all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Guix package in Nix
@ 2016-03-22 22:18 Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-03-22 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

The Guix package in Nix [0] is still on version 0.3 and it is failing to
build from source.

Does anybody want to take it over?

From #guix:
<domenkozar> anyone that wants to maintain guix in nixpkgs?
<lfam> domenkozar: I see the Nix package is very out of date. I do see
that it shares the Nix store.
<domenkozar> lfam: yeah and it's failing to compile

[0]
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/tools/package-management/guix/default.nix

* Re: Guix package in Nix
@ 2016-03-23  8:54 ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2016-03-23  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue 22 Mar 2016 23:18, Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> The Guix package in Nix [0] is still on version 0.3 and it is failing to
> build from source.
>
> Does anybody want to take it over?
>
> From #guix:
> <domenkozar> anyone that wants to maintain guix in nixpkgs?
> <lfam> domenkozar: I see the Nix package is very out of date. I do see
> that it shares the Nix store.
> <domenkozar> lfam: yeah and it's failing to compile

Surely it should just be removed.  The binary install is easy enough for
someone already running Nix.

Andy, writing on a NixOS system which also runs Guix

* Re: Guix package in Nix
@ 2016-03-23 12:36   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-03-23 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Wingo; +Cc: guix-devel

Andy Wingo <wingo@igalia.com> skribis:

> On Tue 22 Mar 2016 23:18, Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:
>
>> The Guix package in Nix [0] is still on version 0.3 and it is failing to
>> build from source.
>>
>> Does anybody want to take it over?
>>
>> From #guix:
>> <domenkozar> anyone that wants to maintain guix in nixpkgs?
>> <lfam> domenkozar: I see the Nix package is very out of date. I do see
>> that it shares the Nix store.
>> <domenkozar> lfam: yeah and it's failing to compile
>
> Surely it should just be removed.  The binary install is easy enough for
> someone already running Nix.

+1  That it’s this outdated suggests it’s useless.  ;-)

I still have commit access to Nixpkgs so I’ve removed it.

Thanks,
Ludo’.