all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Recommendations for libre WiFi-USB adapters?
@ 2016-02-08  8:15 Florian Paul Schmidt
From: Florian Paul Schmidt @ 2016-02-08  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

* Re: Recommendations for libre WiFi-USB adapters?
@ 2016-02-08 12:40 ` Nils Gillmann
From: Nils Gillmann @ 2016-02-08 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Paul Schmidt; +Cc: help-guix

Florian Paul Schmidt <mista.tapas@gmx.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> this was discussed on IRC a while ago, but I couldn't find the
> reference to it anymore. What are some decent WiFi-USB adapters that
> are affordable and easy to get in Europe/Germany?
>
> Regards,
> Flo
>
> --
> https://fps.io

Hi,

there's hnode.org and some other pages covering it I don't have
at hand at the moment. If you have no problems with dongles and
maybe want it to use for future purposes as an WiFi AP, you could
get TP-Link TL-WN722N, v1.10 works with linux-libre (personally
tested) and there are some more resources on this out there.

--
ng

* Re: Recommendations for libre WiFi-USB adapters?
@ 2016-02-08 13:00   ` Florian Paul Schmidt
From: Florian Paul Schmidt @ 2016-02-08 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nils Gillmann; +Cc: help-guix

* Re: Recommendations for libre WiFi-USB adapters?
@ 2016-02-09 12:05 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-02-09 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Paul Schmidt; +Cc: help-guix

Florian Paul Schmidt <mista.tapas@gmx.net> skribis:

> this was discussed on IRC a while ago, but I couldn't find the
> reference to it anymore. What are some decent WiFi-USB adapters that
> are affordable and easy to get in Europe/Germany?

FWIW, I use the RYF-stamped, Atheros-based USB dongle:

  https://www.fsf.org/news/ryf-certification-thinkpenguin-usb-with-atheros-chip

It’s certified to work with GuixSD.  :-)  Firmware is available and
built from source:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/#ath9k-htc-firmware

Ludo’.

* Re: Recommendations for libre WiFi-USB adapters?
@ 2016-02-15 18:19   ` Nils Gillmann
From: Nils Gillmann @ 2016-02-15 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Florian Paul Schmidt <mista.tapas@gmx.net> skribis:
>
>> this was discussed on IRC a while ago, but I couldn't find the
>> reference to it anymore. What are some decent WiFi-USB adapters that
>> are affordable and easy to get in Europe/Germany?
>
> FWIW, I use the RYF-stamped, Atheros-based USB dongle:
>
>   https://www.fsf.org/news/ryf-certification-thinkpenguin-usb-with-atheros-chip
>
> It’s certified to work with GuixSD.  :-)  Firmware is available and
> built from source:
>
>   https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/#ath9k-htc-firmware
>
> Ludo’.

Would it be okay to put links on the website for not-prefered,
but GNU and FSF endorsed hardware, like having an FAQ to explain
what linux-libre implies and how to get working hardware (list
hnode and a number of sellers there), something like this?

--
ng

* Re: Recommendations for libre WiFi-USB adapters?
@ 2016-02-24 21:28     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-02-24 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nils Gillmann; +Cc: help-guix

Nils Gillmann <niasterisk@grrlz.net> skribis:

> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> Florian Paul Schmidt <mista.tapas@gmx.net> skribis:
>>
>>> this was discussed on IRC a while ago, but I couldn't find the
>>> reference to it anymore. What are some decent WiFi-USB adapters that
>>> are affordable and easy to get in Europe/Germany?
>>
>> FWIW, I use the RYF-stamped, Atheros-based USB dongle:
>>
>>   https://www.fsf.org/news/ryf-certification-thinkpenguin-usb-with-atheros-chip
>>
>> It’s certified to work with GuixSD.  :-)  Firmware is available and
>> built from source:
>>
>>   https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/#ath9k-htc-firmware
>>
>> Ludo’.
>>

> Would it be okay to put links on the website for not-prefered,
> but GNU and FSF endorsed hardware, like having an FAQ to explain
> what linux-libre implies and how to get working hardware (list
> hnode and a number of sellers there), something like this?

