all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Does it make sense to package debops?
@ 2019-08-01 13:03 Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2019-08-01 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hi,

I just wonder whether I should package debops, a collection of ansible
roles for managing Debian systems.

Shall I?

I'm curious since you this is not to support guix. OTOH, ansible is
packaged, too, which is not of much use for guix IMHO .

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: Does it make sense to package debops?
@ 2019-08-01 14:03 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-08-01 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Hartmut,

> I just wonder whether I should package debops, a collection of ansible
> roles for managing Debian systems.
>
> Shall I?
>
> I'm curious since you this is not to support guix. OTOH, ansible is
> packaged, too, which is not of much use for guix IMHO .

I think it’s useful to have Ansible installable via Guix.  You can use
it to deploy remote machines.  While you probably wouldn’t use Ansible
to modify your Guix System it can still be valuable in a mixed
environment where the other machines don’t use Guix.

I think it’s fine to add debops to Guix.  It’s free software, uses free
software, and is used to manage free software distributions.  It’s all
good in that regard.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Does it make sense to package debops?
@ 2019-09-24 19:27 ` Divan Santana
From: Divan Santana @ 2019-09-24 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> writes:

> I just wonder whether I should package debops, a collection of ansible
> roles for managing Debian systems.
>
> Shall I?

I for one would greatly appreciate this since I run guix and am using
debops to manage other systems.

So if you do, that would be great!

On a side note, would you know how one could use debops from a guix
system in the meanwhile?

* Re: Does it make sense to package debops?
@ 2019-09-28 11:01   ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2019-09-28 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Am 24.09.19 um 21:27 schrieb Divan Santana:
> Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> writes:
>
>> I just wonder whether I should package debops, a collection of ansible
>> roles for managing Debian systems.
>>
>> Shall I?
> I for one would greatly appreciate this since I run guix and am using
> debops to manage other systems.
>
> So if you do, that would be great!

debops is in guix since a few days now.

> On a side note, would you know how one could use debops from a guix
> system in the meanwhile?
Like on any other system: `pip install --user debops`