all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Merging core-updates
@ 2018-12-01 18:20 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-12-01 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix!

‘core-updates’ seems to be in a rather good shape.  Unfortunately, the
web UI and APIs of hydra.gnu.org and berlin.guixsd.org make it difficult
to have a clear view of the situation.

“make assert-binaries-available” passes for all architectures, meaning
we have Emacs/X11 among other things available as substitutes.

The ‘bootstrap-tarballs’ package is available on all platforms including
aarch64.

On x86_64, LibreOffice, IceCat, etc. are available as substitutes; ‘guix
weather’ reports only 50% of coverage on berlin and 80% on
mirror.hydra.gnu.org (we’ll have to elucidate the bad number on berlin.)
I’m using ‘core-updates’ for both my system and my user profile.

Overall I’m in favor of merging.

What do people think?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Merging core-updates
@ 2018-12-01 19:59 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-12-01 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

> ‘core-updates’ seems to be in a rather good shape. […]
> On x86_64, LibreOffice, IceCat, etc. are available as substitutes; ‘guix
> weather’ reports only 50% of coverage on berlin and 80% on
> mirror.hydra.gnu.org (we’ll have to elucidate the bad number on berlin.)
> I’m using ‘core-updates’ for both my system and my user profile.
>
> Overall I’m in favor of merging.

I agree.

I’ve been using core-updates on my laptop (both system and user profile)
for about a week now without any problems.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Merging core-updates
@ 2018-12-01 20:52   ` Jan Nieuwenhuizen
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen @ 2018-12-01 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Ricardo Wurmus writes:

>> Overall I’m in favor of merging.
>
> I agree.
>
> I’ve been using core-updates on my laptop (both system and user profile)
> for about a week now without any problems.

Me too.

janneke

* Re: Merging core-updates
@ 2018-12-02 13:17 ` Danny Milosavljevic
From: Danny Milosavljevic @ 2018-12-02 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Ludo,

On Sat, 01 Dec 2018 19:20:26 +0100
ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:

> On x86_64, LibreOffice, IceCat, etc. are available as substitutes; ‘guix
> weather’ reports only 50% of coverage on berlin and 80% on
> mirror.hydra.gnu.org (we’ll have to elucidate the bad number on berlin.)
> I’m using ‘core-updates’ for both my system and my user profile.
>
> Overall I’m in favor of merging.

Me too.

I've finally disabled the flaky Rust test in core-updates so it shouldn't
nondeterministically break the build anymore.  Unfortunately that means
it will cause some senseless rebuilds - among those icecat :(

So let's wait for those builds and then merge.

* Re: Merging core-updates
@ 2018-12-02 13:55   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-12-02 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Milosavljevic; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Danny,

Danny Milosavljevic <dannym@scratchpost.org> skribis:

> On Sat, 01 Dec 2018 19:20:26 +0100
> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:
>
>> On x86_64, LibreOffice, IceCat, etc. are available as substitutes; ‘guix
>> weather’ reports only 50% of coverage on berlin and 80% on
>> mirror.hydra.gnu.org (we’ll have to elucidate the bad number on berlin.)
>> I’m using ‘core-updates’ for both my system and my user profile.
>>
>> Overall I’m in favor of merging.
>
> Me too.
>
> I've finally disabled the flaky Rust test in core-updates so it shouldn't
> nondeterministically break the build anymore.  Unfortunately that means
> it will cause some senseless rebuilds - among those icecat :(

Sounds good.  Thanks for taking care of this!

> So let's wait for those builds and then merge.

OK, hopefully that’ll be done by the end of the day.

This in turn means we could release 0.16.0 Wednesday or so (I’ll be at
the R-B Summit the next week anyway so it’d be good to get it done by
then!).

Ludo’.

* Re: Merging core-updates
@ 2018-12-03  8:18   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-12-03  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Milosavljevic; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello Guix!

‘core-updates’ is now merged!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the tedious testing and
stabilization process.  It certainly took us way too long but now we’re
happy to get all the new stuff: glibc 2.28, guile 2.2.4 by default, and
lots of things we worked on so long ago that we don’t even remember.
:-)

Now the question is whether we can merge ‘wip-gnome-upgrades’ before the
release, which I’d like to push out later this week, or whether it
should wait a few more days.

Ludo’.

* Re: Merging core-updates
@ 2018-12-03 16:28     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-12-03 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Ludo,

> ‘core-updates’ is now merged!

Yay!

> Now the question is whether we can merge ‘wip-gnome-upgrades’ before the
> release, which I’d like to push out later this week, or whether it
> should wait a few more days.

Unfortunately, gnome-shell segfaults on wip-gnome-upgrades.  I’ve
decided to upgrade to the next version of GNOME (3.30 instead of 3.28)
and rather spend time on making that version work.

This will take some time (and cause quite a few rebuilds), so it should
not block the upcoming release.

--
Ricardo