all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* A simple question about the Guix logo.
@ 2023-12-26 14:19 DieRosedesNordens via
       [not found] ` <87le9e3t5u.fsf@lease-up.com>
From: DieRosedesNordens via @ 2023-12-26 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix@gnu.org

Esteemed recipients,

I greet you, a priori. With the appropriate salutations consummated, I will address the tonic theme of the discussion. It is notorious that the logo of this operating system called Guix is a letter V with a pair of horns on the sides. The question is this: why? There is no letter V in GNU, nor in Guix. The name of Ludovic Courtès does nor begin with V, and I dare say not even the name of the person who created the Guix logo begins with V. So why is the logo a letter V?

Attentively,
Me.

Enviado com o e-mail seguro de [Proton Mail](https://proton.me/).

* Re: A simple question about the Guix logo.
@ 2023-12-28 19:11 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
       [not found] ` <87le9e3t5u.fsf@lease-up.com>
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2023-12-28 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DieRosedesNordens, DieRosedesNordens via, help-guix@gnu.org

Dear me,

On 26 December 2023 14:19:32 UTC, DieRosedesNordens via <help-guix@gnu.org> wrote:
>It is notorious that the logo of this operating system called Guix is a letter V with a pair of horns on the sides.

You've been bamboozled.  There are no letters or other occult symbols hidden in the Guix logo.  Only a stylised gnu, as a nod to the GNU logo.

It was chosen because it looks awesome and super cool.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent on the go.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.

* Re: A simple question about the Guix logo.
@ 2023-12-28 19:18   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2023-12-28 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DieRosedesNordens, DieRosedesNordens via, help-guix@gnu.org

(Well there is the Guix/RISC-V 'logo' that I made in twelve seconds to slap on the Matrix room.  But everything else is lies.)

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent on the go.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.

[-- Attachment #2: Screenshot_20231228-201544_SchildiChat.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 22745 bytes --]

* Re: A simple question about the Guix logo.
@ 2023-12-28 21:16   ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2023-12-28 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, DieRosedesNordens, DieRosedesNordens via

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 867 bytes --]

Hi DieRosedesNordens, Tobias,

El 28/12/23 a las 19:11, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice escribió:
> Dear me,
>
> On 26 December 2023 14:19:32 UTC, DieRosedesNordens via <help-guix@gnu.org> wrote:
>> It is notorious that the logo of this operating system called Guix is a letter V with a pair of horns on the sides.
> You've been bamboozled.  There are no letters or other occult symbols hidden in the Guix logo.  Only a stylised gnu, as a nod to the GNU logo.

Ha, yeah, it is a stylized head of a young wildebeest. After drawing
some thumbnails, I decided I wanted a simple shape, and the V shape
worked for me when I started digitizing the idea, that's all.

Exploration thumbnails:
https://luis-felipe.gitlab.io/media/2015/guixsd-logo-thumbnails.png

I wouldn't mind :)

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

@ 2023-12-29 19:14   ` DieRosedesNordens
From: DieRosedesNordens @ 2023-12-29 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sirgazil@zoho.com, me@tobias.gr, felix.lechner@lease-up.com,
	help-guix@gnu.org

Honourable and respected recipients,

I am most grateful to you, for with the highest esteem and prodigious courtesy, you have enlightened me when doubt clouded my discernment. The stormy sky that was once my mind has become clear and limpid before your erudition. Your response, like a master key, opened the door that was previously locked to me.

Forgive me, I beseech you, for the absence of a gratuity, yet I ask you to accept my gratitude. I hope that your benevolence bears fruit and that the benign acts of solidarity you have shown me are returned to you twofold.

Forgive me, also, for the questions I will now pose, especially since I believe these questions pertain to an area of expertise different from yours.

A priori: if the init system of Guix is the GNU Shepherd, why is there a folder called “systemd” in “run”, which is located in “/”? Should it come with the installation of the operating system, regardless of the chosen desktop environment or window manager? If so, why? If not, is the folder present in specific desktop environments, like Mate, coming with them during installation? If so, why? If both answers are denials, is it credible to suppose that the folder exists due to the subsequent installation of some package, and in that case, there is no way for you to explain to me why. This even more strange, because ps -p 1 -o comm= says the init system is, in fact, GNU Shepherd, but if this is the case, why this folder is there?

A posteriori: does Guix have telemetry?

With admiration and respect,

@ 2023-12-30  0:04     ` Felix Lechner via
From: Felix Lechner via @ 2023-12-30  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DieRosedesNordens, sirgazil@zoho.com, me@tobias.gr,
	help-guix@gnu.org

Dear Sir,

On Fri, Dec 29 2023, DieRosedesNordens wrote:

> Forgive me, I beseech you, for the absence of a gratuity, yet I ask
> you to accept my gratitude. I hope that your benevolence bears fruit
> and that the benign acts of solidarity you have shown me are returned
> to you twofold.

Thank you, my lord, for your compassion. Generosity is an act of the
mind, anyway. Your noble concern offers a most valuable nourishment to
your obliging servants.

> if the init system of Guix is the GNU Shepherd, why is there a folder
> called “systemd” in “run”, which is located in “/”? Should it come
> with the installation of the operating system, regardless of the
> chosen desktop environment or window manager? If so, why?

Your most favorite folder---or your least, as the case may be---is
wanted by a pesky package called 'elogind' and therefore installed on
all systems using the elogind-service-type. [1][2]

Elogind is most commonly obligatory in the GNOME suite of servant
tools. Your humble respondent cannot speak for the wisdom of the other
environments that aim to support the interactive comfort of your high
excellency.

> is it credible to suppose that the folder exists due to the subsequent
> installation of some package

No. As your highness may discern above, it is part of the
elogind-service-type.

> why this folder is there?

We are an inclusive community, my lord, and aim to please users of
various desktop environments.

Your attention to this matter lifted the souls of many.

With our utmost gratitude,

[1] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/system/file-systems.scm#n463
[2] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/services/desktop.scm#n1254

* Re: A simple question about the Guix logo.
@ 2024-01-02 10:44       ` DieRosedesNordens
From: DieRosedesNordens @ 2024-01-02 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Lechner; +Cc: sirgazil@zoho.com, me@tobias.gr, help-guix@gnu.org

Honorable recipient,

I beg your pardon for the lack of brevity in my response.

As for the tonic theme of the discussion, I find myself obliged to say that your aforementioned explanation is most logical. The only unsatisfactory part is the absence of a response to me last question, "does Guix have telemetry?" It is deducible that this is a foolish question and, with complete frankness, I have no defense against this accusation.

Regardless, I wish a New Year full of prosperity and happiness for you three and for your families.

Sincerely,
Me.