all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* native-search-path and guix profile
@ 2023-08-29 15:36 Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2023-08-29 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Good afternoon.

I'm curious about how exactly native-search-path work.

I packaged vagrant, which needs to find plugins, therefore I defined a
native-search-path, see <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/65131#23-lineno450>.

This works fine when using "guix shell vagrant vagrant-my-plugin": The
env variable is set and vagrant finds the plugin. Now when installing
vagrant and the plugin into my profile, this env variable is not set and
vagrant fails to find the plugins installed. Also neither GUIX_PROFILE
nor GUIX_ENFIRONMENT are set, thus using these as a base does not work
either.

What is the indented way for making programs find their plugins?

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: native-search-path and guix profile
@ 2023-09-05  1:38 ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2023-09-05  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Hartmut,

Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> writes:

> Good afternoon.
>
> I'm curious about how exactly native-search-path work.
>
> I packaged vagrant, which needs to find plugins, therefore I defined a
> native-search-path, see
> <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/65131#23-lineno450>.
>
> This works fine when using "guix shell vagrant vagrant-my-plugin": The
> env variable is set and vagrant finds the plugin. Now when installing
> vagrant and the plugin into my profile, this env variable is not set
> and vagrant fails to find the plugins installed. Also neither
> GUIX_PROFILE nor GUIX_ENFIRONMENT are set, thus using these as a base
> does not work either.

If it works in a guix shell profile, it should work the same in your
user profile, so I'm not sure where's the issue.

Maxim