all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Interested in working on Guix for Google Summer of Code
@ 2019-03-27  5:04 Daniel Jiang
From: Daniel Jiang @ 2019-03-27  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I'm a student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, a huge
emacs user, and have been curious about Guix/GuixSD for a while now. I
found it as a possible project on GSoC and thought it'd be interesting to
help work on if possible. The organization page on GSoC said to contact the
mentors and was directed to the mailing list from #guix@freenode. I also
recognize one of the mentors who wrote bindings to a game programming
library for Guile because I was writing some for Common Lisp at the time,
so small world lol. (I dunno if you're reading this or know I exist but
hello davexunit?)

Anyways, are there additional steps to take or things to know other than
submitting a GSoC proposal based on this?
https://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/guidelines.html

And what might be some ideas on the level for a undergrad with a bit of
experience?
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2019#Guix_Deploy

Sincerely,
Daniel Jiang

* Re: Interested in working on Guix for Google Summer of Code
@ 2019-03-27 15:21 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-03-27 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jiang; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello Daniel!

Daniel Jiang <jngdnl@gmail.com> skribis:

> I'm a student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, a huge
> emacs user, and have been curious about Guix/GuixSD for a while now. I
> found it as a possible project on GSoC and thought it'd be interesting to
> help work on if possible. The organization page on GSoC said to contact the
> mentors and was directed to the mailing list from #guix@freenode. I also
> recognize one of the mentors who wrote bindings to a game programming
> library for Guile because I was writing some for Common Lisp at the time,
> so small world lol. (I dunno if you're reading this or know I exist but
> hello davexunit?)

Nice!

> Anyways, are there additional steps to take or things to know other than
> submitting a GSoC proposal based on this?
> https://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/guidelines.html

To get a feel of the project, I’d suggest installing it and giving it a
try for yourself.  You can install the “binary tarball” on top of your
distro if you don’t feel like jumping into the standalone Guix system:

  https://gnu.org/s/guix/manual/en/html_node/Binary-Installation.html

Then we usually recommend that newcomers try adding a package definition
for their favorite piece of software.  It’s a good way to get started
with the code base:

  https://gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2018/a-packaging-tutorial-for-guix/
  https://gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Defining-Packages.html

> And what might be some ideas on the level for a undergrad with a bit of
> experience?
> https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2019#Guix_Deploy

I’m Cc’ing Dave Thompson (aka. davexunit) and Chris Webber
(aka. dustyweb) who would be your mentors, and I’ll let them answer.
:-)

Thank you for getting in touch with us!

Ludo’.