all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* guix offload, (test returned #<unspecified>)
@ 2017-02-19 20:32 Myles English
From: Myles English @ 2017-02-19 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

Two hosts, setup the same as far as I can see, behave differently when
trying to offload builds, any idea how I can get more information on
what the #<unspecified> might indicate?  Looking at
guix/scripts/offload.scm:551 suggests the result is not a string.

$ guix offload test
guix offload: testing 2 build machines defined in '/etc/guix/machines.scm'...
guix offload: 'host1.mydomain.co.uk' is running guile (GNU Guile) 2.0.13
guix offload: 'host2.mydomain.co.uk' is running guile (GNU Guile) 2.0.13
guix offload: Guix is usable on 'host1.mydomain.co.uk' (test returned "/gnu/store/883yjkl46dxw9mzykykmbs0yzwyxm17z-test")
guix offload: error: failed to use Guix module on 'host2.mydomain.co.uk'
(test returned #<unspecified>)

/etc/guix/machines.scm:

(list
 (build-machine
  (name "host1.mydomain.co.uk")
  (system "x86_64-linux")
  (host-key "ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3longkeyhere/wm root@host1")
  (user "myles")
  (private-key
   (string-append (getenv "HOME") "/.ssh/id_rsa")))
  (build-machine
  (name "host2.mydomain.co.uk")
  (system "x86_64-linux")
  (host-key "ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3notherlongkeyhere root@host2")
  (user "myles")
  (private-key
   (string-append (getenv "HOME") "/.ssh/id_rsa"))))

When trying this:

$ ssh host1.mydomain.co.uk guile -c "'(use-modules (guix config))'"
$ ssh host1.mydomain.co.uk guile -c "'(use-modules (guix config))'"

both succeed, i.e. return nothing.

Thanks,
Myles

* Re: guix offload, (test returned #<unspecified>)
@ 2017-03-06 10:52 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-03-06 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Myles English; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Myles,

Myles English <mylesenglish@gmail.com> skribis:

> Two hosts, setup the same as far as I can see, behave differently when
> trying to offload builds, any idea how I can get more information on
> what the #<unspecified> might indicate?  Looking at
> guix/scripts/offload.scm:551 suggests the result is not a string.
>
> $ guix offload test
> guix offload: testing 2 build machines defined in '/etc/guix/machines.scm'...
> guix offload: 'host1.mydomain.co.uk' is running guile (GNU Guile) 2.0.13
> guix offload: 'host2.mydomain.co.uk' is running guile (GNU Guile) 2.0.13
> guix offload: Guix is usable on 'host1.mydomain.co.uk' (test returned "/gnu/store/883yjkl46dxw9mzykykmbs0yzwyxm17z-test")
> guix offload: error: failed to use Guix module on 'host2.mydomain.co.uk'
> (test returned #<unspecified>)

What you see here most likely means that host2 threw an exception while
executing this code:

  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/scripts/offload.scm#n543

The reason could be:

  1. That the (guix …) modules could not be found in the search path
     (your tests suggest this is not the case);

  2. That an exception was thrown, for instance because the ‘with-store’
     form failed to connect to the daemon on that machine (is the daemon
     running on that machine? Is it listening on
     /var/guix/daemon-socket/socket and not some other place?).

We should definitely improve that and provide details about the
exception, at least.

HTH!

Ludo’.

* Re: guix offload, (test returned #<unspecified>)
@ 2017-03-06 23:23   ` Myles English
From: Myles English @ 2017-03-06 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Ludo',

on [2017-03-06] at 10:52 Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Myles English <mylesenglish@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> Two hosts, setup the same as far as I can see, behave differently when
>> trying to offload builds, any idea how I can get more information on
>> what the #<unspecified> might indicate?  Looking at
>> guix/scripts/offload.scm:551 suggests the result is not a string.
>>
>> $ guix offload test
>> guix offload: testing 2 build machines defined in '/etc/guix/machines.scm'...
>> guix offload: 'host1.mydomain.co.uk' is running guile (GNU Guile) 2.0.13
>> guix offload: 'host2.mydomain.co.uk' is running guile (GNU Guile) 2.0.13
>> guix offload: Guix is usable on 'host1.mydomain.co.uk' (test returned "/gnu/store/883yjkl46dxw9mzykykmbs0yzwyxm17z-test")
>> guix offload: error: failed to use Guix module on 'host2.mydomain.co.uk'
>> (test returned #<unspecified>)
>
> What you see here most likely means that host2 threw an exception while
> executing this code:
>
>   http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/scripts/offload.scm#n543
>
> The reason could be:
>
>   1. That the (guix …) modules could not be found in the search path
>      (your tests suggest this is not the case);
>
>   2. That an exception was thrown, for instance because the ‘with-store’
>      form failed to connect to the daemon on that machine (is the daemon
>      running on that machine? Is it listening on
>      /var/guix/daemon-socket/socket and not some other place?).

Yes, that was probably the problem.  I have since updated the host
systems, rebooted, restarted the daemons and now it works, thanks.

> We should definitely improve that and provide details about the
> exception, at least.

Yes, I agree, because 'guix offload test' should provide useful details
when it fails and not just when it succeeds.

Myles