all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* printing pdf with evince
@ 2019-02-19 18:28 nightowl
From: nightowl @ 2019-02-19 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help guix

I recently notice that when I try to send a pdf document to the printer
using the gnome viewer evince, it will not print text.  For comparison,
I can also print a pdf document from within the icecat browser, and it
works good.  Anyone know why evince would behave this way when printing
hard copy of text from a pdf?  I read that the gnome settings key
'override-restrictions' for org.gnome.Evince schema should be set to
'true' and that is what I currently have by default.

* Re: printing pdf with evince
@ 2019-02-20  4:23 ` Eric Bavier
From: Eric Bavier @ 2019-02-20  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nightowl; +Cc: Help guix

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 12:28:35 -0600
nightowl <nightowl@members.fsf.org> wrote:

> I recently notice that when I try to send a pdf document to the printer
> using the gnome viewer evince, it will not print text.  For comparison,
> I can also print a pdf document from within the icecat browser, and it
> works good.  Anyone know why evince would behave this way when printing
> hard copy of text from a pdf?  I read that the gnome settings key
> 'override-restrictions' for org.gnome.Evince schema should be set to
> 'true' and that is what I currently have by default.

I just noticed this recently on my machine too.  Evince does not print
nor display most (all?) of the nonembedded fonts in several documents
I've opened.  The "document properties" -> "Fonts" window says that
GuixSD system fonts are being substituted, e.g. the Liberation fonts,
but they are not displayed.

No solution, just saying it's not just you,
`~Eric

* Re: printing pdf with evince
@ 2019-02-21  0:32   ` nightowl
From: nightowl @ 2019-02-21  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Bavier; +Cc: Help guix

I think I am using 'Evince' though it is actually called 'Document
Viewer' in Gnome 3 which is what I have GuixSD configured to run.  I my
case, there is no problem viewing the document from the screen, the
fonts appear ok there on every document I have opened.  It is only when
I try to print out something on paper that text does not appear in the
hard copy.  Also for comparison with your problem, I see the "document
properties" -> "Fonts" window says 'all fonts are either standard or
embedded' then it presents a very long list of fonts in the document.
It does not say anything about substitution unless I am misreading it.
Maybe your problem is somewhat different, though they both relate to the
fonts in some way.

On 2019-02-19 10:23 pm, Eric Bavier wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 12:28:35 -0600
> nightowl <nightowl@members.fsf.org> wrote:
>
>> I recently notice that when I try to send a pdf document to the
>> printer
>> using the gnome viewer evince, it will not print text.  For
>> comparison,
>> I can also print a pdf document from within the icecat browser, and it
>> works good.  Anyone know why evince would behave this way when
>> printing
>> hard copy of text from a pdf?  I read that the gnome settings key
>> 'override-restrictions' for org.gnome.Evince schema should be set to
>> 'true' and that is what I currently have by default.
>>

> I just noticed this recently on my machine too.  Evince does not print
> nor display most (all?) of the nonembedded fonts in several documents
> I've opened.  The "document properties" -> "Fonts" window says that
> GuixSD system fonts are being substituted, e.g. the Liberation fonts,
> but they are not displayed.
>
> No solution, just saying it's not just you,
> `~Eric

* Re: printing pdf with evince
@ 2019-02-22  4:01 ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2019-02-22  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nightowl; +Cc: Help guix

Hi nightowl,

nightowl <nightowl@members.fsf.org> writes:

> I recently notice that when I try to send a pdf document to the
> printer using the gnome viewer evince, it will not print text.  For
> comparison, I can also print a pdf document from within the icecat
> browser, and it works good.  Anyone know why evince would behave this
> way when printing hard copy of text from a pdf?  I read that the gnome
> settings key 'override-restrictions' for org.gnome.Evince schema
> should be set to 'true' and that is what I currently have by default.

That's probably worth filing a bug report about.  The fact that you can
print via Icecat is interesting.  I've had...trouble...printing from
Guix System (formerly known as GuixSD) in the past.  But I think what
you're experiencing may be different from what I experienced.

Are you able to print a test page successfully from the cups web
interface?  To try this, go to:

http://localhost:631/

Click on "Printers".  Select the printer you want.  Click on the
"Maintenance" drop-down menu.  Select "Print Test Page".  You can watch
the status of the job in the web interface, also.

Also, you might be able to find out more about why the Evince print job
is misbehaving if you examine it in the CUPS web interface.  You can
also modify CUPS logging to make it log more verbose messages.  I've
found that helps narrow down problems sometimes.  You can sometimes find
interesting error messages that way.

I'd also look into debugging Evince - maybe it has an option that spits
out more verbose messages?  Try starting it on the command line with
"evince"; maybe it's saying something useful.

I hope that helps.  You're not alone!  Let's try to solve this
together.  I wish printing were easier.  :-(

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: printing pdf with evince
@ 2019-03-11 16:03   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-03-11 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Bavier; +Cc: Help guix, nightowl

Hello,

Eric Bavier <ericbavier@centurylink.net> skribis:

> On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 12:28:35 -0600
> nightowl <nightowl@members.fsf.org> wrote:
>
>> I recently notice that when I try to send a pdf document to the printer
>> using the gnome viewer evince, it will not print text.  For comparison,
>> I can also print a pdf document from within the icecat browser, and it
>> works good.  Anyone know why evince would behave this way when printing
>> hard copy of text from a pdf?  I read that the gnome settings key
>> 'override-restrictions' for org.gnome.Evince schema should be set to
>> 'true' and that is what I currently have by default.
>>

> I just noticed this recently on my machine too.  Evince does not print
> nor display most (all?) of the nonembedded fonts in several documents
> I've opened.  The "document properties" -> "Fonts" window says that
> GuixSD system fonts are being substituted, e.g. the Liberation fonts,
> but they are not displayed.

On a high-end printer with a non-Guix CUPS service running, I can print
just fine.  However I’ve seen the problem you describe with a low-end
printer and the CUPS service provided by Guix.

Could it be that our CUPS service somehow fails to find the standard
PostScript fonts, those normally provided by the ‘gs-fonts’ package?

Thanks,
Ludo’.