Maybe we could have a “Hardware Considerations” node close to “System
Installation” that would mention Wifi adapters in particular?  It could
be phrased in terms of supported kernel modules and firmware, with links
to h-node and such.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.

* Re: Recommendations for libre WiFi-USB adapters?
@ 2016-02-24 21:36       ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2016-02-24 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

By the way, should we maybe add the ath9k-htc-firmware package to the
installer image? It is used by one of the very popular (the only one?)
wifi dongles that do not need proprietary firmware. Or is it already there?
I keep mixing up the installer image and the system that it starts.
So maybe (also) add the package to the example configurations?

Andreas

* Re: Recommendations for libre WiFi-USB adapters?
@ 2016-02-27 17:37         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-02-27 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: help-guix, Nils Gillmann

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:

> By the way, should we maybe add the ath9k-htc-firmware package to the
> installer image?

It’s already there, it’s in ‘%base-firmware’.

Ludo’.

* Re: Recommendations for libre WiFi-USB adapters?
@ 2016-02-27 18:15           ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2016-02-27 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix, Nils Gillmann

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 06:37:26PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> > By the way, should we maybe add the ath9k-htc-firmware package to the
> > installer image?
> It’s already there, it’s in ‘%base-firmware’.

Okay, great! Then add it to gnu/system/examples/desktop.tmpl maybe?

Andreas

* Re: Recommendations for libre WiFi-USB adapters?
@ 2016-02-27 18:21             ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2016-02-27 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix, Nils Gillmann

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 07:15:51PM +0100, Andreas Enge wrote:
> Okay, great! Then add it to gnu/system/examples/desktop.tmpl maybe?

Or is it automatically present everywhere through gnu/system.scm?
(define-record-type* <operating-system> operating-system
  (firmware operating-system-firmware             ; list of packages
            (default %base-firmware))

Andreas

* Re: Recommendations for libre WiFi-USB adapters?
@ 2016-02-28 16:57             ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-02-28 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: help-guix, Nils Gillmann

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:

> On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 06:37:26PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> > By the way, should we maybe add the ath9k-htc-firmware package to the
>> > installer image?
>> It’s already there, it’s in ‘%base-firmware’.
>
> Okay, great! Then add it to gnu/system/examples/desktop.tmpl maybe?

There’s nothing to add: ‘%base-firmware’ is the default value of the
‘firmware’ field.

Ludo’.

* Re: Recommendations for libre WiFi-USB adapters?
@ 2016-03-15 14:58       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-03-15 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nils Gillmann; +Cc: help-guix

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> Nils Gillmann <niasterisk@grrlz.net> skribis:

[...]

>> Would it be okay to put links on the website for not-prefered,
>> but GNU and FSF endorsed hardware, like having an FAQ to explain
>> what linux-libre implies and how to get working hardware (list
>> hnode and a number of sellers there), something like this?
>
> Maybe we could have a “Hardware Considerations” node close to “System
> Installation” that would mention Wifi adapters in particular?  It could
> be phrased in terms of supported kernel modules and firmware, with links
> to h-node and such.

Done in commit e3009f6000aba83d69d000151157b0b921efae41.

Currently it only mentions Wifi devices but we could add other pieces of
hardware, for instance as motherboards vs. free BIOSes.  Feel free to
send patches!  :-)

Ludo’.

* Re: Recommendations for libre WiFi-USB adapters?
@ 2016-03-16  4:54 Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic
From: Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic @ 2016-03-16  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> Florian Paul Schmidt <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> this was discussed on IRC a while ago, but I couldn't find the
>> reference to it anymore. What are some decent WiFi-USB adapters that
>> are affordable and easy to get in Europe/Germany?
>
> FWIW, I use the RYF-stamped, Atheros-based USB dongle:
>
>   https://www.fsf.org/news/ryf-certification-thinkpenguin-usb-with-atheros-chip

Perhaps you are actually using the AR9271 mini wifi adapter sold by
Tehnoetic, an ethical tech shop in Europe (which sells worldwide):

FSF's RYF certification announcement:

https://www.fsf.org/news/tehnoetic-wireless-usb-adapter-now-fsf-certified-to-respect-your-freedom

Product page at tehnoetic.com:

https://tehnoetic.com/tehnoetic-wireless-adapter-gnu-linux-libre-tet-n150

Also, Tehnoetic donates 15% of sale profits* to GuixSD when customers
choose your distro from the list of free distros of GNU. A total of $13
USD was donated for January and February sales, but I am confident more
and more customers will choose GuixSD for the donation.

