all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* "Unsupported manifest format" error, likely corrupt store
@ 2022-11-26 21:34 Tyler Wolf via
From: Tyler Wolf via @ 2022-11-26 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix@gnu.org

Hello,

Yesterday my PC lost power and when I turned it back on I started getting the error "guix package: unsupported manifest format".

I have tried using "guix time-machine" to revert to a working commit and try again but this does not work. I have also tried a roll-back.

I then can see that my ~/.guix-profile/manifest is empty, thus I think it is safe to say that this is where the issue is originating, however I am unable to rewrite this file, so I was wondering if there was any fix to this?

I have tried everything that I can think of to repopulate this file, running guix pull as well as pulling certain past commits that worked, however nothing is fixing this error. Running pull works without errors, but the problem persists.

I think that my store must be corrupt, as if I run guix gc --verify=contents I get a lot of path was modified, expected hash x, got y errors. I have tried fixing this using repair flag for gc but it is unable to repair these.

I also used the command "guix refresh" and saw that many packages needed to be refreshed, however I cannot finish this command as I get the following error:

Backtrace:
13 (primitive-load "/home/tyler/.config/guix/current/bin/g…")
In guix/ui.scm:
2275:7 12 (run-guix . _)
2238:10 11 (run-guix-command _ . _)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
1752:10 10 (with-exception-handler _ _ #:unwind? _ # _)
1752:10 9 (with-exception-handler _ _ #:unwind? _ # _)
In guix/store.scm:
661:37 8 (thunk)
2170:25 7 (run-with-store #<store-connection 256.99 7f411174b7d0> …)
In guix/scripts/refresh.scm:
567:14 6 (_ _)
In srfi/srfi-1.scm:
634:9 5 (for-each #<procedure 7f411d493340 at guix/scripts/ref…> …)
In guix/scripts/refresh.scm:
367:10 4 (check-for-package-update #<package xkbset@0.6 gnu/pac…> …)
In srfi/srfi-1.scm:
858:15 3 (any1 #<procedure 7f41202d2da0 at guix/upstream.scm:28…> …)
In guix/gnu-maintenance.scm:
842:10 2 (_ _ . _)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
1685:16 1 (raise-exception _ #:continuable? _)
1685:16 0 (raise-exception _ #:continuable? _)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,Tyler Wolf

* Re: "Unsupported manifest format" error, likely corrupt store
@ 2022-11-26 21:43 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2022-11-26 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tyler Wolf, help-guix@gnu.org

Don't bother with guix refresh, it's meant for huix devs.

If you have a previous generation of your profile, you could try and switch to it (guix package --roll-back), but you said that didn't work. You can also switch manually by repeating the steps Guix would take behind the scenes, manually.

You'll notice that ~/.guix-profile is a symlink to /var/guix/profiles/per-user/tyler/guix-profile. It itself is a symlink to the current generation, a file such as guix-profile-17-link. Change that last symlink to point to the previous generation instead, such as guix-profile-16-link. That's all you need to switch generation. Hopefully, that generation's manifest is not corrupted.

@ 2022-11-27 12:30 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2022-11-27 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tyler Wolf, help-guix@gnu.org

Hi Tyler,

On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 at 21:34, Tyler Wolf via <help-guix@gnu.org> wrote:

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Why did you sent the exact same message as a bug report?

bug#59598: "Unsupported manifest format" error
Fri, 25 Nov 2022 22:06:12 +0000
id:Z5CVux4CVeq8xfPo9ox1Y3zUxvSO9h1NuaZ7Rn3ucl4bmvuNd-pVgrQqU1x3YaRKbK7FwcKTtLFekoAJDHndWvB19PyReLnRgmUtvHK6L0U=@twolf.io
https://yhetil.org/guix/Z5CVux4CVeq8xfPo9ox1Y3zUxvSO9h1NuaZ7Rn3ucl4bmvuNd-pVgrQqU1x3YaRKbK7FwcKTtLFekoAJDHndWvB19PyReLnRgmUtvHK6L0U=@twolf.io

Cheers,