all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to add spell checking dictionaries to Icecat
@ 2017-08-29 23:03 Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2017-08-29 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi!

I asked this question on the freenode #icecat channel yesterday, but
didn't get a response, so I'm forwarding it here.

Is there a way to install dictionaries for IceCat? When I right-click in
a text box and choose 'Add Dictionaries', it brings me here:
http://dictionaries.mozdev.org/. If I then go to the installation page
and try to install the French (France) dictionary, I get: The add-on
downloaded from this site could not be installed because it appears to
be corrupt.

IIUC, the spell checker used by Icecat is Hunspell. We don't seem to
have any hunspell dictionary packaged in Guix. Has anyone got a hold of
this?

Maxim

* Re: How to add spell checking dictionaries to Icecat
@ 2017-09-03 20:17 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-09-03 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Maxim,

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> skribis:

> I asked this question on the freenode #icecat channel yesterday, but
> didn't get a response, so I'm forwarding it here.
>
> Is there a way to install dictionaries for IceCat? When I right-click in
> a text box and choose 'Add Dictionaries', it brings me here:
> http://dictionaries.mozdev.org/. If I then go to the installation page
> and try to install the French (France) dictionary, I get: The add-on
> downloaded from this site could not be installed because it appears to
> be corrupt.
>
> IIUC, the spell checker used by Icecat is Hunspell. We don't seem to
> have any hunspell dictionary packaged in Guix. Has anyone got a hold of
> this?

That’s a very good question.  I’ve noticed before that that
spell-checking in IceCat didn’t work and that’s a serious problem from a
UX viewpoint.

Looking at Hunspell’s home page, it looks like we should build
dictionary packages from what’s at
<https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/dictionaries/tree/>, no?

Ludo’.

* Re: How to add spell checking dictionaries to Icecat
@ 2017-09-03 20:50   ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2017-09-03 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

Ludovic Courtès transcribed 1.1K bytes:
> Hi Maxim,
>
> Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> skribis:
>
> > I asked this question on the freenode #icecat channel yesterday, but
> > didn't get a response, so I'm forwarding it here.
> >
> > Is there a way to install dictionaries for IceCat? When I right-click in
> > a text box and choose 'Add Dictionaries', it brings me here:
> > http://dictionaries.mozdev.org/. If I then go to the installation page
> > and try to install the French (France) dictionary, I get: The add-on
> > downloaded from this site could not be installed because it appears to
> > be corrupt.
> >
> > IIUC, the spell checker used by Icecat is Hunspell. We don't seem to
> > have any hunspell dictionary packaged in Guix. Has anyone got a hold of
> > this?
>
> That’s a very good question.  I’ve noticed before that that
> spell-checking in IceCat didn’t work and that’s a serious problem from a
> UX viewpoint.
>
> Looking at Hunspell’s home page, it looks like we should build
> dictionary packages from what’s at
> <https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/dictionaries/tree/>, no?
>
> Ludo’.

From what I remember with my more recent chats with Jookia, we
are also supposed to push for "ASPELL_DICTIONARY_PATH" and similar
one for HUNSPELL or something like that in applications.

The default is to just bundle/copy in as far as I remember it.

I can ask Jookia again how we as Nix and Guix are supposed to proceed
from what Jookia learned. There were some relevant Nix bugtickets if
you want to look into that.

On a related note: do we not need the language packs of Icecat?
So far I have almost every system in english, but I was wondering
this since I know mozilla and fork projects around them work
with language packs for the software builds.
--
ng0
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How to add spell checking dictionaries to Icecat
@ 2017-09-04  9:45     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-09-04  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: help-guix

Hey ng0,

ng0 <ng0@infotropique.org> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès transcribed 1.1K bytes:
>> Hi Maxim,
>>
>> Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> skribis:
>>
>> > I asked this question on the freenode #icecat channel yesterday, but
>> > didn't get a response, so I'm forwarding it here.
>> >
>> > Is there a way to install dictionaries for IceCat? When I right-click in
>> > a text box and choose 'Add Dictionaries', it brings me here:
>> > http://dictionaries.mozdev.org/. If I then go to the installation page
>> > and try to install the French (France) dictionary, I get: The add-on
>> > downloaded from this site could not be installed because it appears to
>> > be corrupt.
>> >
>> > IIUC, the spell checker used by Icecat is Hunspell. We don't seem to
>> > have any hunspell dictionary packaged in Guix. Has anyone got a hold of
>> > this?
>>
>> That’s a very good question.  I’ve noticed before that that
>> spell-checking in IceCat didn’t work and that’s a serious problem from a
>> UX viewpoint.
>>
>> Looking at Hunspell’s home page, it looks like we should build
>> dictionary packages from what’s at
>> <https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/dictionaries/tree/>, no?
>>
>> Ludo’.
>
> From what I remember with my more recent chats with Jookia, we
> are also supposed to push for "ASPELL_DICTIONARY_PATH" and similar
> one for HUNSPELL or something like that in applications.