If it's possible, it would certainly be nice to acknowledge Tehnoetic's
small contribution to GuixSD in the donations page:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/donate/

I believe my customers would appreciate that too, because for now they
have to trust me when I say I donated ;-)

Nils Gillmann <niasterisk@grrlz.net> wrote:
> Would it be okay to put links on the website for not-prefered,
> but GNU and FSF endorsed hardware, like having an FAQ to explain
> what linux-libre implies and how to get working hardware (list
> hnode and a number of sellers there), something like this?

I also like this idea. FreedomBox project** at debian.org have inserted
links to the RYF adapters sold by Tehnoetic and ThinkPenguin in their FAQ:

https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/QuestionsAndAnswers#I.27m_wondering_what_wifi_adapter_to_get.2C_preferably_one_that_runs_with_free_firmware.2C_can_you_recommend_one.3F

> It’s certified to work with GuixSD.  :-)  Firmware is available and
> built from source:
>
>   https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/#ath9k-htc-firmware

Thank you for packaging the free firmware in GuixSD!

*)
Donations from February sales of Tehnoetic wifi adapters:
On March 09, Tehnoetic donated €16 EUR to Trisquel project.
On March 09, Tehnoetic donated $9 USD to GuixSD project.
On March 09, Tehnoetic donated $9 USD to Dragora project.

Donations from January sales of Tehnoetic wifi adapters:
On February 05, Tehnoetic donated €27 EUR to Trisquel project.
On February 05, Tehnoetic donated $4 USD to GuixSD project.

**)
FreedomBox includes nonfree software, despite the name (which refers to
freedom).

--
Tiberiu
Founder, https://tehnoetic.com

* Re: Recommendations for libre WiFi-USB adapters?
@ 2016-03-17  8:38 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-03-17  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic; +Cc: help-guix

Hi!

Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic <tiberiu@tehnoetic.com> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Florian Paul Schmidt <address@hidden> skribis:
>>
>>> this was discussed on IRC a while ago, but I couldn't find the
>>> reference to it anymore. What are some decent WiFi-USB adapters that
>>> are affordable and easy to get in Europe/Germany?
>>
>> FWIW, I use the RYF-stamped, Atheros-based USB dongle:
>>
>>   https://www.fsf.org/news/ryf-certification-thinkpenguin-usb-with-atheros-chip
>
> Perhaps you are actually using the AR9271 mini wifi adapter sold by
> Tehnoetic, an ethical tech shop in Europe (which sells worldwide):
>
> FSF's RYF certification announcement:
>
> https://www.fsf.org/news/tehnoetic-wireless-usb-adapter-now-fsf-certified-to-respect-your-freedom

Right, and I must say it works well for me.  :-)

Apologies for sending the wrong link above, though my intent was not to
advertise one specific RYF product.

> Also, Tehnoetic donates 15% of sale profits* to GuixSD when customers
> choose your distro from the list of free distros of GNU. A total of $13
> USD was donated for January and February sales, but I am confident more
> and more customers will choose GuixSD for the donation.
>
> If it's possible, it would certainly be nice to acknowledge Tehnoetic's
> small contribution to GuixSD in the donations page:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/donate/
>
> I believe my customers would appreciate that too, because for now they
> have to trust me when I say I donated ;-)

Woow, awesome!  I assume you are donating via the FSF-hosted page,
right?

> Nils Gillmann <niasterisk@grrlz.net> wrote:
>> Would it be okay to put links on the website for not-prefered,
>> but GNU and FSF endorsed hardware, like having an FAQ to explain
>> what linux-libre implies and how to get working hardware (list
>> hnode and a number of sellers there), something like this?
>
> I also like this idea.

For the record, I added a section in the manual that does not mention
any specific vendor, but instead links to https://fsf.org/ryf, which in
turn links to Tehnoetic and others:

  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=e3009f6000aba83d69d000151157b0b921efae41

Thank you!