all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Tutorial: Running XFCE from Guix on a foreign distribution
@ 2019-11-17 18:16 Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2019-11-17 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, help-guix

Hello Guixers,

Here is an end-to-end tutorial for running Guix XFCE on CentOS 7:

https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2019/running-a-guix-xfce-desktop-on-centos-7/

It has only been tested on a special CentOS "appliance", but should be
easily adaptable to other systemd-based distributions.

Please share your experience trying it with other operating systems or
desktop environments for an eventual cookbook entry.

Enjoy!

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Tutorial: Running XFCE from Guix on a foreign distribution
@ 2019-11-17 19:18 ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-11-17 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke, guix-devel, help-guix

Fantastic, this is a very welcome tutorial to help spread Guix among
users on foreign distributions.

I vote for adding it to the cookbook! :)

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

@ 2019-11-21 12:04   ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2019-11-21 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: Guix Devel, help-guix, Marius Bakke

Hi Marius,

I have tried on the top of Debian.

Instead of "/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc-common" in the .xinitrc file, it is
just "/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc". Then it works. \o/

However, after a couple of minutes, my normal X session (C-M-F7) using
AwesomeWM crashes and log out. The XFCE remains. Maybe I am doing
something wrong.

Otherwise, even if I am not sure to understand how I can use it, thank
you for the blog post; I have learnt some interesting stuff! :-)

All the best,
simon

* Re: Tutorial: Running XFCE from Guix on a foreign distribution
@ 2019-11-21 19:09     ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2019-11-21 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun, Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: Guix Devel, help-guix

> Hi Marius,
>
> I have tried on the top of Debian.
>
> Instead of "/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc-common" in the .xinitrc file, it is
> just "/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc". Then it works. \o/

Cool, thanks for testing!

> However, after a couple of minutes, my normal X session (C-M-F7) using
> AwesomeWM crashes and log out. The XFCE remains. Maybe I am doing
> something wrong.

Did you use a different user account?

Do the system logs contain any information about why it crashed?  In
particular /var/log/Xorg.0.log if it exists.

> Otherwise, even if I am not sure to understand how I can use it, thank
> you for the blog post; I have learnt some interesting stuff! :-)

Great, thanks for the feedback.  :-)

@ 2019-11-22 14:13       ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2019-11-22 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: Guix Devel, help-guix

Hi Marius,

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 at 20:09, Marius Bakke <marius@devup.no> wrote:

> Did you use a different user account?

No, same user account.

> Do the system logs contain any information about why it crashed?  In
> particular /var/log/Xorg.0.log if it exists.

I see nothing which seems relevant.
Because I do not need this "feature", for now I will not investigate
more and stay focused on other tasks. :-)
I will keep you in touch when I will be back on this very topic.

Thank you for your explanations and details.

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Tutorial: Running XFCE from Guix on a foreign distribution
@ 2019-11-24 22:18         ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2019-11-24 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Guix Devel, help-guix