all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* patch question: any tool to download patches from guix patch mailing list?
@ 2023-06-16 18:55 Andy Tai
From: Andy Tai @ 2023-06-16 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi, this is more a developer question:

Guix patches are posted to guix-patches mailing list.   Is there any
tool that makes it easy to download a particular patch series from the
mailing list archive or the Guix issue web site so it is easy to apply
a patch series to a local checkout of the guix git repo?

This is to mainly easily test guix package definition patches.

(There seems to be tool like b4 or patchworks for Linux kernel
developers and their mailing lists but not sure if similar tools exist
for GNU (or Guix specific) development mailing lists)

(not sure if this question shall be posted to guix-devel; I try here first).

* Re: patch question: any tool to download patches from guix patch mailing list?
@ 2023-06-17 15:28 ` Giovanni Biscuolo
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Giovanni Biscuolo @ 2023-06-17 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tai, help-guix

Hi Andy,

Andy Tai <atai@atai.org> writes:

[...]

> (There seems to be tool like b4 or patchworks for Linux kernel
> developers and their mailing lists but not sure if similar tools exist
> for GNU (or Guix specific) development mailing lists)

what you ask has been discussed several times in guix-devel since a
smoother "send and recieve patches workflow" is a very common desire :-)

I'm still not extensively using the tools I mention in 2. so I have no
"hands on" suggestions, I'm currenly using 1 (but still not emacs-piem).

1. use notmuch (possibly with emacs-piem)

if already a notmuch user **and** you are subscribed to the patches
mailing list, for a single patch you can copy the patch message-id (cI
to stash it) and use

$ notmuch show --format=mbox id:XXX | git am

for a single patch, or

$ notmuch show --format=mbox thread:XXX | git am

for a whole series

(https://notmuch.notmuchmail.narkive.com/V2cK3dJb/handling-patch-from-mail)

if you are comfortable with emacs, emacs-piem can be used as a frontend
to apply patches from a Notmuch (or Gnus) buffer (or editable pop up
mbox buffer):
https://docs.kyleam.com/piem/Applying-patches.html#Applying-patches

2. Use b4 and public-inbox related tools

the advantage of b4 is that you are not "forced" to be subscribed to the
patches mailing list(s) since it can apply patches from a public-inbox
backed mailing list

https://yhetil.org/guix/20201114003906.25111-1-kyle@kyleam.com/

This is a thread that explains how to use b4 with the guix-patches
(unofficial) public-inbox, this is an executive summary:

$ # in the guix repo
$ git config b4.attestation-policy off
$ git config b4.midmask https://yhetil.org/guix-patches/%s
$ b4 am <message-id>

If you use Emacs there is a frontend: emacs-piem

3. keep looking at mumi

recently (April 2023 [1]) the "mumi send-email" CLI was added to help in
/sending/ patches

maybe one day a CLI will be added to ""mumi git-am" in a similar way as
the workflow in 1.

On May 2022 [2] Ludovic sent a "super-early-draft" of a "guix review"
command on the guix-devel mailing list and there was some consensus that
it should become "mumi review", but no development was done since then
AFAIK

HTH, Happy hacking! Gio'

[1] https://yhetil.org/guix/87mt2xiab3.fsf@systemreboot.net

[2] https://yhetil.org/guix/87a6btymzz.fsf@gnu.org

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: patch question: any tool to download patches from guix patch mailing list?
@ 2023-06-17 16:59 ` Hilton Chain
From: Hilton Chain @ 2023-06-17 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tai; +Cc: Giovanni Biscuolo, help-guix

You can try "View series on Patchwork" on qa.guix.gnu.org.

* Re: patch question: any tool to download patches from guix patch mailing list?
@ 2023-06-17 17:44 ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2023-06-17 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tai; +Cc: help-guix

Andy Tai <atai@atai.org> writes:

> Hi, this is more a developer question:
>
> Guix patches are posted to guix-patches mailing list.   Is there any
> tool that makes it easy to download a particular patch series from the
> mailing list archive or the Guix issue web site so it is easy to apply
> a patch series to a local checkout of the guix git repo?
>
> This is to mainly easily test guix package definition patches.
>
> (There seems to be tool like b4 or patchworks for Linux kernel
> developers and their mailing lists but not sure if similar tools exist
> for GNU (or Guix specific) development mailing lists)
>
> (not sure if this question shall be posted to guix-devel; I try here first).

The qa-frontpage (at qa.guix.gnu.org) tries to apply patches and push
branches for each issue to a Git repository (currently here [1]).

1: https://git.guix-patches.cbaines.net/guix-patches/

That's mostly so that it can test the patch series, but it might be
useful to you as well.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: patch question: any tool to download patches from guix patch mailing list?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-06-18 20:28 ` Jelle Licht
From: Jelle Licht @ 2023-06-18 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tai, help-guix

Hi Andy,

Andy Tai <atai@atai.org> writes:

> Hi, this is more a developer question:
>
> Guix patches are posted to guix-patches mailing list.   Is there any
> tool that makes it easy to download a particular patch series from the
> mailing list archive or the Guix issue web site so it is easy to apply
> a patch series to a local checkout of the guix git repo?
>
> This is to mainly easily test guix package definition patches.
>
> (There seems to be tool like b4 or patchworks for Linux kernel
> developers and their mailing lists but not sure if similar tools exist
> for GNU (or Guix specific) development mailing lists)

I know it was already mentioned, but some features were recently added
to piem (patch waiting over at https://issues.guix.gnu.org/64155) to
integrate it with debbugs.el, the Emacs debbugs interface. This makes it
(IMHO) a fairly easy to apply some patches locally.

