all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Guix on a foreign distro (Mint) - List of packages is outdated and not updatable
@ 2019-04-23  7:36 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2019-04-23  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, MutoShack

Le 23 avril 2019 22:02:00 GMT+02:00, MutoShack <shack@muto.ca> a écrit :
>I've been using Guix for a while on my Mint 19.1 machine. When Nano 4.0
>came out as a Guix package I was excited, so I ran:
>'guix pull && guix package -u'
>on my machine. It pulled Nano 2.9.3 from mirror.hydra.gnu.org (I
>recently had Nano 3.4 installed, which means Guix downgraded my
>package)
>
>My laptop computer, running GuixSD, pulled Nano 4.0 (and other new
>packages) perfectly fine.
>
>Running
>'/path/to/guix-daemon --substitute-urls="https://ci.guix.info"'
>and pulling yields the same result.
>Deleting '~/.config' on both user & root, then letting 'guix pull'
>regenerate them also did nothing.
>
>I tried changing my generation and deleting old generations.
>I tried the good old "RTFM" and "STFW" methods (reading info and
>websearching), but I could not find an answer. Maybe I misunderstood
>the
>information I found.

Hi, this sounds like you're not using she right guix, like a guix installed in your profile. If that's the case, every time you "upgrade", you actually downgrade guix itself and the packages it knoos about.

Make sure that ~/.config/guix/current/bin tomes first in your $PATH and run "hash guix" to make sure your shell refers to the right guix.

* Re: Guix on a foreign distro (Mint) - List of packages is outdated and not updatable
@ 2019-04-23 19:26   ` melon
From: melon @ 2019-04-23 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: help-guix

Hi, Julien,

Thank you for the help! This solved the problem. Just in case anyone with the same issue is
reading this mail archive in the future, I'll write my course of action
here:

'echo $PATH'
Gave me a very messy output. Apparently things like '.guix-profile/bin',
'.guix-profile/sbin' and '/usr/bin' were all shown multiple times. I
changed it to the following (by editing ~/.bashrc):

export
PATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/bin:$HOME/.guix-profile/sbin:$HOME/.config/guix/current/bin:$HOME/.bin/bin:/usr/bin:/bin"

After restarting BASH and running 'guix pull', all my packages are
once again up to date. Thank you again!

* Guix on a foreign distro (Mint) - List of packages is outdated and not updatable
@ 2019-04-23 20:02 MutoShack
From: MutoShack @ 2019-04-23 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

@ 2019-05-06  2:57     ` Chris Marusich