Aspell is “under control” so to speak, but Hunspell I have no idea.

> The default is to just bundle/copy in as far as I remember it.
>
> I can ask Jookia again how we as Nix and Guix are supposed to proceed
> from what Jookia learned. There were some relevant Nix bugtickets if
> you want to look into that.

Nixpkgs gets its dictionaries from <http://wordlist.sf.net>,
<http://www.dicollecte.org>, and others sources:

  https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/development/libraries/hunspell/dictionaries.nix

We should just follow their lead.

> On a related note: do we not need the language packs of Icecat?
> So far I have almost every system in english, but I was wondering
> this since I know mozilla and fork projects around them work
> with language packs for the software builds.

Good question, I don’t know.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: How to add spell checking dictionaries to Icecat
@ 2017-09-16 21:33       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-09-16 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> Nixpkgs gets its dictionaries from <http://wordlist.sf.net>,
> <http://www.dicollecte.org>, and others sources:
>
>   https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/development/libraries/hunspell/dictionaries.nix

I’ve added French dictionaries for Hunspell roughly following Nixpkgs,
as well as a search path definition, and that seems to work:

$ ./pre-inst-env guix environment --ad-hoc hunspell hunspell-dict-fr
substitute: updating list of substitutes from 'https://bayfront.guixsd.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating list of substitutes from 'https://berlin.guixsd.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating list of substitutes from 'https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org'... 100.0%
The following derivations will be built:
   /gnu/store/aiaxqy3mp22zj8ahcxz07i0sh7vb1f63-profile.drv
   /gnu/store/w1w5abixsy6wnmxy3jy7h1pbklh8s2dr-fonts-dir.drv
   /gnu/store/qnhiqv0x07lrzxwbiia2gln0w0yf5cwb-ca-certificate-bundle.drv
   /gnu/store/c4cg870cgm84n1ywlr9rhsgjm250x0v6-info-dir.drv
   /gnu/store/z1jq048mpyjiqjm32glpkjkjr38kaqns-manual-database.drv
Creating manual page database for 1 packages... done in 0.040 s
[env]$ env|grep DIC
ASPELL_DICT_DIR=/home/ludo/.guix-profile/lib/aspell
DICPATH=/gnu/store/l54jaa80ghf5gn4p0l0vihbfhn4rfmqr-profile/share/hunspell
[env]$ echo "bonjor" | hunspell -d fr-classique
Hunspell 1.6.1
& bonjor 1 0: bonjour

See:

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=4db733e77d81cc7dee1a2939446290ba29a6a66e
  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=31daf8931b20c5e58d5d0941bbad09c820bd3285

Ludo’.

* Re: How to add spell checking dictionaries to Icecat
@ 2017-09-18 13:56         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-09-18 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: help-guix

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> See:
>
>   https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=4db733e77d81cc7dee1a2939446290ba29a6a66e
>   https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=31daf8931b20c5e58d5d0941bbad09c820bd3285

It does work with IceCat, provided ‘DICPATH’ is properly set.

To avoid problems in this area, I’ve modified /etc/profile on GuixSD so
that it Just Works:

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=c08da2ee371e7667dbed0eeb84f43e489b1be5f5

Ludo’.

* Re: How to add spell checking dictionaries to Icecat
@ 2017-09-19 23:38           ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2017-09-19 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:
>
>> See:
>>
>>   https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=4db733e77d81cc7dee1a2939446290ba29a6a66e
>>   https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=31daf8931b20c5e58d5d0941bbad09c820bd3285
>
> It does work with IceCat, provided ‘DICPATH’ is properly set.
>
> To avoid problems in this area, I’ve modified /etc/profile on GuixSD so
> that it Just Works:
>
>   https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=c08da2ee371e7667dbed0eeb84f43e489b1be5f5
>
> Ludo’.

Hi Ludo,

Sorry for the late reply, I just tried this and it works! One less
usability limitation! :)

Thank you,

Maxim