all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#33124: Cuirass: register GC roots for evaluations under /var/guix/gcroots
@ 2018-10-23  9:27 Clément Lassieur
From: Clément Lassieur @ 2018-10-23  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 33124

I think the goal here is to make sure that the builds that resulted from
of 1) important evaluations (releases) and 2) recent evaluations aren't
garbage collected.

<sneek> snape, civodul says: i think Cuirass should register GC roots for its
	evaluations under /var/guix/gcroots
<snape> [...] How many such evaluations should be registered?  If all
	are registered, we'll run out of space won't we?  So would it be
	like the last 15 or something?
<civodul> snape: i think we'd register all of them and use (guix cache) to
	  automatically wipe old ones periodically  [09:53]
<civodul> snape: when there's a release we could manually stash important
	  evaluations away so they won't be deleted
<civodul> so i'd just create one subdir for each eval say in
	  /var/guix/profiles/USER/cuirass/evaluations  [09:54]
<civodul> and that'd contain a bunch of symlinks to both the .drv and the
	  outputs

Clément

* bug#33124: Cuirass: register GC roots for evaluations under /var/guix/gcroots
@ 2018-11-07 14:29 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-11-07 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Lassieur; +Cc: 33124-done

Hi Clément,

Clément Lassieur <clement@lassieur.org> skribis:

> I think the goal here is to make sure that the builds that resulted from
> of 1) important evaluations (releases) and 2) recent evaluations aren't
> garbage collected.
>
> <sneek> snape, civodul says: i think Cuirass should register GC roots for its
> 	evaluations under /var/guix/gcroots
> <snape> [...] How many such evaluations should be registered?  If all
> 	are registered, we'll run out of space won't we?  So would it be
> 	like the last 15 or something?
> <civodul> snape: i think we'd register all of them and use (guix cache) to
> 	  automatically wipe old ones periodically  [09:53]
> <civodul> snape: when there's a release we could manually stash important
> 	  evaluations away so they won't be deleted
> <civodul> so i'd just create one subdir for each eval say in
> 	  /var/guix/profiles/USER/cuirass/evaluations  [09:54]
> <civodul> and that'd contain a bunch of symlinks to both the .drv and the
> 	  outputs

I went ahead and implemented a simple version of this in commit
d4623d50edac4a6e81f5986a91c2818f5fc4965d.

Let me know what you think!

Ludo’.

* bug#33124: Cuirass: register GC roots for evaluations under /var/guix/gcroots
@ 2018-11-07 19:24   ` Clément Lassieur
From: Clément Lassieur @ 2018-11-07 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: 33124-done

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Clément,
>
> Clément Lassieur <clement@lassieur.org> skribis:
>
>> I think the goal here is to make sure that the builds that resulted from
>> of 1) important evaluations (releases) and 2) recent evaluations aren't
>> garbage collected.
>>
>> <sneek> snape, civodul says: i think Cuirass should register GC roots for its
>> 	evaluations under /var/guix/gcroots
>> <snape> [...] How many such evaluations should be registered?  If all
>> 	are registered, we'll run out of space won't we?  So would it be
>> 	like the last 15 or something?
>> <civodul> snape: i think we'd register all of them and use (guix cache) to
>> 	  automatically wipe old ones periodically  [09:53]
>> <civodul> snape: when there's a release we could manually stash important
>> 	  evaluations away so they won't be deleted
>> <civodul> so i'd just create one subdir for each eval say in
>> 	  /var/guix/profiles/USER/cuirass/evaluations  [09:54]
>> <civodul> and that'd contain a bunch of symlinks to both the .drv and the
>> 	  outputs
>
> I went ahead and implemented a simple version of this in commit
> d4623d50edac4a6e81f5986a91c2818f5fc4965d.
>
> Let me know what you think!

This is great.  Thank you very much!