all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Encrypted Images?
@ 2024-03-06 18:53 Christopher Howard
From: Christopher Howard @ 2024-03-06 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Guix

Hi, I've recently starting learning how to use `guix system image', and have learned enough to create one raw image which I was able to copy onto a hard drive on another computer.

I am wondering if it is possible to use `guix system image' to create an image that is luks encrypted, with the other file systems and OS installed on that. If not, can I setup an luks-encrypted image manually and then have guix system install to that somehow, without having to boot up into an installer disc and run through all the installation steps?

I see documentation in the manual for the luks target, of course, but I am unclear on how that ties into guix system image and how much guix system is able to do on its own.

--
📛 Christopher Howard
🚀 gemini://gem.librehacker.com

בראשית ברא אלהים את השמים ואת הארץ

* Re: Encrypted Images?
@ 2024-03-08  2:14 ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2024-03-08  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Howard; +Cc: Help Guix

Hi Christopher,

Christopher Howard <christopher@librehacker.com> writes:

> Hi, I've recently starting learning how to use `guix system image',
> and have learned enough to create one raw image which I was able to
> copy onto a hard drive on another computer.
>
> I am wondering if it is possible to use `guix system image' to create
> an image that is luks encrypted, with the other file systems and OS
> installed on that. If not, can I setup an luks-encrypted image
> manually and then have guix system install to that somehow, without
> having to boot up into an installer disc and run through all the
> installation steps?
>
> I see documentation in the manual for the luks target, of course, but
> I am unclear on how that ties into guix system image and how much guix
> system is able to do on its own.

It's not currently possible; 'guix system' doesn't offer much in terms
of declaring partitions layouts, creating file systems, LUKS layers,
etc.

Maxim

* Re: Encrypted Images?
@ 2024-03-11 11:29 ` Oleg Pykhalov