I have this set up with (something similar to) the following:
(setq piem-inboxes
      (("guix-patches"
        :coderepo ("/home/jlicht/Documents/guix")
	:url "https://yhetil.org/guix-patches"
	:listid "guix-patches.gnu.org"
	:address "guix-patches@gnu.org"
	:gnu-package "guix-patches")))

(require 'piem)
(piem-gnus-mode 1)
(piem-debbugs-mode 1)

(require 'debbugs)
(defun debbugs-gnu-guix ()
  "List Guix issues."
  (interactive)
  (debbugs-gnu '("serious" "important" "normal") '("guix-patches") nil t))

With the configuration taken care of, just `M-x debbugs-gnu-guix',
navigate to any issue (just put point on an issue you are interested in)
and run `M-x piem-b4-am'. It should pull down all needed messages (from
yhetil's public inbox mirror), and use some heuristics to apply the most
recent patch revision, taking into account either 'git send-email' or
attachment-based patch series.

Hope this additional data point is useful.

- Jelle

* Re: patch question: any tool to download patches from guix patch mailing list?
@ 2023-06-19  8:33   ` Giovanni Biscuolo
From: Giovanni Biscuolo @ 2023-06-19  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jelle Licht, Andy Tai, help-guix

Hi!

Jelle Licht <jlicht@fsfe.org> writes:

[...]

> I know it was already mentioned, but some features were recently added
> to piem (patch waiting over at https://issues.guix.gnu.org/64155) to
> integrate it with debbugs.el,

great!  I missed it (v. 0.5.0 released few hours ago [1]); thank you for
the patch to the Guix package!

> the Emacs debbugs interface. This makes it
> (IMHO) a fairly easy to apply some patches locally.
>
> I have this set up with (something similar to) the following:
> (setq piem-inboxes
>       (("guix-patches"
>         :coderepo ("/home/jlicht/Documents/guix")
> 	:url "https://yhetil.org/guix-patches"
> 	:listid "guix-patches.gnu.org"
> 	:address "guix-patches@gnu.org"
> 	:gnu-package "guix-patches")))
>
> (require 'piem)
> (piem-gnus-mode 1)
> (piem-debbugs-mode 1)
>
> (require 'debbugs)
> (defun debbugs-gnu-guix ()
>   "List Guix issues."
>   (interactive)
>   (debbugs-gnu '("serious" "important" "normal") '("guix-patches") nil t))
>
> With the configuration taken care of, just `M-x debbugs-gnu-guix',
> navigate to any issue (just put point on an issue you are interested in)
> and run `M-x piem-b4-am'. It should pull down all needed messages (from
> yhetil's public inbox mirror), and use some heuristics to apply the most
> recent patch revision, taking into account either 'git send-email' or
> attachment-based patch series.

Thank you for the explanation, it's very valuable since this new feature
is not well documented on the pien online manual at
https://docs.kyleam.com/piem/
(e.g. https://docs.kyleam.com/piem/Lisp-Function-Index.html mentions
piem-debbugs-mode but no other documentation is found)

[...]

Happy hacking! Gio'

[1] https://git.kyleam.com/piem/tree/Documentation/RelNotes/0.5.0.txt

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: patch question: any tool to download patches from guix patch mailing list?
@ 2023-06-19 15:05     ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2023-06-19 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Biscuolo; +Cc: Jelle Licht, Andy Tai, help-guix

Hi,

Giovanni Biscuolo <g@xelera.eu> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Jelle Licht <jlicht@fsfe.org> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> I know it was already mentioned, but some features were recently added
>> to piem (patch waiting over at https://issues.guix.gnu.org/64155) to
>> integrate it with debbugs.el,
>
> great!  I missed it (v. 0.5.0 released few hours ago [1]); thank you for
> the patch to the Guix package!
>
>> the Emacs debbugs interface. This makes it
>> (IMHO) a fairly easy to apply some patches locally.
>>
>> I have this set up with (something similar to) the following:
>> (setq piem-inboxes
>>       (("guix-patches"
>>         :coderepo ("/home/jlicht/Documents/guix")
>> 	:url "https://yhetil.org/guix-patches"
>> 	:listid "guix-patches.gnu.org"
>> 	:address "guix-patches@gnu.org"
>> 	:gnu-package "guix-patches")))
>>
>> (require 'piem)
>> (piem-gnus-mode 1)
>> (piem-debbugs-mode 1)
>>
>> (require 'debbugs)
>> (defun debbugs-gnu-guix ()
>>   "List Guix issues."
>>   (interactive)
>>   (debbugs-gnu '("serious" "important" "normal") '("guix-patches") nil t))
>>
>> With the configuration taken care of, just `M-x debbugs-gnu-guix',
>> navigate to any issue (just put point on an issue you are interested in)
>> and run `M-x piem-b4-am'. It should pull down all needed messages (from
>> yhetil's public inbox mirror), and use some heuristics to apply the most
>> recent patch revision, taking into account either 'git send-email' or
>> attachment-based patch series.
>
> Thank you for the explanation, it's very valuable since this new feature
> is not well documented on the pien online manual at
> https://docs.kyleam.com/piem/
> (e.g. https://docs.kyleam.com/piem/Lisp-Function-Index.html mentions
> piem-debbugs-mode but no other documentation is found)

That's very cool.  I haven't tried it yet, but if it works as well as
advertised, it'd make sense to document it in our manual.  Perhaps a new
"Applying patches" subsection to the 'Contributing' chapter?

Maxim