-load, but I guess, it loads
the elisp-files sequentially or so. So, one of those files tries
to load/require "nix-mode" but that file/feature has not been
loaded yet.

Instead, you can try one of these approaches: After installing
emacs-nix-mode, type either:

    M-: (load
    "~/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/nix-mode.../nix-mode.el")
    RET

Or:

    M-: (add-to-list 'load-path
    "~/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/nix-mode.../nix-mode.el")
    RET
    M-: (require 'nix-mode) RET

Or, if you have emacs-guix installed, you could try:

    M-x guix-emacs-autoload-packages RET

Good luck!

* Re: Install and load new emacs package without restarting it
@ 2023-05-08  1:15   ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2023-05-08  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mekeor Melire; +Cc: André A. Gomes, help-guix

Hi,

Mekeor Melire <mekeor@posteo.de> writes:

>> Hi Guix,
>
> Hello!
>
>> I'm wondering whether it's possible to install an emacs package and
>> enable it without restarting emacs.

[...]

> Or, if you have emacs-guix installed, you could try:
>
>    M-x guix-emacs-autoload-packages RET

It should be the above (note that it ships with Guix itself, not with
emacs-guix) as the glue used to load the autoload packages.

It used to work prior to reinstating elisp package installation to their
own unique directory.  I think it'd be worth it to open a bug for it and
try to make it work again; it shouldn't be too difficult.

Maxim

* Re: Install and load new emacs package without restarting it
@ 2023-05-08  8:11     ` Mekeor Melire
From: Mekeor Melire @ 2023-05-08  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: André A. Gomes, help-guix

On May 8, 2023 3:15:55 AM GMT+02:00, Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Mekeor Melire <mekeor@posteo.de> writes:

>>> Hi Guix,
>>
>> Hello!
>>
>>> I'm wondering whether it's possible to install an emacs package and
>>> enable it without restarting emacs.
>>>

>[...]
>
>> Or, if you have emacs-guix installed, you could try:
>>
>>    M-x guix-emacs-autoload-packages RET
>
>It should be the above (note that it ships with Guix itself, not with
>emacs-guix) as the glue used to load the autoload packages.
>
>It used to work prior to reinstating elisp package installation to their
>own unique directory.  I think it'd be worth it to open a bug for it and
>try to make it work again; it shouldn't be too difficult.
>
>--
>Thanks,
>Maxim

Thanks for clarification.

So, you are suggesting that guix-emacs-autoload-packages currently does not work? I just tested it on my machine and it works just fine.

* Re: Install and load new emacs package without restarting it
@ 2023-05-08 12:18       ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2023-05-08 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mekeor Melire; +Cc: André A. Gomes, help-guix

Hi,

Mekeor Melire <mekeor@posteo.de> writes:

> On May 8, 2023 3:15:55 AM GMT+02:00, Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Hi,

>>> Hello!

>>[...]
>>
>>> Or, if you have emacs-guix installed, you could try:
>>>
>>>    M-x guix-emacs-autoload-packages RET
>>
>>It should be the above (note that it ships with Guix itself, not with
>>emacs-guix) as the glue used to load the autoload packages.
>>
>>It used to work prior to reinstating elisp package installation to their
>>own unique directory.  I think it'd be worth it to open a bug for it and
>>try to make it work again; it shouldn't be too difficult.
>>
>>--
>>Thanks,
>>Maxim
>
> Thanks for clarification.
>
> So, you are suggesting that guix-emacs-autoload-packages currently
> does not work? I just tested it on my machine and it works just fine.

I think it would work only for "legacy" Elisp packages that still
install directly to the EMACSLOADPATH (site-lisp) directory, but not
those who install to their own sub-directory, basically those with
directories listed in your $EMACSLOADPATH/subdirs.el file.

One example in my profile is emacs-cmake-mode, which installs its files
to:

/gnu/store/...-emacs-cmake-mode-3.25.1/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode-3.25.1

Maxim