all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to list all the discoverable Guix systems in my network?
@ 2024-01-18  2:02 Rodrigo Morales
From: Rodrigo Morales @ 2024-01-18  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I have a system (A) running Guix SD whose /gnu/store I use as a
repository for applications that I commonly install in other Guix SD
systems.

In system (A), I usually use "guix publish" to make it visible to other
systems. Whenever I install Guix SD in other system (B), I need system
(A) to be discoverable, I usually do this by running the following
commands in system (A)

#+BEGIN_SRC sh
sudo guix publish -u rdrg -a -C 0
sudo cp /etc/guix/signing-key.pub /tmp/system-a.pub
rsync /tmp/system-a.pub "$user@$host:/tmp"
#+END_SRC

and the following commands in system (B)

#+BEGIN_SRC sh
sudo guix archive --authorize < /tmp/system-a.pub
sudo herd discover guix-daemon on
#+END_SRC

Sometimes system (A) needs is turned off, so it is not discverable by
system (B). Before running a command in system (B), I want to know
whether system (A) is available or not.

My question is: In system (B), how to list all Guix systems that are
publishing and would be used for downloading packages when needed?

* Re: How to list all the discoverable Guix systems in my network?
@ 2024-01-18  3:27 ` Felix Lechner via
From: Felix Lechner via @ 2024-01-18  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodrigo Morales, help-guix

Hi Rodrigo,

On Wed, Jan 17 2024, Rodrigo Morales wrote:

> I want to know whether system (A) is available

I might try the exit status from 'ping' (although I would use a Guile
script instead of shell).

Kind regards
Felix

[1] https://stackoverflow.com/a/921441

* Re: How to list all the discoverable Guix systems in my network?
@ 2024-01-18  5:16 ` Felix Lechner via
From: Felix Lechner via @ 2024-01-18  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodrigo Morales, help-guix

Hi Rodrigo,

On Wed, Jan 17 2024, Rodrigo Morales wrote:

> how to list all Guix systems that are publishing

Sorry, you may want 'avahi-browse'.

Kind regards'
Felix