all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* guix download and GitHub
@ 2018-08-21 19:09 HiPhish
From: HiPhish @ 2018-08-21 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix developers,

I wanted to try to bring the Neovim package up to date, but I am having
trouble using `guix download`:

    $ guix download  https://github.com/neovim/neovim/archive/v0.3.0.tar.gz

    Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.cmWnGA
    From https://github.com/neovim/neovim/archive/v0.3.0.tar.gz...
    X.509 certificate of 'github.com' could not be verified:
      signer-not-found
      invalid

    failed to download "/tmp/guix-file.cmWnGA" from "https://github.com/
neovim/neovim/archive/v0.3.0.tar.gz"
    guix download: error: https://github.com/neovim/neovim/archive/
v0.3.0.tar.gz: download failed

This is probably something on my end that needs to be set up, but I don't know
what. I barely know anything about certification. If someone can point me in
the right direction I would be grateful.

* Re: guix download and GitHub
@ 2018-08-21 22:02 ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2018-08-21 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: HiPhish, guix-devel

Hello,

Looking at the manual entry for guix download [0], we can see:

    guix download verifies HTTPS server certificates by loading
    the certificates of X.509 authorities from the directory
    pointed to by the SSL_CERT_DIR environment variable (see
    X.509 Certificates), unless --no-check-certificate is used.

[0]: https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-download.html

You can either use your operating system's certs directory
(usually /etc/ssl/certs), or install the nss-certs guix package,
as shown on the man page for X.509 Certificates [1] and export
the related environment variables to tell programs to use it:

    $ guix package -i nss-certs
    $ export SSL_CERT_DIR="$HOME/.guix-profile/etc/ssl/certs"
    $ export SSL_CERT_FILE="$HOME/.guix-profile/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt"
    $ export GIT_SSL_CAINFO="$SSL_CERT_FILE"

[1]: https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/X_002e509-Certificates.html

Hope that helps.

  -amin

* Re: guix download and GitHub