all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* UEFI cannot find partition after guix system reconfigure
@ 2017-10-20 17:46 Oleg Pykhalov
From: Oleg Pykhalov @ 2017-10-20 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Guix,

I had an issue yesterday.  After 'guix system reconfigure' I couldn't
boot, because there is no a menu entry in UEFI boot menu.

So, I solved this by following Gentoo wiki article¹.

Boot with LiveUSB XUbuntu 16.04.  Any distribution that could boot via
UEFI and provides efibootmgr app will work.

Create new boot menu entry:

    # efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p 1 -L "GuixSD" -l "\EFI\boot\grubx64.efi"

Check created boot menu entry:

    # efibootmgr -v

I have a little question.

Does GuixSD overwrite this boot entry with efibootmgr or similar every
'guix system reconfigure'?

¹ https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Efibootmgr

Thanks,
Oleg.

* Re: UEFI cannot find partition after guix system reconfigure
@ 2017-10-20 21:11 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-10-20 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Pykhalov; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

Oleg Pykhalov <go.wigust@gmail.com> skribis:

> I had an issue yesterday.  After 'guix system reconfigure' I couldn't
> boot, because there is no a menu entry in UEFI boot menu.
>
> So, I solved this by following Gentoo wiki article¹.
>
> Boot with LiveUSB XUbuntu 16.04.  Any distribution that could boot via
> UEFI and provides efibootmgr app will work.
>
> Create new boot menu entry:
>
>     # efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p 1 -L "GuixSD" -l "\EFI\boot\grubx64.efi"
>
> Check created boot menu entry:
>
>     # efibootmgr -v
>

> I have a little question.
>
> Does GuixSD overwrite this boot entry with efibootmgr or similar every
> 'guix system reconfigure'?

‘guix system reconfigure’ simply runs ‘grub-install’, which is supposed
to do the right thing.  I’ve used UEFI on my laptop since before 0.13.0
and it works great.

Did ‘grub-install’ emit a warning when you reconfigured, something about
EFI variables?

HTH,
Ludo’.