all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* UEFI testing
@ 2018-02-07  9:58 Danny Milosavljevic
From: Danny Milosavljevic @ 2018-02-07  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

at FOSDEM we've been talking about testing UEFI booting in Guix system tests.

The command to use for that is:

qemu-system-x86_64 -bios $(guix build ovmf)/share/firmware/ovmf_x64.bin -m 1G -enable-kvm -hda ZZ -serial stdio

The place where system tests are is gnu/tests/install.scm - it's using
marionette-operating-system to prepare system tests.

So qemu would have to do a full boot using "-bios".

There's already an extlinux test there, so it should be easy to use that as
a template (copy %test-installed-extlinux-os to %test-installed-efi-os and
adapt it; also copy the %minimal-extlinux-os definition).

run-install could gain an option for the bios - which would then be passed
by %test-installed-efi-os .

I don't have UEFI or a use for it, so this mail is just a heads-up.

* Re: UEFI testing
@ 2018-02-07 11:09 ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-02-07 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Milosavljevic; +Cc: Guix-devel

> Hi,
>
> at FOSDEM we've been talking about testing UEFI booting in Guix system
> tests.
>
> The command to use for that is:
>
> qemu-system-x86_64 -bios $(guix build ovmf)/share/firmware/ovmf_x64.bin
> -m 1G -enable-kvm -hda ZZ -serial stdio
>
> The place where system tests are is gnu/tests/install.scm - it's using
> marionette-operating-system to prepare system tests.
>
> So qemu would have to do a full boot using "-bios".
>
> There's already an extlinux test there, so it should be easy to use that as
> a template (copy %test-installed-extlinux-os to %test-installed-efi-os and
> adapt it; also copy the %minimal-extlinux-os definition).
>
> run-install could gain an option for the bios - which would then be passed
> by %test-installed-efi-os .
>
> I don't have UEFI or a use for it, so this mail is just a heads-up.
>
> Thanks for looking into this, I guess I will pick it up form here.
I've actually dealt with ovmf already in other enviroments.
My problem here, is that the ovmf image should be writeable by the vm
instance, so that
the bootloader nvram variables can be stored. It should be possible to fall
back to the uefi backup path though.

* Re: UEFI testing
@ 2018-02-08 13:40 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-02-08 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Milosavljevic; +Cc: guix-devel

Danny Milosavljevic <dannym@scratchpost.org> skribis:

> at FOSDEM we've been talking about testing UEFI booting in Guix system tests.

Speaking of which, there was a talk on the topic of QEMU/UEFI:

  https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/vai_qemu_in_uefi/

Ludo’.