all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#70211: emacs-eglot fails after upgrade to emacs-29.3
@ 2024-04-05  7:25 Lilly via Bug reports for GNU Guix
From: Lilly via Bug reports for GNU Guix @ 2024-04-05  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 70211

after upgrading to emacs 29.3 eglot fails to start with an error message like

Invalid slot name: "#<eglot-lsp-server eglot-lsp-server-cacbec>", :events-buffer-config

This also happens if I start emacs with 'emacs -q' and activate just eglot manually.

I'm using not the build-in eglot package, but emacs-eglot@1.17. This package has a dependency to emacs-jsonrpc@1.0.23
Upgrading jsonrpc to version 1.0.25 solved the issue for me.

Yours,
Lilly

* bug#70211: emacs-eglot fails after upgrade to emacs-29.3
@ 2024-04-10 14:49 ` hiecaq
From: hiecaq @ 2024-04-10 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 70211; +Cc: Lilly

Lilly via Bug reports for GNU Guix <bug-guix@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> after upgrading to emacs 29.3 eglot fails to start with an error
> message like
>
> Invalid slot name: "#<eglot-lsp-server
> eglot-lsp-server-cacbec>", :events-buffer-config
>
> This also happens if I start emacs with 'emacs -q' and activate
> just eglot manually.
>
> I'm using not the build-in eglot package, but emacs-eglot@1.17.
> This package has a dependency to emacs-jsonrpc@1.0.23
> Upgrading jsonrpc to version 1.0.25 solved the issue for me.
>
> Yours,
> Lilly

I also encountered this on my Guix configuration (on a foreign
distro). I tried to investigate into it, but I got confused.

The error message I got is:
> slot-missing: Invalid slot name: "#<eglot-lsp-server
> eglot-lsp-server-170231c>", :events-buffer-config

However, events-buffer-config (it is defined in
jsonrpc-connection, and eglot-lsp-server inherits that if I read
correctly) is introduced in jsonrpc.el at
e0b9944b69ff72923c29756fcfcea9528a3f5069, which is included in
1.0.23.

* bug#70211: emacs-eglot fails after upgrade to emacs-29.3
@ 2024-04-13 10:58   ` hiecaq
From: hiecaq @ 2024-04-13 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 70211; +Cc: Lilly

 Lilly via Bug reports for GNU Guix <bug-guix@gnu.org> writes:

> Upgrading jsonrpc to version 1.0.25 solved the issue for me.

Hi, the above solution does not work for me so I tried to dig into
the problem further, and I think I've moved closer to the real
cause of this problem.

TLDR:

This issue is more close related to jsonrpc instead of eglot, and
putting
> (setq load-no-native t)
In early-init.el fixes the problem for me.

The first thing I noticed is that if we look up
"jsonrpc-connection", Help page tells us that it is a
native-compiled function, which is the hint to my following
attempts because in my configurations  packages are only
byte-complied and not native-compiled, while built-ins are
native-compiled. This can be quickly checked if you open the
jsonrpc.elc file. (and I believe that it is the same case for the
upstream Guix)

Also, if you visit the "jsonrpc-connection"'s class Help page, it
shows that it does not have a slot named
"events-buffer-config". Instead it has
"events-buffer-scrollback-size", which reflects the corresponding
file in 29.3 built-in.

So my guess is that Emacs somehow prefers the native-compiled
version (from the built-in) over the byte-compiled version (from
the package), even if the latter is newer. I do have "(setq
load-prefer-newer t)" in my early-init.el, but it still works that
way. I'm not sure why the package loading works as expected before
recent updates in Guix though.